Coaching Carousel

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: Coaching Carousel

Post by buckmarkduck »

Duck07 wrote:
partytime1667 wrote:Per Feldman, Chip is a “wildcard” candidate for the UW job. I’d be ok with that, it would tank their already abysmal recruiting and they don’t have the personnel for his offense.
Oh man I think that'd be great. Chip would be doing us another solid in the rivalry and they'd only realize it once it's too late, hahaha.

Chip can’t recruit at UCLA, he would have an even harder time recruiting to UW.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Yeah, I think I made it clear that I prefer MC and that Chip isn't a good recruiter, thus not a good long-term fit for the program.

What I'm saying though is that Chip is still a masterful game planner and it's no secret that MC sometimes lacks in that department. I see MC making playoff runs over the next couple seasons, and I think Chip is someone who could do the same if given this roster -- and perhaps with a higher probability of winning playoff games.

We already saw how explosive Chip's offenses could be when given an above-average roster. Yes, other teams "caught on" to blur offenses, but really what happened is offenses tend to score more points nowadays and defenses are at more of a permanent disadvantage. There's really no way to "solve" an offense that runs lightning-fast plays once you've been caught with your pants down unless you have timeouts to burn.

Anyway, none of this is the same as saying I want Chip back and that he'd be a great long-term fit. He might be a way to capture lightning in a bottle for two or three years, but not much more beyond that.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

pezsez1 wrote:Yeah, I think I made it clear that I prefer MC and that Chip isn't a good recruiter, thus not a good long-term fit for the program.

What I'm saying though is that Chip is still a masterful game planner and it's no secret that MC sometimes lacks in that department. I see MC making playoff runs over the next couple seasons, and I think Chip is someone who could do the same if given this roster -- and perhaps with a higher probability of winning playoff games.

We already saw how explosive Chip's offenses could be when given an above-average roster. Yes, other teams "caught on" to blur offenses, but really what happened is offenses tend to score more points nowadays and defenses are at more of a permanent disadvantage. There's really no way to "solve" an offense that runs lightning-fast plays once you've been caught with your pants down unless you have timeouts to burn.

Anyway, none of this is the same as saying I want Chip back and that he'd be a great long-term fit. He might be a way to capture lightning in a bottle for two or three years, but not much more beyond that.
I get what you are saying and you never say never. I just don't think it's worth all the drama. Chip is known to be hard to work with and I don't see him fitting in with the current staff real well. Just my two cents based on no inside info. If Moorhead were to move on I could see Mario going after a young guy. Let's be fair too, Mario has a pretty decent track record when it comes to hiring.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Let's be fair too, Mario has a pretty decent track record when it comes to hiring.
Yes he does. Will be a sad day when MC leaves.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

partytime1667 wrote:Per Feldman, Chip is a “wildcard” candidate for the UW job. I’d be ok with that, it would tank their already abysmal recruiting and they don’t have the personnel for his offense.
I say this every year - Feldman is the least plugged in person in the known universe when it comes to coaching vacancies. Like the rest of us, he will hear about it after the ink is dry, not before.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Fuente out at VaTech, with Moorhead mentioned as a possibility.

Wazzu has been linked to Moorhead.

Miami fires athletic director Blake James, meaning the hot seat for Diaz is now the surface of the Sun levels of hot.

Even Miami homers realize it would be a step down for Cristobal, and even if they had the money I don’t think Cristobal is dumb enough to leave for that.

Dan Mullen, Oregon’s first choice to replace Helf in 2016, is on the hot seat as well. He would be my first choice to replace Mario if that was needed. I realize it’s a minority opinion.

Texas got the same thing in Sark that the Miami Dolphins got in Tua.

Justin Wilcox the obvious candidate at UW that the fans don’t want, and hopefully we don’t touch him with a ten foot pole if we need a head coach.

Fresno’s Kalen DeBoer is a hot name at several places, including both Washington schools. Jay Norvell at Nevada another not name. Billy Napier is the former Saban assistant with the most buzz since being good at UL Lafayette.

