Oregon Ducks Christmas List

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Oregon Ducks Christmas List

Post by StevensTechU »

In the spirit of the holidays, I'm starting a thread to list my and your top 3 Ducks-related 'wants' this holiday season. Please feel free to post yours, but for all of our sakes, keep it to 3 because nobody is reading more than that, I promise.

1. A transfer QB who completes over 60% of his passes. I hope Thompson continues to improve and can be a multi-year starter, but if he is roughly the same in 2022 as what we saw in the spring game and limited action during the season, we're up sh*t creek next year, when we have a very realistic CFP shot. Dillon Gabriel? Anthony Richardson? FCS/G5? (Not Spencer Rattler)

2. Jim Mastro, please go away. Every year, there are 2-4 elite running backs in the west, and every year, Mastro gets exactly zero of them. While we've seen a major reduction in pistol formation (thank you baby Geez), I still think am bothered by how much Mastro has struggled to recruit at a position that Oregon should be inundated with talent.

3. Since Moorhead is still on the staff as I write this, I won't say OC, but instead will say I want Pac-12 relevance again. I want the huskies to suck forever, but I wouldn't hate a ranked vs. ranked Civil War, and perhaps an Arizona school that isn't awful. The more the sport centers on the Bible Belt, the more I stop caring. Make it stop, Santa.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Re: Oregon Ducks Christmas List

Post by droop10 »

StevensTechU wrote:In the spirit of the holidays, I'm starting a thread to list my and your top 3 Ducks-related 'wants' this holiday season. Please feel free to post yours, but for all of our sakes, keep it to 3 because nobody is reading more than that, I promise.

1. A transfer QB who completes over 60% of his passes. I hope Thompson continues to improve and can be a multi-year starter, but if he is roughly the same in 2022 as what we saw in the spring game and limited action during the season, we're up sh*t creek next year, when we have a very realistic CFP shot. Dillon Gabriel? Anthony Richardson? FCS/G5? (Not Spencer Rattler)

2. Jim Mastro, please go away. Every year, there are 2-4 elite running backs in the west, and every year, Mastro gets exactly zero of them. While we've seen a major reduction in pistol formation (thank you baby Geez), I still think am bothered by how much Mastro has struggled to recruit at a position that Oregon should be inundated with talent.

3. Since Moorhead is still on the staff as I write this, I won't say OC, but instead will say I want Pac-12 relevance again. I want the huskies to suck forever, but I wouldn't hate a ranked vs. ranked Civil War, and perhaps an Arizona school that isn't awful. The more the sport centers on the Bible Belt, the more I stop caring. Make it stop, Santa.
I don't understand the Mastro portion. They got McGee and Cardwell last year, which by all accounts seems like a pretty strong recruiting haul at RB. They chose not to recruit any RBs this cycle, so it's not as if he missed. They purposefully didn't try to sign anyone. They've also gotten Dollars (#1/2 rated dual purpose back depending on recruiting site) during his tenure. I guess I just don't see RB as being in as bad of shape as you apparently do. Benson was a bit of a flyer, but he seemed to be pretty high on their board, so they did successfully get the guy that they valued. I will never be a fan of the pistol, so am happy to see very little of that. However, I think he's fine outside of that.
HomeSickDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by HomeSickDuck »

Gabriel got a crystal ball to transfer to Ole Miss.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

StevensTechU wrote:In the spirit of the holidays, I'm starting a thread to list my and your top 3 Ducks-related 'wants' this holiday season. Please feel free to post yours, but for all of our sakes, keep it to 3 because nobody is reading more than that, I promise.

I get the Mastro thing but I think Cardwell is the real deal and I think Dollars is too. We haven't seen enough of Benson yet. Just sayin'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

1: Legit QB Coach. I don’t want to always rely on transfer QB’s while our 4 and 5 star QB’s are transferring. I want to see a coach develop young talented QB’s like with DT, Mariota, and Herbert. I know every once in a while you’ll find a Vernon Adams but I feel like more often you’ll get stuck with a Prukop or Brown. It’s difficult to see a loaded team have poor QB play holding them back.

2: An Oregon team that’s motivated from the start and motivated for the entire 60 minutes. This team plays flat way too much, I want to see a mentally tough and fired up Oregon team that blows out bad opponents and doesn’t get blown out themselves, especially to teams with inferior talent.

