rockthief
Senior

Moorhead to Akron?

Post by rockthief »

woundedknees
All-American

Re: Moorhead to Akron?

Post by woundedknees »

Assuming JoMoe did bolt for Akron, would somebody like David Yost make sense?

I know he wasn't good enough for Willie the 'T', but "C'mom, man!"
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Would be nice to bring in someone who runs an offense that fits the QBs on our roster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UofO8
Senior

Post by UofO8 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:Would be nice to bring in someone who runs an offense that fits the QBs on our roster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And someone to actually coach the QB's. Dude has been the QB since he's been here and there seems to be a big development issue with our QB's....that or we are getting unlucky and just recruiting QB's that aren't good. Oh, would also be nice to get someone that recruits because I don't think Moorhead likes recruiting all that much.

edit: If Cristobal can work some much and convince Mullen to come here, I take back wanting an OC that can recruit. But he's prob the best OC in the country so i think he gets a pass on that one.
Last edited by UofO8 on Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I know a former head coach who can coach QBs and is schematically very sound....
UofO8
Senior

Post by UofO8 »

StevensTechU wrote:I know a former head coach who can coach QBs and is schematically very sound....
does he by chance come from the swampy lands of florida?
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

UofO8 wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:I know a former head coach who can coach QBs and is schematically very sound....
Coastal Oregon, actually
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

StevensTechU wrote:
UofO8 wrote:
Coastal Oregon, actually
He came to mind when I read the article. This would be interesting.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Two years ago, I said Helf wouldn't work because I don't think he could culturally fit in on a Cristobal staff. Well now we've had Moorhead and DeRuyter, so I don't think I can still make that argument.

It ain't happening though. I was just making a joke.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

I would gladly take a New Hampshire guy as Moorhead’s replacement. Shortened first name, Irish last name, runs a spread offense. Mullen wouldn’t seem likely though.

Taking the Akron job would be an interesting move by Moorhead. That job has been a dead end. He was there 2004-08, and if he wants to be close to home, be rid of Cristobal’s recruiting mantra, and be the top dog then he should do it. But Moorhead is 48 (he’s amazingly younger than Mario although I wouldn’t have believe it, so he has time to wait for a better job.

Early signing day has made it more frequent for coaches to be busy interviewing and accepting jobs when there are still important games to play. Kind of frustrating.
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

Moorhead has been mentioned as a possible candidate for the Oklahoma job. That seems like a long shot, but I bet he gets a better gig than Akron. I could see him going to UW (or Cal if UW takes Wilcox). There are a ton of P5 jobs open, and he's probably one of the top 6-7 candidates being mentioned.

I'd be happy to get Helfrich back as a coordinator. There aren't a lot of guys who have a better track record as a Pac-12 OC. I'd take him for his 2nd half adjustments alone.

Mullen is probably a more realistic replacement. Especially since Moorhead did well in his rehab stint here and looks to be getting another HC job. I'm not sure he's actually a good choice though. It feels odd to say this, but I'd rather have Helf. Mullen could conceivably get another P5 HC offer.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Funny thing about Helfrich and Moorhead - they are only days apart in terms of age. Must be all those vegetables Helf eats, but he looks a lot better.

It's hard to find Helfrich having expressed interest in any college job since he got fired. Maybe he likes the soft commentator life. I can't help but think he would be an improvement over our recent OC's. As a QB recruiter and developer, he is very accomplished, and a smart play designer as well. He would make a great yin to Mario's yang if they could make it work. Helf has worked with strong personalities before and proven to be a good 'company man'. He also probably wouldn't be leaving at the first opportunity - I kinda got the feeling he liked it at Oregon at one time. It also helps that Oregon is paying coordinators and other coaches way more now than when Helf was here.

It will never happen, but it's fun to think about.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Mullen and Warren Ruggiero ( wake OC) are my top choices
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

This has been mentioned here before, we really need a coach, OC, who can develop our young QB’s. They need real game experience and that is not a concept Mario has grasped as of yet……. Up by 30 give the young guy a couple of series. I don’t know if we ever got a chance to see what Yost could do.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I know for a fact Helf will never return to Oregon.