Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: How Long For Mario?

Post by UOducksTK1 »

rockthief wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:He doesn't need to be on the hot seat. He just needs to play a QB who can throw.
It really is this simple.
But hasn't he been recruiting for 4 years?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
rockthief wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:He doesn't need to be on the hot seat. He just needs to play a QB who can throw.
It really is this simple.
But hasn't he been recruiting for 4 years?
Playing them would help over time but he thinks otherwise
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Its still way too early. We are recruiting at the best star rating in our history, however, however we're still nowhere close to the recruiting rating of a Championship team. I'm more worried about player development, recruit evaluation, and team culture, which were the downfall of one of the top recruiting and storied programs, USC.

Also, our team is no where close to having the best depth we've had in team history. Great depth on your team means that you have a line of players who can step in and play well on the field. We just have a large number of highly ranked players at each position on our roster at the moment.

I'm on the boat of giving CMC a few more years. He's done quite well in quickly turning around the shi*show that the Snake left behind.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

It does seem to be a yearly trend, the trend is a few being ready to think seriously about a new HC, and the failings of Cristabol even if we have a 9 win season with a young team and have and have had the nations attention.

Cristabol is also a young power five head coach and is still learning and adjusting, to me he has proven he can hire and recruit, but he needs maturing in other areas, such as player development. IMO he has vastly improved in clock management and somewhat in game management (correct play calling for the situation and player’s ability).

Bottom line for me, I am 100% on the Cristabol bandwagon and I would love and hope Oregon locks him in with a salary that is in the top 5% nationally. I believe he will bring us a national title or two.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Can’t fire Mario yet, that would be silly. But he doesn’t seem to realize in today’s football a team goes as far as their passing game goes. It’s also weird when they get a bunch of WR’s without getting a QB who can throw to them.

Now let’s say in a hypothetical world Mario is gone after this season, who does Oregon have a realistic chance at getting? I’d say go for Dontae Williams, I feel like Mario for Williams would be a wash, maybe a slight downgrade. Both seem like great recruiters who struggle with player development, especially at the most important position.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

MC frustrates me pretty often, and has obvious hang ups, but he also has some real tremendous qualities that I love in a HC. As long as we’re competitive and winning I think it’s ludicrous to think about firing him. The Chip-era Duck fans have to separate those years from the rest of Oregon football and realize those weren’t the mean, those were the absolute peak. The stars aligned for our program in so many ways, and holding current coaches and players to that standard isn’t fair.

Competing for the conference title and Rose Bowls most years puts us in a fairly elite category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:MC frustrates me pretty often, and has obvious hang ups, but he also has some real tremendous qualities that I love in a HC. As long as we’re competitive and winning I think it’s ludicrous to think about firing him. The Chip-era Duck fans have to separate those years from the rest of Oregon football and realize those weren’t the mean, those were the absolute peak. The stars aligned for our program in so many ways, and holding current coaches and players to that standard isn’t fair.

Competing for the conference title and Rose Bowls most years puts us in a fairly elite category.

Plus we could have had Willie for a few years and still be dealing with that mess. #Pay Cristobal!
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:MC frustrates me pretty often, and has obvious hang ups, but he also has some real tremendous qualities that I love in a HC. As long as we’re competitive and winning I think it’s ludicrous to think about firing him. The Chip-era Duck fans have to separate those years from the rest of Oregon football and realize those weren’t the mean, those were the absolute peak. The stars aligned for our program in so many ways, and holding current coaches and players to that standard isn’t fair.

Apparently conference titles and Rose Bowls are not enough for some here. Doom and gloom seem to be the modus operandi. Maybe listening to this will give some perspective:

https://twitter.com/kimlegg23/status/14 ... 97092?s=21

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

lmduck wrote:

Apparently conference titles and Rose Bowls are not enough for some here. Doom and gloom seem to be the modus operandi. Maybe listening to this will give some perspective:

Yeah sure, when our team has Alabama's recent history I'll listen to that rant and think it applies here.

The P12 is such a garbage conference some feel it isn't better than some G5 conferences right now and rightfully so. Winning the P12 with multiple losses to P12 teams is not the mark of an elite program; its the mark of a good team in a garbage conference which is an honest assessment of our team and league.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

Duck07 wrote:
lmduck wrote:

Yeah sure, when our team has Alabama's recent history I'll listen to that rant and think it applies here.

