Should we bring the Hammer to MC?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: Should we bring the Hammer to MC?

Post by buckmarkduck »

We’ve given him a huge budget, hire a Fn OC and get out of his way. Preferably Lebby (I know, I know). But I can’t take these offenses anymore, I want dynamic again. I’m willing to over look bad misdeeds to get it.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I believe the consensus here is the same as I feel, keep Mario but dump the offense. When Chip was here we won a lot but would consistently lose to the teams with bigger, stronger lines. Cristabol is doing the right thing by bringing in meat, he needs a more diverse offense with a QB that can be consisten……. Which is not AB! He needs a OC that can develop players. Bottom line is Mario needs to stay. Pay him! #10and3
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Alan wrote:I believe the consensus here is the same as I feel, keep Mario but dump the offense. When Chip was here we won a lot but would consistently lose to the teams with bigger, stronger lines. Cristabol is doing the right thing by bringing in meat, he needs a more diverse offense with a QB that can be consisten……. Which is not AB! He needs a OC that can develop players. Bottom line is Mario needs to stay. Pay him! #10and3

It would be crazy to let Mario go. The problem mainly lies in three things:

1. Lack of a versatile QB. AB has done some great things, the wins over Ohio State and Fresno State were huge. But the lack of accuracy throwing downfield was going to catch up with the Ducks eventually. Honestly, I'm surprised that Utah was the first team to force him to beat them.

2. Young receivers and the injuries to Redd and Johnson. As if things weren't hard enough on AB already, losing the 2 senior guys with 3 games to play hurt.

3. Injuries on defense. The Ducks had a tough time getting of the field on 3rd and long all season.

Next year we'll have more talent and depth at most positions. I'm just curious if they'll bring in a QB through the transfer portal. I hope they can bring in a proven guy who can both run and throw the deep ball.
John 3:36
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
droop10 wrote:What exactly is everyone’s plan after firing him? I’m leaning more toward the fact that he’s leaving this weekend, so you’ll all get your wish. Think you’re unhappy now? Just wait for whatever underwhelming hire they end up with this late in the cycle, and they lose a significant portion of this class, leading to yet another rebuild. It’s going to be a rough couple of years if he does end up leaving.
Call me crazy but I think Oregon could get Lame Kiffin and I think that’d be an improvement over MC.

This is the post. You’re not crazy. Kiffin made a lot of mistakes when he was younger, but he is one of the best offensive minds in the game. He can recruit and with Oregon’s resources, he would kill it here. He just won 10 games at Ole Miss for &@&$ sake.

He makes $4.5M a year. If you put the $7M a year that we are willing to pay Cristobal in front of him, he absolutely takes it. takes. And everyone wins, except for Miami.
Last edited by northbeachsf on Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
stlDUCKfan
Pac-12 Prediction Winner!

Post by stlDUCKfan »

To be honest I wouldn't be too bummed if Mario left as long as they can make a splash hire, but damn these Miami fans on twitter are so freaking annoying I want him to stay just so I can laugh at them. They're so arrogant it's unreal. They must think it's still 2000.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

stlDUCKfan wrote:To be honest I wouldn't be too bummed if Mario left as long as they can make a splash hire, but damn these Miami fans on twitter are so freaking annoying I want him to stay just so I can laugh at them. They're so arrogant it's unreal. They must think it's still 2000.
They may be annoying, but they are right. He is leaving.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

northbeachsf wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
droop10 wrote:What exactly is everyone’s plan after firing him? I’m leaning more toward the fact that he’s leaving this weekend, so you’ll all get your wish. Think you’re unhappy now? Just wait for whatever underwhelming hire they end up with this late in the cycle, and they lose a significant portion of this class, leading to yet another rebuild. It’s going to be a rough couple of years if he does end up leaving.
Call me crazy but I think Oregon could get Lame Kiffin and I think that’d be an improvement over MC.

This is the post. You’re not crazy. Kiffin made a lot of mistakes when he was younger, but he is one of the best offensive minds in the game. He can recruit and with Oregon’s resources, he would kill it here. He just won 10 games at Ole Miss for &@&$ sake.

He makes $4.5M a year. If you put the $7M a year that we are willing to pay Cristobal in front of him, he absolutely takes it. takes. And everyone wins, except for Miami.
The problem is we never actually see how Kiffin’s recruiting plays out. He’s usually at a school for 2-3 years, then bolts. He hasn’t elevated the recruiting at Ole Miss at all. I’m not sure he’s that great of a recruiter. Also, just not sure it’s ideal to hire a guy you know will be gone within a couple of years, at which point you’ll have to start all over again.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Lane Kiffen isn't coming to Eugene, get over that nonsense.
Even if you were to lure him here, he's gone after a year or two. I don't want anything to do with that nonsense.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Duck07 wrote:Lane Kiffen isn't coming to Eugene, get over that nonsense.
Even if you were to lure him here, he's gone after a year or two. I don't want anything to do with that nonsense.

Dude makes 4.5 mill, and is willing to go anywhere for money. He isn’t married to Ole Miss. if UO gets him one step closer to his goals, he would jump on it.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

buckmarkduck wrote:

Dude makes 4.5 mill, and is willing to go anywhere for money. He isn’t married to Ole Miss. if UO gets him one step closer to his goals, he would jump on it.
His wife won't like living in Eugene and we're back to needing another coach in 2 years if he comes. What's that point of that?
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

People realize kiffin's recruiting class is currently ranked #38, right?
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

StevensTechU wrote:People realize kiffin's recruiting class is currently ranked #38, right?
That's my same thought. He hasn't necessarily impressed in recruiting outside of his time at SC (and I guess maybe his 1 year at Tennessee?). We already know SC will always do well in recruiting regardless of the coach, and UT was before the disaster as SC. He's done a decent job of being in transfers, but recruiting hasn't been anything special. Also, he'll be gone within a couple of years, so I don't think he helps the trajectory of the program at all. Honestly, I don't think he'll even get consideration from Mullens. The problem is that I don't really see any great fits out there, so it's probably going to be an underwhelming hire.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

UofDuck wrote: This is exactly right. Chris Peterson at Boise State proved that good coaching trumps good recruiting. Our recruiting has been spectacular and our coaching has be abysmal. Our talent has been able to hide our poor coaching to a point, but now it’s been exposed.
And CK proved that you have a limited ceiling when your roster is not oozing with natural talent. Pick your poison.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

StevensTechU wrote:People realize kiffin's recruiting class is currently ranked #38, right?
He’s 10-2 in the SEC with the No 38 recruiting class? Sounds good to me.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Duck07 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:

His wife won't like living in Eugene and we're back to needing another coach in 2 years if he comes. What's that point of that?
How do you know any of that? Who says he would leave after 2 years? He is back on the west coast and would have the resources to win a championship