Pac 12 schedule makers are costing the Pac 12 a playoff spot

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duck023
Four Star Recruit

Pac 12 schedule makers are costing the Pac 12 a playoff spot

Post by duck023 »

There is no reason why Pac 12 shouldn't play 8 conference games to make having a team go to the playoffs easier. Oregon only had two gimme's this season which were Stony Brook and Colorado. I'd like a few more gimme's on the schedule.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Pac 12 schedule makers are costing the Pac 12 a playoff

Post by OregonFan4Life »

To me this is a weak excuse. Oregon had what should’ve been so many easy games that came down to the last minute. Arizona, Stanford, Cal, Washington, and Colorado are all games that could’ve been over before the 4th quarter if Oregon played to their potential. Oregon had two ranked games all season long. I do think Fresno St was dumb, same with BYU and Hawaii next season, but Oregon has nobody but themselves to blame.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:To me this is a weak excuse. Oregon had what should’ve been so many easy games that came down to the last minute. Arizona, Stanford, Cal, Washington, and Colorado are all games that could’ve been over before the 4th quarter if Oregon played to their potential. Oregon had two ranked games all season long. I do think Fresno St was dumb, same with BYU and Hawaii next season, but Oregon has nobody but themselves to blame.
I feel like this Oregon team was completely worn out by the time they got to Stony Brook. I remember saying I was worried they'd come out flat in that game and Ty Thompson actually save them against Stony Brook. I do think a Florida team that lost to a D2 team would only have 1 loss if they played Oregon's schedule and I don't normally say that because in the 90's running through the Pac 12 was one of the hardest things to do. That is why only jaggernauts like 1996 ASU, 2004/2005 USC and 2010 Oregon were the only legit national championship contenders because even a great team slips up in a Pac 12 schedule.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

duck023 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:To me this is a weak excuse. Oregon had what should’ve been so many easy games that came down to the last minute. Arizona, Stanford, Cal, Washington, and Colorado are all games that could’ve been over before the 4th quarter if Oregon played to their potential. Oregon had two ranked games all season long. I do think Fresno St was dumb, same with BYU and Hawaii next season, but Oregon has nobody but themselves to blame.
I feel like this Oregon team was completely worn out by the time they got to Stony Brook. I remember saying I was worried they'd come out flat in that game and Ty Thompson actually save them against Stony Brook. I do think a Florida team that lost to a D2 team would only have 1 loss if they played Oregon's schedule and I don't normally say that because in the 90's running through the Pac 12 was one of the hardest things to do. That is why only jaggernauts like 1996 ASU, 2004/2005 USC and 2010 Oregon were the only legit national championship contenders because even a great team slips up in a Pac 12 schedule.
I don’t disagree that the scheduling is a disaster (mainly the non-conference scheduling). Conference scheduling is what it is, you don’t know who will be legit and who will fall off. We all thought Cal and Washington would be tough opponents, that wasn’t the case. But the non-conference schedule is a disaster. Fresno St and BYU are just stupid games, and they need to have more awareness of how the football landscape views those teams. I’m under the mindset that Oregon should schedule a big name school every year, an FCS team, and an easy lower level game. If you replace BYU with Portland St next season then I think it’d be a perfect non-conference schedule. But Fresno St and BYU are bad non-conference games. They’re legit tough games but if you win it, nobody cares. If you lose it’s humiliating then people start to make dumb claims like “BYU would win the PAC-12 this year!”.

But in terms of tonight’s showing, that’s not a scheduling issue, it was an Oregon issue.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Lousy coaching and a lousy pac12 in general is costing the Pac12 a playoff spot. Oregon has the talent to compete but obviously shouldn't be on the same field as Georgia and OSU at this point of the season.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

While the blame lies with the teams in the Pac-12 flat out sucking, the OP has a point. Georgia played college football powerhouse Charleston Southern this week and a last week Alabama played New Mexico State. There are basically bye weeks so I do see what he is saying.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

I feel the best scheduling tactic the SEC takes advantage of is slipping in a OOC cupcake in the late second half of the season. In addition to the PAC12, other divisions should also look into this tactic that the SEC has been utilizing all these years. Can't blame the SEC for always trying to get a leg up (8 divisional games, 12 team CFP format, officials helping top teams, etc...) and other divisions for not using their brains.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

When new Commissioner George Kliavakoff came in and got "The Alliance" started, I thought the very first move was to make the annoucement we'd go to 8 conf games and 4 OOC to get an Alliance game in.

That it hasn't happened yet seems telling. Not sure The Alliance will actually become a thing even.