So psychoanalyze me as a fan

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

This year we finished the regular season 10-2.
We had one of the best non-conference wins ever.
We beat Washington and Oregon State and WSU

So what's wrong with my fandom this year?
-The halftime score was spoiled to me, so I checked the final score later and deleted the game off my dvr. First Duck game I haven't watched in years, decades, win or lose.
-For years I have watched almost every game multiple times, this year I have watched only a few recorded replays.
-I would prefer Mario stay, but if he left I would probably feel more interested than sad.
-I think I would prefer watching a less talented team lose more games but play at or above its talent level, but I may be wrong about that in actual practice.

So what's the analysis and is anyone else afflicted with this fandom malaise?

(Sure wish the BB programs were playing better right now.)
Bigwaved
Four Star Recruit

Re: So psychoanalyze me as a fan

Post by Bigwaved »

Maybe give the games what they deserve? If you are entertained by it, watch. If not, don’t. If you put anything more into that, like letting a bunch of kids and a handful over overpaid coaches impact your life in any significant way, it may be time to take a break. If you want to observe interesting human behavior, just browse the game thread after a game. This place is an all you can eat buffet of that sort of craziness.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I think the single biggest issue for the fanbase in general for being "less than enthused" with a 10-3 season is all about the feeling of dread at the QB position because of the last 2 years and how that has soured the Offense.

Heck, some people were even prognosticating that Brown was simply going to be the QB through the Ohio State game and then we'd see the young QBs because it made no sense to trot them out in such a big game that early but then we'd see them in a soft part of the schedule. When you mismanage that position and then the OL looks bad on film replay it sours things when the Coach has expressed the desire to be better than that. So it isn't like our expectations are out of line because that is what the Program has also set for itself.

We've lost 2 out of our last 3 and it could be 4 in 5 with the Alamo Bowl and Georgia the next 2 games on the schedule.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

You aren’t alone. Essentially every duck fan I know is in the same boat.

Your last point is it, IMO. Never in my Duck lifetime have we seen a team that seems to willfully hamstring itself. The win at tOSU only made it that much more painful to watch us struggle with all-time bad teams like Furd, Zona, UW, Cal, etc. Never has our conference has so many of its teams on that bottom rung, and it took everything this team had to survive them. It was just a bizarre season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Wow, you nailed my thoughts to a T. Exactly the same for me. What really blew me away, was I also ALWAYS watched games multiple times. Didn’t occur to me until you mentioned that. Weaned off of them beginning last year, carried over this year (exception being the Ohio State game). 2 most likely reasons for me. One, the teams play is not sexy. No vertical game bores me. Even last year, Shough was awful, now followed by Brown. Two, all the hype about the young recruits on offense, yet barely getting glimpses of them all year. The image of Whittingham in the locker room pre-game asking his players ‘Who wants it more?’, then watching the Ducks come out lethargic again…Unfortunately, even with a great record, nothing draws me to replay the games. With the meager Duck fans showing up to Vegas, guess I’m not alone.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Duck07 wrote:I think the single biggest issue for the fanbase in general for being "less than enthused" with a 10-3 season is all about the feeling of dread at the QB position because of the last 2 years and how that has soured the Offense.

Heck, some people were even prognosticating that Brown was simply going to be the QB through the Ohio State game and then we'd see the young QBs because it made no sense to trot them out in such a big game that early but then we'd see them in a soft part of the schedule. When you mismanage that position and then the OL looks bad on film replay it sours things when the Coach has expressed the desire to be better than that. So it isn't like our expectations are out of line because that is what the Program has also set for itself.

We've lost 2 out of our last 3 and it could be 4 in 5 with the Alamo Bowl and Georgia the next 2 games on the schedule.
I love this post! Couldn’t agree more, and that’s why it is annoying when other duck fans call us spoiled, “it’s a 10 win season! 20 years ago we’d love a 10 win season!” Well times have changed, we now have sone of the best facilities in the world and we have great recruiting classes. It would only make sense expectations would rise with that! The idea we should just be happy with a 10 win season is silly if that 10 win season so below their potential.