3: An elite 5 star recruit. Since USC stole Dontae recruiting has gotten slightly worse. Recruiting is still really good but Oregon doesn’t seem to land those top 5 players like Dontae got with KT, Flowe, and Sewell. Call me greedy but I want a top 5 star athlete this cycle, if there are still any available. May be very unrealistic and greedy but this is my wish list!

Bonus: Better scheduling. No more teams like Fresno St and BYU. Schedule a big game like Ohio State and Georgia, then two really easy warm up games with one of them being a bad FCS team. Next season replace BYU with Portland St or Cal Poly and I think that’s a perfect non conference schedule.
jBeavertonduck
Two Star Recruit

Post by jBeavertonduck »

In the spirit of the holidays, I'd like to add my "wish list".

1) Return of a healthy Justin Flowe. It would be fantastic to see him and Noah in the backfield together.
2) I would love to see a healthy Patrick Herbert contribute.
3) We have some very talented running backs, but it would be great to have a big short yardage back in the red zone.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:1: Legit QB Coach. I don’t want to always rely on transfer QB’s while our 4 and 5 star QB’s are transferring. I want to see a coach develop young talented QB’s like with DT, Mariota, and Herbert. I know every once in a while you’ll find a Vernon Adams but I feel like more often you’ll get stuck with a Prukop or Brown. It’s difficult to see a loaded team have poor QB play holding them back.

2: An Oregon team that’s motivated from the start and motivated for the entire 60 minutes. This team plays flat way too much, I want to see a mentally tough and fired up Oregon team that blows out bad opponents and doesn’t get blown out themselves, especially to teams with inferior talent.

3: An elite 5 star recruit. Since USC stole Dontae recruiting has gotten slightly worse. Recruiting is still really good but Oregon doesn’t seem to land those top 5 players like Dontae got with KT, Flowe, and Sewell. Call me greedy but I want a top 5 star athlete this cycle, if there are still any available. May be very unrealistic and greedy but this is my wish list!

Bonus: Better scheduling. No more teams like Fresno St and BYU. Schedule a big game like Ohio State and Georgia, then two really easy warm up games with one of them being a bad FCS team. Next season replace BYU with Portland St or Cal Poly and I think that’s a perfect non conference schedule.
1) I don't understand the criticisms of Moorhead as a QB coach, when he has a previous track record of doing so at other schools. Who is to say Thompson isn't being developed like the guys mentioned? 2 of those 3 were redshirted and given a year to develop. Herbert was an anomaly, and again given a 4-8 season to make mistakes and learn with 0 pressure. Even so, he was a better true freshman than 99% of guys that come to campus as a true freshman, and was gifted with natural talents that few guys possess. Expecting everyone to develop at that rate is unrealistic. Either way, you'll likely get your wish of Moorhead being gone, though I think everyone is pinning way too much blame on him.

3) Kelvin Banks is already in this year's class? Regarding the Dontae thing, Ty Thompson? (technically Kingsley too. I know he's gone, but they did successfully recruit him) Their recruiting class last year was better than any of the classes with Williams. This year's class still has the potential to be higher ranked than any of the Williams classes, but will be close, if not.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

This is a wish list, right?

1. Chip Kelly to leave UCLA and be our offensive coordinator.

2. Blowout wins over Utah in the CCG and tOSU in the Rose Bowl.

3. A flock of 5* recruit signees.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

1. Injury free finish to the season, and a very healthy 2022 season to bring things back into balance. Injuries were the forgotten narrative of this season; the staff should get more credit than they have for keeping things on track.

2. An offense and QB in 2022 that will utilize our über talented WR corps. Williams is the most talented UO WR of my lifetime; he’s open on seemingly every play (great release) and when he does get the ball he looks like a man among boys. It was great seeing Hutson play so well but on his TD and the big gain before it Williams was even more open than Hutson was ha.

3. Guys like McKinley, Dorlus, and both Williams returning for another year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

Here's my only wish.

Hoping we can find whatever causes our flaws and trying to fix them as much as possible.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:

3. Guys like McKinley, Dorlus, and both Williams returning for another year.
That's a good one. I think we'll get 2/3 of those (I think McKinley is gone).
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Just so it doesn't seem I just hop into the thread to question other's wish lists and don't provide my own, here are mine:

1) This absolutely won't happen (hence wish list), and honestly wouldn't be fair to do to Brown, but it would be to give one of the young QBs the start in the bowl game. The result of the bowl game is pointless, so I think it would be a great opportunity to get their feet wet. Brown got them to that point, so it wouldn't be right to do that to him, and he obviously has no incentive to sit the bowl game, so I understand that won't likely happen. In a perfect world though, it would benefit the program more long-term to play one of the young guys than a win in the bowl would.

