Canzano - If Mario Leaves, Chip may be THE target.

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Re: Canzano - If Mario Leaves, Chip may be THE target.

Post by pezsez1 »

I want Mario to stay. He has a lot of growing up to do as a head coach, but it's nothing that can't be improved upon. That said, if he left and we did somehow get Chip, then I'd be perfectly happy with that, too.

As things stand, Chip is a superior game caller. He lacks in recruiting, but he makes up for that by being a superior evaluator of talent. He is also better at recruiting and developing the QB position, and that is crucial in modern college football.

Again, Mario could close the gap on these things in coming years, and his sheer recruiting abilities are unmatched... but people here are underrating Chip based on how long it has taken to rebuild a terrible program.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

It's funny watching the mood among fans shift from being afraid Mario will leave to being afraid he will stay.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Phalanx wrote:It's funny watching the mood among fans shift from being afraid Mario will leave to being afraid he will stay.
This^^^ :lol:
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Phalanx wrote:It's funny watching the mood among fans shift from being afraid Mario will leave to being afraid he will stay.
I think it is a legitimate concern. Oregon is allegedly about to give him $7.5M in base salary to stay. I think some people are coming to the realization that Justin Herbert was hiding some of the bigger issues with the offense.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

buckmarkduck wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:Chip doesn’t need Top 15 recruiting classes. He is running the best offense in the conference with marginal talent. If he gets a halfway decent defensive coordinator this year, he is going to start winning a ton of games. His offense and special teams are better than every other team in the conference.

What good is it to get Top 10 recruiting classes when the talent is not being utilized properly?? How have guys like Seven been on the bench all year?? Oregon is 45th in scoring offense and 54th in total offense. You almost have to try and be that bad with this much talent. Oregon’s offense is ranked behind teams like Duke, NIU, App State, Miami Ohio, Air Force, Toledo, Tulsa, etc.

I don’t think people realize how bad this offense is right now. Oregon was a few small mistakes from being 7-5 this year. Not to mention the product is almost unwatchable. Do you think this recruiting is sustainable with the product on the field? What do you think next year is going to look like with a QB that has no meaningful college experience?

Let’s test that theory. At Oregon, a place his coaches didn’t think you can recruit to.
2009-30
2010-12
2011-12
2012-14

His 2009 team was carried by the 2007 class which was 13 ranked class. It does appear recruiting is important to his success.
So what you are saying is that Mario has had better recruiting classes than Chip every year over their 4 year spans. Even if you just look at the last two years, Mario has lost 6 of his 20 games, and half of those losses were to sub .500 teams.

I am not saying I want him gone, but I also certainly don’t want Oregon to give him $7.5M in base salary based on the above performance. If Miami does, all the more power to them. Let them live with that decision.
GDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by GDuck »

Chris Peterson would be my first target. Might get Lake as part of it? Would love to see the Husky reaction to this.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

I know we all love recruiting stars and Top 10 rankings, but they are inaccurate and tend to favor kids East of the Rockies. Chip found talented players and developed them into stars. My bigger concern with bringing back Chip is the "No Huddle, No Mercy" offense has been copied and no longer the innovation it was 10 years ago.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Well it sounds like Mario to Miami is a done deal, so now we get to see who made the right decision.

https://twitter.com/grjenkin/status/146 ... 90643?s=21
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

I'm not sure Chip has shown anything since he left Oregon that makes me want him back.
UofO8
Senior

Post by UofO8 »

northbeachsf wrote:
Duck07 wrote:Maybe as a Bizarro World OC under Mario but not as HC
Why? PAC-12 stats:
UCLA is No.1 in scoring offense
No. 2 in total offense
No.1 in scoring on special teams
No.1 in special teams average return yards.

Just get a decent defensive coordinator and look out.
And UCLA has been absolute s*** while he has been there save for an okay year this season. Anyone that wants Chip back at this point needs their head examined.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Not sure I'm ready to go back to all the cloak and dagger secrecy stuff that Chip did with the program and press conferences.
stlDUCKfan
Pac-12 Prediction Winner!

Post by stlDUCKfan »

No Chip please. The name that I would be most intrigued with is Aranda. If not him just go after some young up and coming offensive mind that would be fun to play for.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

bellsduck wrote:I'm not sure Chip has shown anything since he left Oregon that makes me want him back.
He had to rebuild the UCLA program, unlike inheriting a lot of talent at Oregon. He went 8-4 this season, so that's respectable.

I think Chip might stick around this time - if hired. As long as he kept winning at Oregon and kept them relevant in the conference, and occasional national championship race, the Duck fans should stay happy. Also, if a 12 team playoff happens soon, as expected, that would make the playoffs easier to attain.

I'd rather have Petersen if I thought he'd stick around long term, but I don't think he would.
John 3:36
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

SuperDuck wrote:
bellsduck wrote:I'm not sure Chip has shown anything since he left Oregon that makes me want him back.
He had to rebuild the UCLA program, unlike inheriting a lot of talent at Oregon. He went 8-4 this season, so that's respectable.

I think Chip might stick around this time - if hired. As long as he kept winning at Oregon and kept them relevant in the conference, and occasional national championship race, the Duck fans should stay happy. Also, if a 12 team playoff happens soon, as expected, that would make the playoffs easier to attain.

I'd rather have Petersen if I thought he'd stick around long term, but I don't think he would.
He didn't have to rebuild the UCLA program and if you believe he had to, then you have to recognize that he hasn't rebuilt them.

Nobody we get is sticking around long-term, so lets hope we can get 5 years in before they take a higher profile job and we accept the results from their rise in the coaching ranks before doing this again.
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

Duck07 wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:

He didn't have to rebuild the UCLA program and if you believe he had to, then you have to recognize that he hasn't rebuilt them.

Nobody we get is sticking around long-term, so lets hope we can get 5 years in before they take a higher profile job and we accept the results from their rise in the coaching ranks before doing this again.
It does seem that we have become a stepping stone program instead of a destination program