Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: 21

Post by StevensTechU »

He didn't look terribly... anything. Kinda just a body out there. Not super fast, shifty, etc. He did make one big play where he could've attempted to go through a tackler near the line to gain, but bounced a little outside and got exactly what he needed for the first.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

He averaged 3.25 yards per carry. He got 16 carries and at that kind of ypc that may seem like a lot but Dye had 28 carries and while he didn't seem gassed 28 is quite a load.

21 was not a high yards per carry guy in high school so his 18 yards per carry against Colorado being the first thing most of us all saw put unrealistic expectations in many peoples eyes. He was the beneficiary of some massive holes against Colorado and perhaps that was due to Colorado not respecting the run when he came in for Dye.

I think he'll be good back, but the comparisons to LMJ are way off, they are completely different style backs.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

He seems like he is still figuring everything out at the college level. He will be really good in a couple years.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Yup^

Thompson is not ready. He’s not a Herbert or a Mariota who can hit the ground running from day 1. He’s gonna need more time.
What!!!!! Over one bad spring game? Listen you can give up on Ty Thompson if you want to but no quarterback plays great the first actual season. Mariota red shirted for a whole year which is basically what Ty Thompson is doing now. The only person that the Duck's threw to the wolves was Burmeister right out of high school. I thought Butterfield out played Brown and Ty Thompson together in the Spring Game and that was concerning but not enough where I give up on both players. I'll admit I'm high on what I've seen out of Butterfield in that spring game and I wouldn't mind if Butterfield became the guy next year but I'm not giving up on Ty Thompson's greatness just yet. I remember trying to not get too hyped about him because of what happened with Travis Jonson but then once I seen him play he was more like a younger and taller Vernon Adams and I'm cool with that. Also Ty Thompson out played everyone in the Stony Brook game are we just going to forget about that????
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

Now back to the topic at hand. Although Cardwell doesn't really remind me of the GOAT 21 he does remind me of the other greatest 21 which is Royce Freeman. Royce was kind of an unknown that dominated the San Diego area and that is sort of what Cardwell has done. In fact Cardwell was the higher rated recruit but if you looked at Royce's stats and not his stars you knew he was going to do some big things even if Tyner was the one getting most of the attention at that time. Royce's stats being almost as good as Tyner's but playing in the San Diego area was a hint that Royce was going to be great.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

duck023 wrote:Now back to the topic at hand. Although Cardwell doesn't really remind me of the GOAT 21 he does remind me of the other greatest 21 which is Royce Freeman. Royce was kind of an unknown that dominated the San Diego area and that is sort of what Cardwell has done. In fact Cardwell was the higher rated recruit but if you looked at Royce's stats and not his stars you knew he was going to do some big things even if Tyner was the one getting most of the attention at that time. Royce's stats being almost as good as Tyner's but playing in the San Diego area was a hint that Royce was going to be great.
He’s quicker and shiftier than Royce, but not as much of a force (yet). You can still see him trying to process the cuts though, once he figures that out sky is the limit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

duck023 wrote:Now back to the topic at hand. Although Cardwell doesn't really remind me of the GOAT 21 he does remind me of the other greatest 21 which is Royce Freeman. Royce was kind of an unknown that dominated the San Diego area and that is sort of what Cardwell has done. In fact Cardwell was the higher rated recruit but if you looked at Royce's stats and not his stars you knew he was going to do some big things even if Tyner was the one getting most of the attention at that time. Royce's stats being almost as good as Tyner's but playing in the San Diego area was a hint that Royce was going to be great.
Royce Freeman was a fringe 5-star and #34 overall in his recruiting class. He broke just about every rushing record there was in his area as a 4-year starter and was considered by many to be the best SD-area RB prospect since Reggie Bush.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

