How Long For Mario?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

thatbpguy
Four Star Recruit

How Long For Mario?

Post by thatbpguy »

MC looks and plays the part of the consummate head football coach. In fact, I like him. He tries to build a physical team that can run strong.

But, he hires coaches for their recruiting prowess first and coaching second. Every QB has foundered under him. Our running game in generally unimaginative. We play down to the level of competition more that dominating games we should.

The end result is a incredibly talented, deep team that will never live up to its talent.

He will guide his teams to 2 or 3 loses per year in a very weak conference. Is that acceptable? I mean, we get to go to a bowl game. But we will never again be in a 4-team playoff. So on the one hand it's hard to be unhappy with 8-9 wins and a bowl trip every year. But it's also hard to see a team under perform. As a result, I think he'll get 5 or 6 years before he's let go. Maybe 8. Hell, who knows.

It's really frustrating.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Re: How Long For Mario?

Post by karlhungis »

Pretty myopic take. He recruits like a beast, the team has been top 10 all year, multiple pac 12 championships....etc. The team is very young, has dealt with a lot of injuries and our QB situation is holding us back. To say the team "will never live up to it's talent" is kind of extreme. I think they are exactly at their talent level right now. We aren't good enough to be a playoff team.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Brooks would have lasted 6 games with the new Oregon fans, Bellotti would have been fired after year 2 or 3.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

buckmarkduck wrote:Brooks would have lasted 6 games with the new Oregon fans, Bellotti would have been fired after year 2 or 3.
We would have built a statue for Mario if he got these results back in the Bellotti era.
OregonFan4life -
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

People are so quick to pull the cord these days. Dabo Swinney took until his 8th year at Clemson before he got to his first NCG and his 9th before he won it all. Saban took until his 4th year at LSU and 3rd year at Alabama to win national titles. Jimbo Fisher took 4 years at FSU to win a national title and it's now his 4th year at A&M without being in the CFP.
mrpd21
Five Star Recruit

Post by mrpd21 »

I'd give him 2 more years before trying to play judge and jury myself.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Who would the people that aren't satisfied with Mario want to bring in that would be better?
OregonFan4life -
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

It’s much more likely that someone will hire Mario away. His contract just auto extended by one year after hitting the 9 win threshold.

The only way Mario gets fired is due to a scandal, bottoming out the program Helf style, or if some retiree that lives in Beaverton decides to do so for some reason.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

[quote="GoDucksTroll"]It’s much more likely that someone will hire Mario away. His contract just auto extended by one year after hitting the 9 win threshold.

Yep. Far more concerned about Florida, or possibly Miami calling him to come home. Florida can certainly afford the buyout. Not sure about Miami.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

In the last week MSU and PSU have signed coaches with arguably worse resumes than MC, one for 10 hrs 90mill and the other 10 years 85 mill. Who is UO getting if we lose or fire MC?
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

He doesn't need to be on the hot seat. He just needs to play a QB who can throw.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Mario's seat will get warm if he loses to the Beavs in consecutive years.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

buckmarkduck wrote:In the last week MSU and PSU have signed coaches with arguably worse resumes than MC, one for 10 hrs 90mill and the other 10 years 85 mill. Who is UO getting if we lose or fire MC?
Exactly. Don't pull a Texas where you fire a known for an unknown and are now stuck with a 6 or 7 game losing streak and a gigantic buyout.
mrpd21
Five Star Recruit

Post by mrpd21 »

ducks5ever wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:In the last week MSU and PSU have signed coaches with arguably worse resumes than MC, one for 10 hrs 90mill and the other 10 years 85 mill. Who is UO getting if we lose or fire MC?
Exactly. Don't pull a Texas where you fire a known for an unknown and are now stuck with a 6 or 7 game losing streak and a gigantic buyout.

Yeah...I'm not ready to "row the boat"
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

pezsez1 wrote:He doesn't need to be on the hot seat. He just needs to play a QB who can throw.
It really is this simple.