Pittman Twitter

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: Pittman Twitter

Post by Duck07 »

9 out of 10 times the "lying" that Coaches do in recruiting is about a players possible role in their position.

When Pittman was being recruited a lot of what the coaches told him was true. Once you get on campus, you still have to earn your reps and a few years in now with other WRs producing, the narrative changes to "we were lied to." No, Mycah simply isn't as talented as Michael while the team hasn't had amazing passers the last 2 years.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Duck07 wrote:9 out of 10 times the "lying" that Coaches do in recruiting is about a players possible role in their position.

I agree with this. Coaches paint a "best case" scenario for players and their families from their first day on campus through their induction into the NFL Hall of Fame (well maybe just to being on TV as a first round draft choice). At the time Pitman was recruited I am sure the Oregon coaches envisioned they'd always have a balanced attack with 4 and 5 star quarterbacks throwing the ball around like Herbert. They found themselves in a situation where they could win a ship load of games and contend for the playoffs with a QB that struggles throwing more than 10 yards downfield outside the hashes.

You can't blame the Coaches for optimizing the game plan around the QB you have when your winning.

On the other hand there are Wideouts running around wide open on multiple plays every game who aren't being thrown to. If you are a wide receiver hoping to make the NFL and no matter how great your hands are or how sharp you run your routes you don't get a chance, you and your parents (always the parents) are going to be frustrated. It would be a shame if he bailed out too early though and next year Oregon had an average or better passer. It would be a bigger loss if he transferred out and got Maddie Scherr to transfer with him.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Here’s a link to what his dad said: https://twitter.com/ducksVSall/status/1 ... 69856?s=20

Anyway, I’ve been really frustrated with having this WR group and then not getting the ball into their hands unless it’s 3rd and 10 and they catch a 2 yard pass.

As for Pittman, it would be generous to say that he’s one of the top-4 WRs on this team. Devon Williams, JJ3, Redd, and Franklin are all better. Travis Dye would be a better WR. If anything, Redd should be disappointed at how he’s being underutilized. Don’t get me wrong, Pittman is a talented guy and he could be a better version of JJ3, but even that is debatable.

I’m also pretty sure the reason he’s returning punts is to give him some opportunities, because there’s no way he’s the best punt returner unless the goal is to fair catch very well. Michael Fletcher probably can’t even watch Pittman without getting sick to his stomach at his softness.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Sounding like he is gone.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

buckmarkduck wrote:Sounding like he is gone.
Certainly does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

I like Pittman a lot, but just finish the year.
Bummer.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Seems strange to leave with so few games left in the season.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

Hate to see him leave but if he is not all in then it's best he gets out of the locker room. I like him a lot but I sometimes wonder if he did not work as hard as he should have. Heard something in passing once that he at times came across as 'entitled'. Played the 'Dad was in the NFL and big brother is in the NFL' card alot according to some people. True on not, can't say.
mrpd21
Five Star Recruit

Post by mrpd21 »

Lack of plays and attention aside...
Now that players are taking on sponsorships, I wonder if there's increased pressure on them from that end? If they aren't performing or getting opportunities, do companies start coming down on them based on any contractual agreements? I haven't studied any of the legal terms with the agreements the kids are signing, but I do wonder if this is an added element not previously experienced in CFB before.
Last edited by mrpd21 on Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I think he's in the spot where he's not talented enough to get an NFL look without big-time college stats, because he's not going to test especially well (not big, not fast), so he needs to stand out on the field. So I totally get why he's feeling urgency to a degree. But what I don't get is why now? Why go when there's less than a month left in fall term, and two games left in the season? I don't see how that helps rather than hurts.

With Redd, JJ3, and Pittman moving on, our starting 3 will be... Hutson, Franklin, D. Williams? That's a great group. I think there's an outside chance Williams tries his hand at the NFL, in which case one of Thornton/Crocker/Brevard probably gets the last spot.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

StevensTechU wrote:I think he's in the spot where he's not talented enough to get an NFL look without big-time college stats, because he's not going to test especially well (not big, not fast), so he needs to stand out on the field. So I totally get why he's feeling urgency to a degree. But what I don't get is why now? Why go when there's less than a month left in fall term, and two games left in the season? I don't see how that helps rather than hurts.

With Redd, JJ3, and Pittman moving on, our starting 3 will be... Hutson, Franklin, D. Williams? That's a great group. I think there's an outside chance Williams tries his hand at the NFL, in which case one of Thornton/Crocker/Brevard probably gets the last spot.
I mirror those thoughts.

I’ve been saying since last season that there’s a chance Devon Williams tests the NFL waters. Four years removed from high school, 6’4” and the athletic profile that made him a top-40 recruit. He’s as talented a WR as you could ask for, Justin Herbert would have killed it with him.

The timing by Pittman is dumb. JJ3 is injured, so maybe that’s playing into it. But your team is ranked #3 and fighting for a playoff spot, with the exposure that entails, and Pittman is complaining now? Dude, you’ve been injured half the time you’ve been here, you’re five inches shorter than your brother and several tenths of a second slower - worry about finishing your season first.

Seeing Troy Franklin blocking, while weighing 160 pounds or whatever. I gotta say - that guy will make an average WR who has a talented daddy and brother look bad by comparison. https://twitter.com/YogiRoth/status/146 ... 42564?s=20 I’d prefer to keep Pittman, but if he’s a distraction to the team and is going to portal anyway then bench his ass and give his snaps to Franklin, Thornton, or whoever else.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

The worst thing to happen to Pittman this season was JJIII and Redd both returned for their extra year and they brought in a talented group of FR WRs.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Pittman Twitter

Post by chapelhillduck »

It’s a punk move to leave this deep into the year….I’m all for once a duck always a duck, but he’s quitting on the team

That, or he broke up with Scherr and pulled a Kingsley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

It appears Pittman has closed his Oregon career...
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Devon Williams comes here and Pittman might be going to USC - seems like we got the better end of that deal. With receiver recruits decommitting presumably for lack of room and touches, Pittman is probably doing us a favor.