Transfer Portal - '21-22

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Re: Transfer Portal - '21-22

Post by DmoneyDuck »

Duck fans probably still feeling stung by the Dakota Prukop year is my only guess. If a high caliber transfer can come in for a year, you take them. We have 3 QBs right now with Bailey on the way. I don't think you lose all of them just by pushing their start dates back a year.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

StevensTechU wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Sooner or later, Oregon has to trust its own QB recruits to play, otherwise top QB recruits are going to be apprehensive about what they do with the position.
Based on seeing Oklahoma do it 3x, Ohio State and Michigan do it, I have to say this is a false narrative. Also, remember when there was a narrative that Oregon couldn't recruit QBs because they kept getting guys like Mariota who were entrenched as starters so high school recruits wouldn't want to come?

So again, why are we so apprehensive about taking the best talent available when that talent is in the transfer portal?

And QBs don’t stick around long enough to get coached up anymore. Guys like Feeley and Fife would have left after 2 years nowadays. Maybe even KC and Dixon would have hit the portal now, even thought it took them both 3-4 years to hit their stride.
hslack
One Star Recruit

Post by hslack »

StevensTechU wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Sooner or later, Oregon has to trust its own QB recruits to play, otherwise top QB recruits are going to be apprehensive about what they do with the position.
Based on seeing Oklahoma do it 3x, Ohio State and Michigan do it, I have to say this is a false narrative. Also, remember when there was a narrative that Oregon couldn't recruit QBs because they kept getting guys like Mariota who were entrenched as starters so high school recruits wouldn't want to come?

So again, why are we so apprehensive about taking the best talent available when that talent is in the transfer portal?
The only team that won a national championship out of that was OSU with Fields who was a rare prospect, all of the guys available now it feels like we would be settling for as opposed to trusting guys with 1-2 years under their belt
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

StevensTechU wrote:
Its not just the fans, it is the current coaching staff too. Oregon was 1 of only 4 Power Five schools not to take a non-graduate transfer in the last recruiting cycle. When asked about it, Mario said something along the lines of that they didn't think there were any kids in the portal that fit what Oregon was trying to do. Really? Out of 2000+ kids in the portal, we didn't see anyone who could help us?

If I was a coach, I would have the exact opposite approach and would be 100% all in on the transfer portal. Why waste 2 years of your life recruiting some HS kid that may never come, may never contribute, may decommit, or may enter the transfer portal. Hammer the transfer portal for a couple of months each year to get as much proven college talent as possible, then backfill with HS kids as necessary.

It is the same old "I need the kids to be from Oregon or I need the kids to be here for 5 years" thought process. I don't care about any of that. Get the best talent you can a win right now!

Altman is a master at this and his having a ton of success. We should consider doing the same in football.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

northbeachsf wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
Its not just the fans, it is the current coaching staff too. Oregon was 1 of only 4 Power Five schools not to take a non-graduate transfer in the last recruiting cycle. When asked about it, Mario said something along the lines of that they didn't think there were any kids in the portal that fit what Oregon was trying to do. Really? Out of 2000+ kids in the portal, we didn't see anyone who could help us?

If I was a coach, I would have the exact opposite approach and would be 100% all in on the transfer portal. Why waste 2 years of your life recruiting some HS kid that may never come, may never contribute, may decommit, or may enter the transfer portal. Hammer the transfer portal for a couple of months each year to get as much proven college talent as possible, then backfill with HS kids as necessary.

It is the same old "I need the kids to be from Oregon or I need the kids to be here for 5 years" thought process. I don't care about any of that. Get the best talent you can a win right now!

Altman is a master at this and his having a ton of success. We should consider doing the same in football.
We went after players, we didn't get them and this is how Mario spun it. Don't read that much into that comment.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Duck07 wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:

We went after players, we didn't get them and this is how Mario spun it. Don't read that much into that comment.
It is hard not to wonder how Oregon can consistently land Top 10 recruiting classes, but is not able to secure one single talented player from a transfer portal pool of 2,000+ kids. Are we really making that a priority? If so, I would think we would have landed a couple of kids.

It will be interesting to see which coach figures it out first and goes all in on transfers.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

northbeachsf wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:

It is hard not to wonder how Oregon can consistently land Top 10 recruiting classes, but is not able to secure one single talented player from a transfer portal pool of 2,000+ kids. Are we really making that a priority? If so, I would think we would have landed a couple of kids.

It will be interesting to see which coach figures it out first and goes all in on transfers.
Where is the spot for a transfer? We already have a numbers issue fir next year.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I think Mario is fairly motivated by recruiting rankings. If you save spots for transfers, you can't sign a full class of recruits. If you can't sign a full class of recruits, you won't rank super high in recruiting rankings. This is totally conjecture, and I wish I could prove it, but I do feel fairly confident in saying it. I think Mario needs to tweak his mindset on this.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

StevensTechU wrote:I think Mario is fairly motivated by recruiting rankings. If you save spots for transfers, you can't sign a full class of recruits. If you can't sign a full class of recruits, you won't rank super high in recruiting rankings. This is totally conjecture, and I wish I could prove it, but I do feel fairly confident in saying it. I think Mario needs to tweak his mindset on this.

He brought in Brown, and tried like crazy to get To’to last spring. He’s never going to be OSU with transfers, but he has shown a willingness to take them.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

StevensTechU wrote:I think Mario is fairly motivated by recruiting rankings. If you save spots for transfers, you can't sign a full class of recruits. If you can't sign a full class of recruits, you won't rank super high in recruiting rankings. This is totally conjecture, and I wish I could prove it, but I do feel fairly confident in saying it. I think Mario needs to tweak his mindset on this.
If that’s the case then why does Mario always take a few 3 stars really early in the recruiting cycle? Does he think their rankings will climb after they commit to Oregon? Serious question, that always puzzled me.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

buckmarkduck wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:

Where is the spot for a transfer? We already have a numbers issue fir next year.
Exactly my point. Why are we taking 25 HS kids when we know that 1/2 of them are never going to play and/or transfer in the next 2-3 years? Maybe change the mindset and take less HS kids and commit to landing some transfers with proven college talent. The fact that we have a numbers problem right now makes it the perfect time to change the approach. You won't lose to much if you miss.
Last edited by northbeachsf on Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

buckmarkduck wrote:

He brought in Brown, and tried like crazy to get To’to last spring. He’s never going to be OSU with transfers, but he has shown a willingness to take them.
Spot on! I also think Mario looks long and hard and how a transfer might impact team chemistry.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I think the biggest issue for UO this year, is Covid. We should be ok after this year, but we would have to push out a ton of guys this year.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

lmduck wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:

Spot on! I also think Mario looks long and hard and how a transfer might impact team chemistry.
Its a good thing we told Cameron Rising we were not interested, allegedly. He might have ruined the chemistry with our defense because they wouldn't get to see the field very much. 8-)

BTW..I am saying this in a joking way, so don't take offense. That was a huge miss by this staff.
Last edited by northbeachsf on Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

northbeachsf wrote:It is hard not to wonder how Oregon can consistently land Top 10 recruiting classes, but is not able to secure one single talented player from a transfer portal pool of 2,000+ kids. Are we really making that a priority? If so, I would think we would have landed a couple of kids.

In addition to STU's comment, I'd also add that due to the sheer amount of youth in the program, we didn't really have a roster screaming that starting spots were readily available. We're starting a transfer QB from the last cycle so it isn't like he's ignored the portal.