Next Duck Coach: DAN LANNING

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

dthomas=ddixon

Next Duck Coach: DAN LANNING

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Since it sounds like Mario is gone let’s start a thread dedicated to our search for a new HC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duck07
All-American

Re: Next Duck Coach

Post by Duck07 »

Well at least Mullens should have already had a head-start as part of a contingency plan.

I'm absolutely all aboard the idea of letting Mike Bellotti and Bob Stoops coach the Alamo Bowl
neezy3
Four Star Recruit

Post by neezy3 »

I heard a rumor about Peterson during the game but crickets after that.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

neezy3 wrote:I heard a rumor about Peterson during the game but crickets after that.
It might have been me if only because I've thrown a few names out and he's one of those choices. Pep Hamilton, Kellen Moore have been thrown out as OC's but a new HC changes everything.

As far as active HC's go, Dave Aranda at Baylor might be one you could back after even though he turned LSU down it also sounds like they didn't try that hard.

Due to how early other schools started the process this year, it kind of leaves us late in the game really when in most years this process would be getting started.

Chip and Wilcox do not appeal to me.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

I sincerely hope that Mario stays, but if he does leave, a few names come to mind who might be good fits:

1. Chris Petersen

If he could be lured from retirement, Petersen is a great coach.

2. Bryan Harsin

The guy is a good coach, not great. If he wants to return to the NW it could be a good fit - depending on who he hires on his staff.

3. Gus Mahlzon

This is a shot in the dark as he's definitely a guy with southern roots, but can you imagine what he could do with the existing talent at Oregon? He might win us a natty, along with Petersen.

I was really hoping for Kiffin but he just locked into a new contract at Ol' Miss.

IF Mario leaves, I hope Oregon puts together a national search team to vet candidates and doesn't hire from the current staff.

A few other names to seriously consider:

David Shaw - Stanford

Shaw is a top tier coach who's been limited by the academic standards at Stanford. He knows the conference and is a good recruiter. He'd bring a more balanced offense, as well as an emphasis on defense. He's said he wants to stay there for life, but he'd have a ton of talent and recruiting restraints removed at Oregon. This would be a true opportunity for him to win a natty if that's important to him.

Dave Aranda - Baylor
Mike Gundy - Oklahoma State

The exodus of Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC has to be in the back of the minds of other top tier coaches in the Big-12. They don't know how relevant the conference will be in the next 3-4 years and that will likely be used as a negative recruiting tool by other schools outside the conference.
Last edited by SuperDuck on Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
John 3:36
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Since we all know Mario is already packing and finding the kids schoools :roll: :roll:

Mike Leach
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Ducks Head Coaching Hires this millennium.

Chip Kelly - Left for NFL
Mark Helfrich - Fired
Slick Willie - Left for FSU
Mario Cristobal - ?

If Mario does in fact leave, it means 3 of our 4 last HC hires have all viewed the Oregon job as a stepping stone and the 1 who viewed it as a destination was a failure. That might just have to be a reality that we accept when it comes to whoever we hire as HC that they likely won't be here very long.
GDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by GDuck »

Chris Peterson!! Maybe bring Lake with him? Would love to see Huskies reaction to that.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Duck07 wrote:Ducks Head Coaching Hires this millennium.

Chip Kelly - Left for NFL
Mark Helfrich - Fired
Slick Willie - Left for FSU
Mario Cristobal - ?

If Mario does in fact leave, it means 3 of our 4 last HC hires have all viewed the Oregon job as a stepping stone and the 1 who viewed it as a destination was a failure. That might just have to be a reality that we accept when it comes to whoever we hire as HC that they likely won't be here very long.
Was thinking along the same lines. Despite our best efforts we still are a stepping stone, even if it’s the last stone before a final destination.

Personally, I would go hard after Peterson. He’s potentially the best of both worlds; a top tier coach and an Oregon guy so more likely to stay. Of course he already retired once so he might only have a short stint left in him anyways ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

GDuck wrote:Chris Peterson!! Maybe bring Lake with him? Would love to see Huskies reaction to that.
I would literally get sick if Lake comes to Oregon in any capacity.

I wonder what is causing Scott Frost to stumble (fail) he did well at UCF, they had a quick turnaround
stlDUCKfan
Pac-12 Prediction Winner!

Post by stlDUCKfan »

Mario Cristobal
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Wow, sports 247 even tweeted it.

[twitter]https://twitter.com/247Sports/status/14 ... 4986137604[/twitter]
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

But realistic question - can Miami hire a head coach before they hire the new athletic director? Generally speaking you need an AD first right?
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

ducks5ever wrote:Wow, sports 247 even tweeted it.
What I can glean is the ball is in Mario's court and it's time to decide. UM is apparently offering 8M at 5 years with a pool of pay for his assts. We're offering slightly less at 7.5 but no idea on length.
stlDUCKfan
Pac-12 Prediction Winner!

Post by stlDUCKfan »

ducks5ever wrote:But realistic question - can Miami hire a head coach before they hire the new athletic director? Generally speaking you need an AD first right?
... Or firing their other Head Coach. :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I think this is all a troll until I see a legitimate source saying Diaz was fired.