Regarding why it’s tough to watch this team, it’s not that they have a boring style of play, it’s that it’s simply bad football. The offense is a mess, they play so sloppy and so bad! It’s mind boggling that by the 13th game of the season the offense can look like they’ve never practiced before and like they have 0 care of the outcome of the game. They trot out there with no fire, no motivation, no game plan, and no preparation, even when the defense is fighting and creating turnovers. It’s just painful to watch. I said during the game the first half was comical to college football fans but the second half was just painful, it was like watching a train wreck, everyone just wanted it to end except Utah fans. This offense is beyond embarrassing and painful to watch, not cause of the style, cause they’re just really really bad.

And regarding another post in this thread, it is actually possible to really care about the outcome of an Oregon game and still be an intelligent and successful person. I love Oregon football and I’d absolutely LOVE a national championship, but when the game is over I’m a loving husband and father and even if the ducks lose the most heartbreaking national championship game I can go to work the next day and be successful at my job where I have a great career. So nothing is wrong with anyone for caring so deeply about this team and how they perform, it’s normal as a fan.
Last edited by OregonFan4Life on Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Everythingsducky wrote:Wow, you nailed my thoughts to a T. Exactly the same for me. What really blew me away, was I also ALWAYS watched games multiple times. Didn’t occur to me until you mentioned that. Weaned off of them beginning last year, carried over this year (exception being the Ohio State game). 2 most likely reasons for me. One, the teams play is not sexy. No vertical game bores me. Even last year, Shough was awful, now followed by Brown. Two, all the hype about the young recruits on offense, yet barely getting glimpses of them all year. The image of Whittingham in the locker room pre-game asking his players ‘Who wants it more?’, then watching the Ducks come out lethargic again…Unfortunately, even with a great record, nothing draws me to replay the games. With the meager Duck fans showing up to Vegas, guess I’m not alone.
I would argue the showing in Vegas has nothing to do with apathy, rather than 2 factors:

1) much easier for Utah fans to get to the game. Driving distance, plus they has 2 weeks to prep, while Oregon only had 5 days to figure out travel.

2) this is the 3rd straight year in the game for the Ducks, and the Ducks have won it, while Utah had never won the conference, so it meant more to their fans.

That being said, I do think Duck fans are also way more fairweather. Winning isn’t enough to tune in, they also need to look sexy. Can’t sell out home games anymore. The fan base has evolved, and not for the better.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

droop10 wrote:
2) this is the 3rd straight year in the game for the Ducks, and the Ducks have won it, while Utah had never won the conference, so it meant more to their fans.

That being said, I do think Duck fans are also way more fairweather. Winning isn’t enough to tune in, they also need to look sexy. Can’t sell out home games anymore. The fan base has evolved, and not for the better.
Wrong. The prior post to yours explains everything:
it’s not that they have a boring style of play, it’s that it’s simply bad football. The offense is a mess, they play so sloppy and so bad! It’s mind boggling that by the 13th game of the season the offense can look like they’ve never practiced before and like they have 0 care of the outcome of the game. They trot out there with no fire, no motivation, no game plan, and no proration, even when the defense is fighting and creating turnovers. It’s just painful to watch.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

All I know is if I have to watch Anthony Brown shrug his shoulders one more time after an interception or some other terrible play, I'm going to lose it. The only other time I can remember where I didn't want to see an Oregon QB play ever again was Brady Leaf.

This offense is not fun to watch, and therefore, there is little incentive to stick with a losing performance. Unlike the original poster, I do skip games now and then, usually when I know Oregon is going to lose. I skipped ASU a few years ago, and several games last year. This year, I skipped the first meeting with Utah, and stuck with it for most of the half last night before turning it off. I never did that under Chip. It is just infuriating for me to watch the ineptitude. Someone compared it to Pellum's defense, and I think that comparison is apt. The fact that Moorehead and probably Mario are getting hired after the last two seasons' performance is a joke to me. Yes, the Ducks won 10 games, but it was in one of the worst years ever for the conference. I am really glad Oregon beat Ohio State and UW, etc. I usually look forward to a bowl game though, and this year, I may not even watch. Hopefully they fix something soon.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

I repeat all of sentiments above. Our offense is doo doo and boring on top of that.

