Miami actively trying to hire Mario? Edit: MC is Miami's HC

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Miami actively trying to hire Mario? Edit: MC is Miami's HC

Post by OregonFan4Life »

https://mobile.twitter.com/AndySlater/s ... gr%5Etweet

Sorry can’t figure out how to embed tweets on my phone. This is a weird tweet considering Miami hasn’t even fired Diaz. College football is a mess right now due to the coaching portal, as David Pollack calls it.
Duck07
All-American

Re: Miami actively trying to hire Mario?

Post by Duck07 »

OregonFan4Life wrote: Sorry can’t figure out how to embed tweets on my phone. This is a weird tweet considering Miami hasn’t even fired Diaz. College football is a mess right now due to the coaching portal, as David Pollack calls it.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

For those who know, is there a buyout clause for Mario for Miami? I know we did something similar with old Pepsi can.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Duck07 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote: Sorry can’t figure out how to embed tweets on my phone. This is a weird tweet considering Miami hasn’t even fired Diaz. College football is a mess right now due to the coaching portal, as David Pollack calls it.
Thank you!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Duck07 wrote:For those who know, is there a buyout clause for Mario for Miami? I know we did something similar with old Pepsi can.
Not one specifically for Miami but he's got a significant buyout for any other school to pay.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

The Miami 247 mod who has pushed the Mario narrative there for months, admitted Miami hasn’t even talked to Mario.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

"Will try" being the key words in that tweet. Misleading tweet by adding "in the coming days" as if a hire is imminent. Well of course they WILL TRY! I think its doubtful but I don't know MC personally so its possible he is entertaining the idea, who wouldn't? Miami is beautiful and would be easy to recruit from the area. I guess we will see.
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

Oregon is a better job. Period.
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Post by Oregon Ownage »

bellsduck wrote:Oregon is a better job. Period.
I think thats irrelevant in this case. Mario is from Miami so the hometown pull, not to mention, coaching where he played is a huge pull.

There are people behind the scenes at UM actively pushing for him to come back and help bring back the U to what they know it to be (when Mario played there). They are pushing more money towards the football program starting next season and in future seasons as the President is starting to realize football has an impact for other programs on campus and in terms of donors. So getting a former player back to coach with his ability to recruit is a big deal for them.

Manny Diaz had has buyout drop over the past couple of days and they are still searching for a new AD makes this an interesting spot for them. Do you hire a coach before an AD? If you wait, then you probably lose out on him with the early signing period right around the corner.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Miami just hired a new AD so Diaz may be out soon and the pursuit of Cristobal will likely start shortly thereafter.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

If he takes the Miami job I won't be hurt by it. Pep Hamilton for OC or HC depending on what Mario does though. That's my wildcard choice.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Like when Chip was flirting with the NFL, I'm getting very tired of these rumors happening every off-season. Go or start vehemently shooting down these rumors. s*** or get off the pot, Mario.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Tough to be a fan these days.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

bellsduck wrote:Oregon is a better job. Period.
I'm just curious why you think this. Even laying aside the fact that Mario is from Florida and Miami is his Alma Mater where he won 2 National Championships, it seems like there are a lot of reasons to pick Miami over Oregon.

1. Government: Florida has way less restrictions about mask-wearing, vaccinations, and no income tax.

2. Money: Miami is likely to outbid Oregon for Mario's services, and we all know how how high a regard that region has for football.

3. Weather: (I'm not even going to bother explaining this one)

4. Recruiting: You go from one of the lightest areas for D-1 recruits in the nation to Grand Central Station for blue-chippers. You go from traveling 900 miles to L.A. to going out on your front porch and ringing the dinner bell.

Whatever issues Miami has in order to resuscitate the program, it seems like Mario has already been through worse and come out on a positive trajectory. I'm not sure how worried he is about achieving a similar result on his own home turf. I think we are kidding ourselves. The only real argument we have is that he might stay out of loyalty because Oregon gave him his big break. How long is he required to stay to pay it back?