#4 Oregon @ #24 Utah (Nov. 20, Sat 4:30 PM ABC)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: #4 Oregon @ #24 Utah (Nov. 20, Sat 4:30 PM ABC)

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I find the Brown hatred very interesting. Obviously a lot of the criticism is warranted, love him or hate him, he’s extremely limited, but I do agree he is a scapegoat by fans, not for other players/position, but for the head coach.

The QB play has been an issue since Mario has been coach. First we had Herbert, obviously a huge upgrade over what we’ve had since he’s graduated, but let’s not pretend like we were never frustrated with him. There were phases during games when Herbert made mind-puzzling bad plays, where’d he miss an open WR in his progressions and throw right to a defender. Under Herbert the offense would stall for a long time and it felt like 3rd and long was insurmountable. Then comes Shough, we were excited to see what he could do, highly regarded recruit, had time to develop, and he looked like a true freshman new to the QB position and we quickly missed Herbert more than we thought we would. Then the coaches decided to invest into one year for Brown and what do we have? Extremely limited and poor QB play. At what point do fans stop hating Brown and blame Mario? I know Brown is limited but was he this bad at Boston College? It seems like whatever Mario has done with the offense since being named head coach hasn’t done the QB’s any favor. I think we have to realize that it’s not all Brown, that Mario deserves more blame.

Next year will be the most important year of Mario’s tenure. If his recruits improve, like Sewell and Franklin, and the team comes out inspired each week and the offense is a cohesive unit that’s reliable, then the future looks bright, especially if they beat Georgia (at the very least they need to compete). But if they continue to come out uninspired and the offense is broken, messy, and unable to overcome a false start, and if they get blown out by Georgia, then the future may look like a bunch of 8-4 seasons. I believe next year will tell us how the future of Oregon football under Mario can and will be.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

StevensTechU wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:This team obviously has other flaws that get exposed at times but the consistent, glaring issue is our starting QB can’t pass the ball. It’s great that he has other qualities but at the most important position we’re starting a player who can’t really do the main thing his position is on the field for, so don’t act like fans are football Neanderthals for harping on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well if it's unusually hairy and paints on cave walls....
Ha! You have a point… I guess it’s good we have some homo sapiens around to break down film for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I find the Brown hatred very interesting. Obviously a lot of the criticism is warranted, love him or hate him, he’s extremely limited, but I do agree he is a scapegoat by fans, not for other players/position, but for the head coach.

The QB play has been an issue since Mario has been coach. First we had Herbert, obviously a huge upgrade over what we’ve had since he’s graduated, but let’s not pretend like we were never frustrated with him. There were phases during games when Herbert made mind-puzzling bad plays, where’d he miss an open WR in his progressions and throw right to a defender. Under Herbert the offense would stall for a long time and it felt like 3rd and long was insurmountable. Then comes Shough, we were excited to see what he could do, highly regarded recruit, had time to develop, and he looked like a true freshman new to the QB position and we quickly missed Herbert more than we thought we would. Then the coaches decided to invest into one year for Brown and what do we have? Extremely limited and poor QB play. At what point do fans stop hating Brown and blame Mario? I know Brown is limited but was he this bad at Boston College? It seems like whatever Mario has done with the offense since being named head coach hasn’t done the QB’s any favor. I think we have to realize that it’s not all Brown, that Mario deserves more blame.

Next year will be the most important year of Mario’s tenure. If his recruits improve, like Sewell and Franklin, and the team comes out inspired each week and the offense is a cohesive unit that’s reliable, then the future looks bright, especially if they beat Georgia (at the very least they need to compete). But if they continue to come out uninspired and the offense is broken, messy, and unable to overcome a false start, and if they get blown out by Georgia, then the future may look like a bunch of 8-4 seasons. I believe next year will tell us how the future of Oregon football under Mario can and will be.
Brown was this person back at BC, which is what I kept saying last year when everyone was calling for him over Shough. As usual, the backup was the most popular guy on the team, and nobody wanted to believe it. He had a 55% career completion percentage, which isn't good by NCAA standards, and they were run heavy, just like this offense. Seems like a good guy, but he certainly limits the offense. I understand Thompson not being ready, because unlike everyone believes, guys just don't always appear on campus ready to play at a high level, but I'm curious about Butterfield. I realize Butterfield may not be the prototypical guy for this offense, but I feel that they should be able to adapt the offense to fit his strengths. Granted, all I've seen of the guy is in the Spring Game, so I'm sure the coaches see something I don't.