Making a trip to Eugene!

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

CycloneFan92
High School Drop Out

Making a trip to Eugene!

Post by CycloneFan92 »

Hi All - my wife and I are visiting family in Bend for Thanksgiving and are planning on driving over to Eugene for the Oregon vs. Oregon State game. We are from Iowa and huge Iowa State fans, but college football fans in general. We have never been to Eugene, Autzen Stadium or a Pac-12 game. I've heard great things about the stadium and I'm VERY excited to see what it's all about. We have purchased some Ducks gear and are ready to watch you guys crush the beavs.

Outside of the last few years, being an Iowa State fan meant miserable football, but a heckuva time tailgating. We are hoping to arrive a few hours early and get some tailgating in. Where is the best place to do this? Any tips for arrival? I am open to any suggestions to make the most out of our time.

Can't wait for the game! I will be rooting hard for you guys to make the playoffs and win it all. Anytime a team can take down the $EC I'm happy.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Re: Making a trip to Eugene!

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Very cool! Thanks for checking in here

Couple of quick notes:
- Make sure to get vaccination card or test results for the game
- Some of the experience is dampened a bit with the Covid restrictions; our indoor tailgating facility is closed for the year for example

I would suggest parking on campus, somewhere near Matthew Knight Arena and walking across the bridge to get to the stadium. Once at the stadium, most of the tailgating takes place on the East side lots or across the street at the Masonic Lodge lot. I think you'll get more invites wearing Iowa St gear as folks will be both confused but happy to share with an outsider.

Track Town pizza is a staple for a meal before or after the game, especially if you park on campus.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Another note; due to the Covid restrictions etc. we haven't yet sold out a game this year so the experience isn't quite what it normally is.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

That's awesome! Ironically I was in Oklahoma for a wedding 7 years ago, and got tickets to watch them play WVU. It was really fun to experience college football somewhere else.

Hope you enjoy your stay and have a fun experience!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Another note; due to the Covid restrictions etc. we haven't yet sold out a game this year so the experience isn't quite what it normally is.
The WSU game was pretty darn close. Only one small patch of empty seats at the corner of the round stadium.... Really fun environment. I bet the Civil War will be similar.
duckpoint
Three Star Recruit

Post by duckpoint »

I would suggest doing the bridge walk, but extending it to include campus. I would start at the plaque where the Animal House frat house was.
Rewatch Animal House before you come and see how many buildings you recognize.

It's part of the experience that I recommend to first time visitors.
CycloneFan92
High School Drop Out

Post by CycloneFan92 »

Thank you all for the advice! Hoping for some decent weather for the game. Also had no idea Animal House was filmed in Eugene, that's awesome! I will be sure to rewatch before our trip.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

duckpoint wrote:I would suggest doing the bridge walk, but extending it to include campus. I would start at the plaque where the Animal House frat house was.
Rewatch Animal House before you come and see how many buildings you recognize.

It's part of the experience that I recommend to first time visitors.
As someone who lived in the Omega house next door, visiting a small office building is not that exciting, truth be told. The sorority house has been turned into a NCC admin building. Hell last time I walked through the EMU the Fish Bowl didn't even really look like the Fish Bowl anymore. (Food Fight scene). Fortunately a lot of the intro scenes walking around campus still have some of the same look to them, Johnson Hall etc.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Definitely will 2nd the recommendation to walk to Autzen "over the footbridge and through the trees" as its the best way to see the Stadium for the 1st time, especially with other fans making the trek.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I took some non-Ducks down last weekend, and here's what we did

- Breakfast at Glenwood or Studio One
- Walk campus (make sure to swing by the new Hayward Field, it's literally the best track stadium in the world)
- After walking campus, pre-game at Rennie's Landing. It gets very busy, but will definitely get you in the mood for the game.
- An hour or two before the game, walk over the river and to Autzen Stadium as others have said. When you get there, use whatever free time you have to walk around the tailgates, make some friends, tell folks you're there to root for the ducks even if you're not because you might get some beer and food out of it, haha
- If you have too much time to kill, The Cooler is a good spot
- Enjoy the game. Be sure to check out the waterfall area inside the stadium.
- Postgame, downtown bars are a good scene. Eugene has a solid restaurant scene for its size, too.
duckpoint
Three Star Recruit

Post by duckpoint »

StevensTechU wrote:I took some non-Ducks down last weekend, and here's what we did

- Walk campus (make sure to swing by the new Hayward Field, it's literally the best track stadium in the world)
- After walking campus, pre-game at Rennie's Landing. It gets very busy, but will definitely get you in the mood for the game.
- An hour or two before the game, walk over the river and to Autzen Stadium as others have said. When you get there, use whatever free time you have to walk around the tailgates, make some friends, tell folks you're there to root for the ducks even if you're not because you might get some beer and food out of it, haha
- Postgame, downtown bars are a good scene. Eugene has a solid restaurant scene for its size, too.
Did Taylor's ever reopen?
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Nope. And my old frat doesn't exist anymore! Times are a-changin'.
duckpoint
Three Star Recruit

Post by duckpoint »

StevensTechU wrote:Nope. And my old frat doesn't exist anymore! Times are a-changin'.
Whoa!!!!! :shock:

I'm more shocked by Taylor's than I was about Joe Fed's!

Does anyone remember Guido's?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

StevensTechU wrote:I took some non-Ducks down last weekend, and here's what we did

I'd suggest The Glenwood since it'll be closing this spring although Studio One has some great hash browns.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

Years ago my sister and I grabbed a bite at the Duck Boosters site, near the tailgating area. Prices were reasonable, food was great, and folks were friendly. Don't know if they still do it.