Obviously Luke Fickell at Cincy is a hot name. Dave Clawson at Wake. Dave Aranda at Baylor reportedly a leading contender for USC. Former Baylor and supposed Oregon target Matt Rhule may want to head back to college, and if James Franklin leaves Penn State then he and Moorhead would be candidates there. Tom Herman is a name that exists.

UW fans slobbering over Bob Stoops is pretty funny. He retired to take over a dumpster fire.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Saw an article today that says there is some smoke around the possibility of Lincoln Riley taking the LSU job.... That would be pretty shocking.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

karlhungis wrote:Saw an article today that says there is some smoke around the possibility of Lincoln Riley taking the LSU job.... That would be pretty shocking.
I’d be surprised as well. Once Oklahoma moves to the SEC they’ll have more money but it will be a more difficult place to win.

LSU is a great job, I’m torn on which is better between them and Oklahoma. Lots of great candidates for them.

They wanted Jimbo but he basically had a lifetime $10 mil/year deal and a historically epic recruiting class on deck.

Billy Napier has been great at UL Lafayette (which has attempted to rebrand as Louisiana and I refuse to acknowledge that) going 7-7 his first year but since then 11-3, 10-1, and 9-1 currently. His only losses the last three years have been to Mississippi State, Appalachian State, Coastal Carolina, and Texas. 30-4 is impressive for a three year stretch.

Dave Aranda is having a nice second season at Baylor after being LSU’s DC, and is a guy that has proven himself everywhere he’s been. The LA newspapers want him for USC, as he’s from California.
snapt
Four Star Recruit

Post by snapt »

Phalanx wrote:I have no idea why anyone would hire Moorhead based on his performance the last two years. The offense has been terrible, there is no evidence of QB development, and his recruiting is nearly non-existent. I would only assume he was being sought for something he did before he got to Oregon.
9-1, should be 10-0 with a Qb who can't throw more than 10 yards down field. JM is doing something right.
BOOF it!
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

snapt wrote:
Phalanx wrote:I have no idea why anyone would hire Moorhead based on his performance the last two years. The offense has been terrible, there is no evidence of QB development, and his recruiting is nearly non-existent. I would only assume he was being sought for something he did before he got to Oregon.
9-1, should be 10-0 with a Qb who can't throw more than 10 yards down field. JM is doing something right.
Honestly, I think it's our defense. They've bailed us out in multiple games. Fresno, Cal, Washington, and Wazzu could all be easily loses if our defense wasn't solid those games. And frankly our offense was terrible against Stanford, so that one is on our offense.

OSU and USC have more yards per game than us, so do 34 teams nationally.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

snapt wrote:
10-0 if Moorhead didn’t have a heart attack game day (speculating, but that’s what it feels like)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

There's a report out there that Michigan State is willing to extend Mel Tucker at 10 years, $95M. Collegiate model what?

Aranda and Campbell continue to be the hot names. The only way I'd want Campbell in the Pac-12 is if he was coaching the Ducks.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I have a hard time seeing Cristobal leaving Oregon. I think everyone expected Chip to bolt because he never really fit with the Pacific Northwest. He was clearly an East Coast guy, he didn't care about making friends with folks in the AD, and he wasn't even great at selling the region to recruits. His interactions with Willie Lyles were reckless and put the university at risk. I loved Chip, and he's still our GOAT, but once he caught fire it just never felt like he'd stick around.

Cristobal is different, though. Miami is definitely a dream job for him, but by all accounts he genuinely loves what he's got going on here. He's also just now entering what could be a string of playoff appearances and possible national title attempts. All of that, and he also just seems like an outstanding cultural fit. He also gets an 83-year-old Phil Knight who is starving for a national title.

I feel like the Miami job will ultimately be there whenever he's ready to take it. Oregon may not be his dream destination, but it's got to check all the boxes for his dream situation. Cristobal seems like a grounded-enough human to understand what that means.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Chip wanted to prove he was the best at the highest level.

Mario loves the college game and recruiting. They just have two very different mindsets. We probably will hear his name surface just to get a raise, and we very likely give it to him. Frankly, it's also pretty well deserved at this point.