Not a fun team to watch.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

+1

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Apathy is a black widow lurking in the shadows for a sports team. If something doesn’t change on the offensive side soon the effects will escalate. Excitement will wain.

It wasn’t that long ago that we had an ad campaign that Oregon’s tradition was to be non-traditional. Uniforms, fast, innovative, lots of offense, excitement. That is all going out the window and the effects and $s will follow. Innovation means taking risks, and MC refuses to do that. The refusal to give the young QBs a chance when ABs wheels were falling off says it all.

I don’t like our trajectory. If MC can learn and morph from this year and introduce new life into a suffocated offensive scheme, good on him - but I’m not holding my breath. He seems WAY to stubborn.
Last edited by UofDuck on Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

I said this jokingly in the game thread, but now it’s stuck in my head: Based on how surprised the entire world was at the level of success Herbert immediately found in the NFL, what happens if Brown somehow carves out an NFL career?

He won’t, because of the lengthy list of fatal flaws we’ve been reveling in all season, but…. What happens when he does?

Similarly, what happens when tOSU mops the floor with Utah?

The second outcome is far more likely, but either would damn this coaching staff beyond what confession can forgive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
Duck07 wrote:I think the single biggest issue for the fanbase in general for being "less than enthused" with a 10-3 season is all about the feeling of dread at the QB position because of the last 2 years and how that has soured the Offense.

I love this post! Couldn’t agree more, and that’s why it is annoying when other duck fans call us spoiled, “it’s a 10 win season! 20 years ago we’d love a 10 win season!” Well times have changed, we now have sone of the best facilities in the world and we have great recruiting classes. It would only make sense expectations would rise with that! The idea we should just be happy with a 10 win season is silly if that 10 win season so below their potential.

Regarding why it’s tough to watch this team, it’s not that they have a boring style of play, it’s that it’s simply bad football. The offense is a mess, they play so sloppy and so bad! It’s mind boggling that by the 13th game of the season the offense can look like they’ve never practiced before and like they have 0 care of the outcome of the game. They trot out there with no fire, no motivation, no game plan, and no preparation, even when the defense is fighting and creating turnovers. It’s just painful to watch. I said during the game the first half was comical to college football fans but the second half was just painful, it was like watching a train wreck, everyone just wanted it to end except Utah fans. This offense is beyond embarrassing and painful to watch, not cause of the style, cause they’re just really really bad.

And regarding another post in this thread, it is actually possible to really care about the outcome of an Oregon game and still be an intelligent and successful person. I love Oregon football and I’d absolutely LOVE a national championship, but when the game is over I’m a loving husband and father and even if the ducks lose the most heartbreaking national championship game I can go to work the next day and be successful at my job where I have a great career. So nothing is wrong with anyone for caring so deeply about this team and how they perform, it’s normal as a fan.
It pretty much boils down to one question. Who's running this train wreck? In a perfect world Mario would be an assistant coach, probably of the O-line and the ace recruiter for the team. Nothing more. He would thrive at that I think. Seems to be a nice guy and the kids like him a lot, BUT, running a team is not in his DNA.

As always- GO DUCKS!!!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

nogerO wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:

It pretty much boils down to one question. Who's running this train wreck? In a perfect world Mario would be an assistant coach, probably of the O-line and the ace recruiter for the team. Nothing more. He would thrive at that I think. Seems to be a nice guy and the kids like him a lot, BUT, running a team is not in his DNA.

As always- GO DUCKS!!!
I would actually reverse that. He is a flipping GENIUS when it comes to running the team. He IS THE VERY DEFINITION OF A HEAD COACH. Until game day. Then he needs to sit down and shut up and let his OC and DC run the show because the dude is TERRIBLE with x's and o's. He couldn't coach his way out of high school.