2) Hold on to all the young QBs. Again, I know this isn't likely due to the way things are these days, but in an ideal world, all 3 guys stick around and battle it out through fall camp. Competition will ensure the best guy gets the job and will bring out the best in each guy.

3) Next OC isn't as QB run-centric, or Moorhead adapts in the off chance he stays. I preface this by saying that I really like Moorhead, think he's one of the top OCs in the country and would love to have him back. I'm just rolling with the assumption that he's as good as gone. I think the current personnel they have doesn't fit the scheme to a tee. I have faith that Moorhead can adjust (the offense showed flashes of being dynamic with Shough at the helm last season) and think some of the current system is built to fit Brown's skillset, but his history at MSU and Penn St., along with previous comments he's made, suggests he does really like to run the QB. Just want to see that trimmed back a bit, as it exposes the QB to a lot of hits, and again isn't a great fit with the personnel.
HomeSickDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by HomeSickDuck »

droop10 wrote:Just so it doesn't seem I just hop into the thread to question other's wish lists and don't provide my own, here are mine:

1) This absolutely won't happen (hence wish list), and honestly wouldn't be fair to do to Brown, but it would be to give one of the young QBs the start in the bowl game. The result of the bowl game is pointless, so I think it would be a great opportunity to get their feet wet. Brown got them to that point, so it wouldn't be right to do that to him, and he obviously has no incentive to sit the bowl game, so I understand that won't likely happen. In a perfect world though, it would benefit the program more long-term to play one of the young guys than a win in the bowl would.

2) Hold on to all the young QBs. Again, I know this isn't likely due to the way things are these days, but in an ideal world, all 3 guys stick around and battle it out through fall camp. Competition will ensure the best guy gets the job and will bring out the best in each guy.

3) Next OC isn't as QB run-centric, or Moorhead adapts in the off chance he stays. I preface this by saying that I really like Moorhead, think he's one of the top OCs in the country and would love to have him back. I'm just rolling with the assumption that he's as good as gone. I think the current personnel they have doesn't fit the scheme to a tee. I have faith that Moorhead can adjust (the offense showed flashes of being dynamic with Shough at the helm last season) and think some of the current system is built to fit Brown's skillset, but his history at MSU and Penn St., along with previous comments he's made, suggests he does really like to run the QB. Just want to see that trimmed back a bit, as it exposes the QB to a lot of hits, and again isn't a great fit with the personnel.
The outcome of a bowl game, especially if it’s the rose bowl is very important. The rest of the players on the roster didn’t work all year to just to go in and say “it doesn’t matter if we win, let’s start the freshmen.”
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

HomeSickDuck wrote:
droop10 wrote:Just so it doesn't seem I just hop into the thread to question other's wish lists and don't provide my own, here are mine:

The outcome of a bowl game, especially if it’s the rose bowl is very important. The rest of the players on the roster didn’t work all year to just to go in and say “it doesn’t matter if we win, let’s start the freshmen.”
I understand it matters to the players, and it's why I said it's never going to happen, and I understand why it won't happen. I could have been more specific what I meant by it being pointless. I think from a program outlook, it's pointless. The result of the bowl game won't impact the program's trajectory in any manner, while getting the QB of the future reps could have an impact on next season. However, I understand the message it would send to the players is negative, so this is a wish list item if all things were in a vacuum, I suppose (maybe if I was firing up NCAA 2014 and didn't have to take into account player's emotions :lol: ).
HomeSickDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by HomeSickDuck »

droop10 wrote:
HomeSickDuck wrote:

I understand it matters to the players, and it's why I said it's never going to happen, and I understand why it won't happen. I could have been more specific what I meant by it being pointless. I think from a program outlook, it's pointless. The result of the bowl game won't impact the program's trajectory in any manner, while getting the QB of the future reps could have an impact on next season. However, I understand the message it would send to the players is negative, so this is a wish list item if all things were in a vacuum, I suppose (maybe if I was firing up NCAA 2014 and didn't have to take into account player's emotions :lol: ).
It is important for recruiting. Especially with how negative the pac-12 is viewed by the other conferences. All pac-12 teams need to take care of business in out of conference games. This is why the likes of Najee Harris and others have left the west coast.