The P12 is such a garbage conference some feel it isn't better than some G5 conferences right now and rightfully so. Winning the P12 with multiple losses to P12 teams is not the mark of an elite program; its the mark of a good team in a garbage conference which is an honest assessment of our team and league.
You’re free to not watch games or follow the team.

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

lmduck wrote:You’re free to not watch games or follow the team.
It's a relevant point that's germane to this thread. Your comment doesn't foster discussion and its getting old when people revert to this stuff as a response.

The P12 is garbage (both right now and in the last several years) and we've got to win 2 games against teams that both beat us the last time we played just to win the league. Failing to win those games would start to put Mario under the microscope more and for what should be obvious reasons.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

lmduck wrote:

Fantastic Twitter post! That drives it home! When Helf left we had hope Willie would start winning, we got stabbed in the back by a snake. Enter Cristabol, to use Saban’s words, we were happy to have a win. Flash forward a few years, reining Rose Bowl champion and PAC 12 champions and some of the “self absorbed” fan base can’t see pass that…… his words not mine…..

It is worth a listen if you haven’t. We are on our way to being a Alabama and Ohio St with Mario….. pay him!
OrTDuck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OrTDuck »

I'd suggest if MC wants to win THIS way, recruiting is going to need to improve.

While overall "blue chip" ratio of four/five star kids is approaching a very good 60%, it's still lagging behind those top programs like Alabama, tOSU, Clemson, and Georgia in top 50-60 kids.

Oregon's current group of top 60 kids (with Suamataia departing) is: KT, Wright, Sewell, Flowe, Manning, Franklin, and TT.

That's 3 of its best players plus Flowe (who probably would be there if not for injury), plus Manning and Franklin who look like just about locks to be big pieces the next 2-3 years and TT (who just about everyone has pencilled in as a 3 year starter). That's pretty good impact.

When I looked, most of the TOP programs are getting 2 to 3 times as many top 50-60 kids in their roster composition. Imagine the current Duck roster with 18 KTs, Sewell's, and Franklin's, rather than 7.

And it seems like the Ducks may be trending the wrong way, if Banks leaves, there won't be a top 100 guy in the current commits.

It is sort of odd, how often we hear referenced comments that MC has proven "it's very hard to recruit to Oregon" wrong. Yet the single most often reason I read people supporting MC is recruiting. It almost as if the opinion is ONLY MC can recruit to Oregon. I am pretty sure others will be able to as well, if it is something they put effort into.

As others have eloquently put, there are lots of examples of programs with strong recruiting but less talent evaluation, talent development, culture, and coaching that have been spinning their wheels.

Hard to speak to "culture", it seems ok, but if MC can't refine talent evaluation and find some more player development and yes up the coaching, recruiting better get quite a bit better.

Or else Oregon is gonna be spinning it's wheels in a conference I don't think has been much weaker in any time I can remember. There is a lot of "well people are spoiled and remember the old days", I get that but Oregon football has poured a lot of resources in building things up for what, getting near 30 years now? And opportunity is there with USC and UW needing new staffs and Stanford/Shaw seemingly stuck. Shoot, WSU, without a coach, has a decent shot at getting a chance to play for the championship of this conference this year.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Anyone ever look at past “great” west coast coaches records? Don James wasn’t as good as MC his first 4 years. For all the crowing over how great they think they used to be, most years he lost 4 games. And the pac 8/10 was far worse than it is now. The gap between the haves and have nots was huge. UO/OSU and WSU all had half the budget UW had.

IMHO, we keep Mc and we always are a top 3 team in the conference
OrTDuck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OrTDuck »

It's an interesting question.

I'd say P5 coaching, especially near or at the top has just changed. With the increased salaries and stakes (dollars), I think the days of programs patiently waiting years for results are going to be less and less common. Maybe at places like Kansas or Indiana, but not LSU, Texas, Michigan State, and the likes.

Pete Carroll went 11-2 and won an Orange Bowl in year two, David Shaw went 11-2 and made the Fiesta Bowl in year one, Chip Kelly went 10-3 and to a Rose Bowl his first year, Chris Petersen went 12-2 and made the CF Playoff in his 3rd year, Jeff Tedford even went 10-2 his 3rd year at Cal.

Helfrich made the college football final his 2nd year and then went 13-12 and was gone in 2 seasons. Gene Chizik even WON the thing in a perfect 14-0 season his 2nd year at Auburn, went 11-14 the next two years and was gone.