Pac-12 CG: #10 Oregon v #17 Utah (Dec. 3, Fri 5 PM ABC)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

rockthief
Senior

Re: Pac-12 CG: #10 Oregon v #17 Utah (Dec. 3, Fri 5 PM ABC)

Post by rockthief »

potential recruits have noted this game and I expect no positive notes.

The transfer portal might be full of Oregon players.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Feels strange that a 10-3 season, after most expected an 8-4 or 9-3 season, now feels so bad.
OfaFeather
Two Star Recruit

Post by OfaFeather »

Never have I been more sad to be right, I knew after watching the OSU game this was gonna be the outcome. I don’t know why people expect to see anything different than what this team has been all season. I feel bad for the kids who keep fighting but are hampered by poor coaching and a few key sub-standard players who have soured the whole team performance.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Sorry for the consecutive posts:

First, if Ducks had to lose to anyone today I’m glad it was Utah, they’re a class act and it’s cool to see them win with everything they went through.

Second, tough to see Sewell’s tears. He played a great game and fought hard along with other guys on the defense. I’m proud of how Sewell played tonight.
Sure hope Sewell doesn’t transfer to Utah, but would you blame him?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I'm completely dumbfounded that Tye Thompson didn't get into the game by AT LEAST the fourth quarter.

The game is over by that point. Zero chance of winning, especially with Brown. Nowhere in the multiverse does Brown magically get us back into that game.

So... why not GET SOMETHING OF VALUE from the game by putting in a backup QB? Even the backup backup QB if it had to do with TT's redshirt status? Hell, get someone some reps!
Willie Taggart is a dick.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

greenyellow wrote:Feels strange that a 10-3 season, after most expected an 8-4 or 9-3 season, now feels so bad.
I've been thinking a lot about this too, and I think it stems from the fact that this Oregon team, in particular, doesn't feel like a 10-win, Conference Champion caliber team. I know the old adage is to never apologize for winning, but the eye test has to matter at some point. For the most part, Oregon did not look good even when winning and the three losses some of the worst in recent memory (a 3-win Stanford team, and a combined 76-17 drubbing at the hands of Utah over the span of two weeks).

Honestly, how close was Oregon to a 7-5 season?
- We trailed Cal (?!?) by seven in the 4th quarter at home
- Ohio State had two drives in the 4th to tie it up
- UCLA had a chance on the final drive to win it after Oregon was up 14

While I agree the team and staff should be applauded for finding ways to win in spite of all of injuries, part of me sees the Pac-12 in a down year (again) and Oregon adding wins against sub-par teams (Ohio State aside).

Like most Duck fans, I'm at a loss. I really don't know what to make the season. 10 wins is nice, but a non-New Years Bowl after being in the thick of the CFP race two weeks ago is a bitter pill to swallow.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

The issue 100% is on the coaching staff. Even during our "wins" everyone on this board saw how abysmal the offense was. It was painful to watch Duck football this year. The offense was a total slug and the gameplan made it so difficult to score points. Props to the kids who played hard and managed to win games despite having both arms tied behind their backs because the entire offensive gameplan was to limit any passing plays at all. When you remove half the offensive playbook its tough to win games.

There appears to be ZERO development going on with the players as well. Even during our obvious losses our backups got ZERO playing time, meaning zero development. No offense to AB, he never sold himself as the next Mariota, but:

TT
9891 yards
100 touchdowns
32 ints

Butter
7270 yards
85 tds
21 ints

Either the coaching staff whiffed so bad on these two they are embarrassed to play them OR......
There was ZERO effort to develop either quarterback. Either way, this is unacceptable. If you see the offense isn't going to work (first loss at Utah), then you CHANGE THE OFFENSIVE GAMEPLAN and start a quarterback who can throw the darn football. You DON'T just change nothing, trot out the quaterback who LITERALLY cannot throw the football and just do the exact same thing and hope for better results. That is 100% on the coaching staff. The blame is theirs.

Defense really did play their asses off last night but at some point you have to score points and we were not going to hold the Utes off forever. The results of the coaching staff tells me they really don't care. They do not want to change the gameplan or make adjustments or they are incapable of doing it.

Doubt I will even watch whatever sad bowl game we get invited to because I fully except them to trot AB right back out with the exact same gameplan and I fully expect the same results.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

MC’s refusal to deviate from a obviously poor plan all season is extremely concerning. In a lot of ways his head strong mindset is an attribute but when it becomes the priority, even over winning, it’s now a fatal flaw.

This delusional level of pride and head strong has been the demise of so many leaders throughout history. Thankfully, this isn’t war so no one died yesterday, but if it was, Mario would have been the commander knowingly sending his troops into a slaughter just because he refused to accept that he was wrong.

We don’t need to make wholesale changes; the pieces to be a great program are all there, MC just needs to step away from the offense and let our OCs do their thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keithdeandrelewis
One Star Recruit

Post by Keithdeandrelewis »

I think the Ohio State win trapped the coaching staff. I think they assumed throughout the season that if the team was good enough to beat Ohio State with brown they were good enough to be anybody else they played so they rode with him the whole season. The team team really only has two seniors who played at the end of the year, one being brown, was wrecked by injuries, and could only have one early entrant, so I expect big things next year. hopefully mc stays the coach but if he does leave I think Oregon will be fine if they can get a quality replacement
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Keithdeandrelewis wrote:I think the Ohio State win trapped the coaching staff. I think they assumed throughout the season that if the team was good enough to beat Ohio State with brown they were good enough to be anybody else they played so they rode with him the whole season. The team team really only has two seniors who played at the end of the year, one being brown, was wrecked by injuries, and could only have one early entrant, so I expect big things next year. hopefully mc stays the coach but if he does leave I think Oregon will be fine if they can get a quality replacement

And there lays the trap, “if they can find a quality replacement”. Chip took the Ducks to elite status then moved on, enter Helf….. enter Willie, nuff said. Enter Mario taking over a messed up Duck team, brought back down to a eeeh team in a couple of years. Lots of very disappointing negative talk about Mario on this board last night (I assume it is the view of a lot of the Oregon fan base, not just here). Mario took this team back to elite level in a short period of time and now some want his head. Who next? Whoever it is it will cost big $$$. Will the Ducks become a Nebraska with their savior Scott Frost, Coach O and the turn over seen at LSU? Huskies post national Championship other than Peterson years still struggling to get back. We have the right coach, he has some things to improve on…… just saying be careful what you wish for.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

One of of the sack AB chose to take there three receivers open. Two were on the right and one was deep, standing looking up the field waiting for the ball. There were receivers open on the other bad sack as well. Open as in how can he not see them open. MC's stubborn demeanor has to change. AB had no business being our starter. MC will please have his O coaches do the game. Micromanagement is ruinous. The team struggled in every game including Stonybrook. MC makes more money in a year that many of us will make in a lifetime. I want him to earn it.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Now the game is is over and the alcohol has worn off I have two quick thoughts:

1) My head hurts

2) I actually feel really bad for Brown, it feels like he was set up to fail last night. No adjustments, no support, felt like he was set into a lion’s den with a crowbar and was told he has the tools to succeed.
UofO8
Senior

Post by UofO8 »

The fact that MC ACTUALLY said after the game they didn't even consider a QB change during the game is a testament to how fucking trash this coaching staff is, holy s***. Even at the end of the game when it was looong over, at least put in one of the younger guys to get in-game experience. But nah, lets keep trudging out one of the worst starting QB's I have ever seen just....because.