Coaching Carousel

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Re: Coaching Carousel

Post by pdxduck2013 »

buckmarkduck wrote:Really hoping OU takes DeBoer and leaves UW holding a crap sandwich
If I were betting, I would put my money on Mark Stoops, Mike Leach, or Lane Kiffin.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

pdxduck2013 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:Really hoping OU takes DeBoer and leaves UW holding a crap sandwich
If I were betting, I would put my money on Mark Stoops, Mike Leach, or Lane Kiffin.

Kiffin has been lobbying for Miami already. Why in the world would he decide to not go to a state he loves for Oklahoma?
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

buckmarkduck wrote:
pdxduck2013 wrote:

Kiffin has been lobbying for Miami already. Why in the world would he decide to not go to a state he loves for Oklahoma?
They haven't fired Manny Diaz yet...
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
Duck07 wrote:Riley and Deboer would be good for the P12 which would make things easier for us when we inevitably drop a game during the season.

The problem that most of us see in these moves is that each school has a QB for each of those HC's to work with. Mario HAS to get a QB Coach who can actually develop guys.
Nate Costa is on staff as an analyst and I know he’s wanting an actual staff position, I wonder how he’d do as the QB coach.

I wish we could just hire an established QB coach instead of hoping that one of our old backup QB's is good at it.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

I really do not like this move. Lincoln Railey is just as a relentless recruiter as Mario and it seems he's a much better X and O s coach and QB developer.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

List of names to replace Riley:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... oln-riley/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

alxtw wrote:I really do not like this move. Lincoln Railey is just as a relentless recruiter as Mario and it seems he's a much better X and O s coach and QB developer.
Yeah, he developed the pre-season favorite for the Heisman, to the bench. That is not development.
UofO8
Senior

Post by UofO8 »

Everythingsducky wrote:
alxtw wrote:I really do not like this move. Lincoln Railey is just as a relentless recruiter as Mario and it seems he's a much better X and O s coach and QB developer.
Yeah, he developed the pre-season favorite for the Heisman, to the bench. That is not development.
....after having two QB's win the Heisman, both of which were transfers and seemed like a lost cause. this a ridiculous argument.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

UofO8 wrote:
Everythingsducky wrote:
....after having two QB's win the Heisman, both of which were transfers and seemed like a lost cause. this a ridiculous argument.

Who seemed like a lost cause? This seems like revisionist history. Mayfield was solid as a Fr at TT. Threw for 2200 yards in 8 games, but always wanted to play at OU.

And Murray had all the talent, to bad for T A&M they had a terrible HC. He would have done great anywhere, with a coach who just trusted him.
UofO8
Senior

Post by UofO8 »

buckmarkduck wrote:
UofO8 wrote:
Everythingsducky wrote:

Who seemed like a lost cause? This seems like revisionist history. Mayfield was solid as a Fr at TT. Threw for 2200 yards in 8 games, but always wanted to play at OU.

And Murray had all the talent, to bad for T A&M they had a terrible HC. He would have done great anywhere, with a coach who just trusted him.
Maybe a lost cause is harsh but Mayfield just looked okay at Tech and Murray hit and miss while at A&M. And no one knew quite how s*** Sumlin was at this point since he was still riding the Manziel coattails. Point is, neither QB looked even remotely close to what they ended up being at QB while under Riley so its silly to disregard that because he benched someone. Someone who shouldn't have even been the pre-season Heisman in the first place.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Everythingsducky wrote:
While he brought in a new replacement QB to become one of the best true freshmen QBs in the nation. That's development.
In addition, Rattler was very hyped by the media before the start of the season and pre-season heismen poll, which is as accurate as pre-season team rankings...
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Lincoln Riley is a great hire for USC, which is good for the conference and bad for us. He’s not a guaranteed home run though. Great recruiter, but at a perennial title contending blue blood that Bob Stoops helped revitalize. That makes him, much like Ryan Day, better Helfirches and Cokers until proven otherwise. Unfortunately he’s stepping into another blue blood in better recruiting territory.

The difference of course is that Riley is a play caller with a system and a tireless recruiter, plus he has a brand name. That brand is QBs and potent offenses, which we know is a great tool to get everyone in the organization excited. USC’s string of ineptitude at the coaching spot is unbelievable. With their resources they don’t need a genius, just someone good.

DeBoer I’m not sold on. 9 wins at Fresno with Tedford’s players. DeRuyter went 9-3 and 11-1 in two regular seasons after taking over a 4-8 program. Those losses were to Oregon, a Petersen coached Boise, a one point loss at Tulsa, and a 62-52 shootout with San Jose State. Meanwhile, DeBoer is 3-3 and 9-3. I could care less what he did at NAIA.

Losing Helton and Lake are tragedies but a guy afraid of the SEC and another one that is more used to playing Bismarck Community College aren’t the worst that could happen.

I hope Mario’s mom is okay and can’t fault him in the least bit for visiting her. It will obviously lead to speculation about the U, but if he were to leave I don’t think Mario would be this underhanded. I certainly want to keep him, but coaching is mercenary.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

GoDucksTroll wrote:
DeBoer I’m not sold on. 9 wins at Fresno with Tedford’s players. DeRuyter went 9-3 and 11-1 in two regular seasons after taking over a 4-8 program.
A similar argument could be made for Riley (and Chip) who had great success with many of Bob Stoops' (and Mike Belotti's) recruits.

He'll still have a huge advantage for quick success due to all of the existing talent on the roster at USC, but at least he won't be stepping into a program that's already winning a lot of games.
John 3:36
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

UofO8 wrote: Maybe a lost cause is harsh but Mayfield just looked okay at Tech and Murray hit and miss while at A&M. And no one knew quite how s*** Sumlin was at this point since he was still riding the Manziel coattails. Point is, neither QB looked even remotely close to what they ended up being at QB while under Riley so its silly to disregard that because he benched someone. Someone who shouldn't have even been the pre-season Heisman in the first place.
Did you watch Mayfield at Texas Tech? He was a walk-on true freshman who won the starting job. For a true freshman, he kicked major ass. What he did at Oklahoma was just a continuation of that trajectory.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Where we are right now:

Florida: Billy Napier (Louisiana)

USC: Lincoln Riley (Oklahoma)

Oklahoma: ?

washington: ?

LSU: ?

TCU: Sonny Dykes (SMU)

SMU: Rhett Lashlee (Miami OC)