StevensTechU wrote:
Royce Freeman was a fringe 5-star and #34 overall in his recruiting class. He broke just about every rushing record there was in his area as a 4-year starter and was considered by many to be the best SD-area RB prospect since Reggie Bush.
From what I remember he was a 3 star but he might have been a 4 star. I know he wasn't a 5 star because Tyner was the 5 star that year.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Again, Royce was a high 4-star and #34 overall. Tyner and him were in different recruiting classes. Thomas was a year older.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

duck023 wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:Yup^

Thompson is not ready. He’s not a Herbert or a Mariota who can hit the ground running from day 1. He’s gonna need more time.
What!!!!! Over one bad spring game? Listen you can give up on Ty Thompson if you want to but no quarterback plays great the first actual season. Mariota red shirted for a whole year which is basically what Ty Thompson is doing now. The only person that the Duck's threw to the wolves was Burmeister right out of high school. I thought Butterfield out played Brown and Ty Thompson together in the Spring Game and that was concerning but not enough where I give up on both players. I'll admit I'm high on what I've seen out of Butterfield in that spring game and I wouldn't mind if Butterfield became the guy next year but I'm not giving up on Ty Thompson's greatness just yet. I remember trying to not get too hyped about him because of what happened with Travis Jonson but then once I seen him play he was more like a younger and taller Vernon Adams and I'm cool with that. Also Ty Thompson out played everyone in the Stony Brook game are we just going to forget about that????
by the way I meant "giving up" jokingly. I know that you haven't actually given up on him and I get where you are coming from because Oregon has had guy's like Travis Jonson that looked like the next big thing. I always wanted Vernon Adams to stay longer and hopefully Ty Thompson can become similar because he does remind me of him but a lot taller.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

StevensTechU wrote:Again, Royce was a high 4-star and #34 overall. Tyner and him were in different recruiting classes. Thomas was a year older.

And we turned down Mixon that year. I know he had a run in at OU, but Freeman and Micon would have been unbelievable.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

duck023 wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
From what I remember he was a 3 star but he might have been a 4 star. I know he wasn't a 5 star because Tyner was the 5 star that year.
Your memory might need a tune-up. As Stu said Royce was the #34 overall recruit in the country and 247 had him as a five star, #15 overall and the top recruit in California: https://247sports.com/Player/Royce-Free ... ool-32677/

Royce absolutely dominated high school football and was considered as can’t miss of a RB recruit as there could possibly be. He scored 3 TDs in the US Army All America game lol, I think people knew who he was despite him coming from the armpit’s butthole that is Imperial, CA.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

GoDucksTroll wrote:
duck023 wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
Your memory might need a tune-up. As Stu said Royce was the #34 overall recruit in the country and 247 had him as a five star, #15 overall and the top recruit in California: https://247sports.com/Player/Royce-Free ... ool-32677/

Royce absolutely dominated high school football and was considered as can’t miss of a RB recruit as there could possibly be. He scored 3 TDs in the US Army All America game lol, I think people knew who he was despite him coming from the armpit’s butthole that is Imperial, CA.
IIt looks like you guy's are right he was ranked closer to Tyner than I thought. I also thought Oregon got them both in the same year and Tyner over shadowed him for a while. I might have be right about Tyner overshadowing him for a while but they didn't come out the same year which surprised me. See I remember thinking he was a can't miss recruit based on his stats but I thought he should be ranked higher I guess I thought 4 star was too low for him. Seastrunk was another running back that had a really high ranking, so compared to DeAnthony Thomas, Seastrunk, and Tyner he seemed underrated.
Last edited by duck023 on Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

I don't remember Tyner over shadowing anyone during his time here.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

duck023 wrote:
GoDucksTroll wrote:
duck023 wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:

It looks like you guy's are right he was ranked closer to Tyner than I thought. I also thought Oregon got them both in the same year and Tyner over shadowed him for a while. I might have be right about Tyner overshadowing him for a while but they didn't come out the same year which surprised me. See I remember thinking he was a can't miss recruit based on his stats but I thought he should be ranked higher I guess I thought 4 star was too low for him. Seastrunk was another running back that had a really high ranking, so compared to DeAnthony Thomas, Seastrunk, and Tyner he seemed underrated.