Canzano - If Mario Leaves, Chip may be THE target.

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

https://twitter.com/johncanzanobft/stat ... 48034?s=21

I might actually be okay with this. Chip is still a very good offensive coach. UCLA was 16th in the country in scoring offense at 37 PPG. That is good for best in the conference.

Oregon with all their 4 and 5 start recruits, ranks 45th prior to last night.
Last edited by northbeachsf on Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Re: Canzano - If Mario Leaves, Chip is the target.

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

This is his speculation. This isn’t “sources”.
Duck07
All-American

Re: Canzano - If Mario Leaves, Chip may be THE target.

Post by Duck07 »

Maybe as a Bizarro World OC under Mario but not as HC
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Duck07 wrote:Maybe as a Bizarro World OC under Mario but not as HC
Why? PAC-12 stats:
UCLA is No.1 in scoring offense
No. 2 in total offense
No.1 in scoring on special teams
No.1 in special teams average return yards.

Just get a decent defensive coordinator and look out.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

northbeachsf wrote:
Why? PAC-12 stats:
No. 2 in total offense

Pac-12 record: 18-25

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:
Why? PAC-12 stats:
No. 2 in total offense

UCLA was a complete rebuild and a dumpster fire when he took over, so not really fair to look at his overall record there.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Chip's offense and brand recruited top 10-15 classes at the time....now, not so much.

The next DAT is salivating over Lincoln Riley and Ryan Day, not Chip.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

northbeachsf wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:
Why? PAC-12 stats:
No. 2 in total offense

UCLA was a complete rebuild and a dumpster fire when he took over, so not really fair to look at his overall record there.

Hmm? Recruiting ranking before Chip 18, 12, 13, and 20. On field records 10-3, 8-5, 4-8, 6-7 before Chip. They had better talent then Oregon when Willie took over. Yet Wt and Mario won at UO, Chip has been basically a bust at ucla. He is to lazy to go get the top 15 classes he could easily get at ucla with a little work.
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

I look at the wandering path Harbaugh has taken to get UM back on top after finding immediate success in a much worse spot at Stanford as validation that a great coach may need time to establish his thing.

I’d love to see CK come back. And I fully believe if UCLA stands by him, it’ll pay off. He’s a generational football mind.

whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

Even thinking back to how different it felt when we were watching Chip flirt with the NFL compared to Mario’s current dance with his Alma Mater…
Rather than Matt Kearney writing love songs, we’re debating whether we ought to fire him.

Last edited by whosyourwally on Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Chip doesn’t need Top 15 recruiting classes. He is running the best offense in the conference with marginal talent. If he gets a halfway decent defensive coordinator this year, he is going to start winning a ton of games. His offense and special teams are better than every other team in the conference.

What good is it to get Top 10 recruiting classes when the talent is not being utilized properly?? How have guys like Seven been on the bench all year?? Oregon is 45th in scoring offense and 54th in total offense. You almost have to try and be that bad with this much talent. Oregon’s offense is ranked behind teams like Duke, NIU, App State, Miami Ohio, Air Force, Toledo, Tulsa, etc.

I don’t think people realize how bad this offense is right now. Oregon was a few small mistakes from being 7-5 this year. Not to mention the product is almost unwatchable. Do you think this recruiting is sustainable with the product on the field? What do you think next year is going to look like with a QB that has no meaningful college experience?
Last edited by northbeachsf on Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

northbeachsf wrote:Chip doesn’t need Top 15 recruiting classes. He is running the best offense in the conference with marginal talent. If he gets a halfway decent defensive coordinator this year, he is going to start winning a ton of games. His offense and special teams are better than every other team in the conference.

What good is it to get Top 10 recruiting classes when the talent is not being utilized properly?? How have guys like Seven been on the bench all year?? Oregon is 45th in scoring offense and 54th in total offense. You almost have to try and be that bad with this much talent. Oregon’s offense is ranked behind teams like Duke, NIU, App State, Miami Ohio, Air Force, Toledo, Tulsa, etc.

I don’t think people realize how bad this offense is right now. Oregon was a few small mistakes from being 7-5 this year. Not to mention the product is almost unwatchable. Do you think this recruiting is sustainable with the product on the field? What do you think next year is going to look like with a QB that has no meaningful college playing time?
The problem is Chip is loyal to certain guys as his assistants and they hold him back. Azz at D coordinator is one of them. I like Chip, but he’s not the answer. He may be able to get away with it on offense, but the defense will suffer without top classes. Chip would make a great OC (which will never happen), but I don’t think he’s the answer as HC anymore.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

droop10 wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:Chip doesn’t need Top 15 recruiting classes. He is running the best offense in the conference with marginal talent. If he gets a halfway decent defensive coordinator this year, he is going to start winning a ton of games. His offense and special teams are better than every other team in the conference.

I don’t think people realize how bad this offense is right now. Oregon was a few small mistakes from being 7-5 this year. Not to mention the product is almost unwatchable. Do you think this recruiting is sustainable with the product on the field? What do you think next year is going to look like with a QB that has no meaningful college playing time?
The problem is Chip is loyal to certain guys as his assistants and they hold him back. Azz at D coordinator is one of them. I like Chip, but he’s not the answer. He may be able to get away with it on offense, but the defense will suffer without top classes. Chip would make a great OC (which will never happen), but I don’t think he’s the answer as HC anymore.
Serious question. So are you okay with Mario, who is about to have 5 straight top 11 recruiting classes, but can’t field a Top 50 offense and is 14-6 when he doesn’t have Justin Herbert as his QB?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I don’t think people realize how bad this offense is right now. Oregon was a few small mistakes from being 7-5 this year. Not to mention the product is almost unwatchable. Do you think this recruiting is sustainable with the product on the field? What do you think next year is going to look like with a QB that has no meaningful college experience?

Let’s test that theory. At Oregon, a place his coaches didn’t think you can recruit to.
2009-30
2010-12
2011-12
2012-14

His 2009 team was carried by the 2007 class which was 13 ranked class. It does appear recruiting is important to his success.
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

northbeachsf wrote: Serious question. So are you okay with Mario, who is about to have 5 straight top 11 recruiting classes, but can’t field a Top 50 offense and is 14-6 when he doesn’t have Justin Herbert as his QB?
I think the majority of us are at the point that we like Mario but he's got to do better with the Offense and if he doesnt realize that this offseason, then he will coach himself out of the job.