Next Duck Coach: DAN LANNING

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

SuperDuck
Senior

Re: Next Duck Coach

Post by SuperDuck »

lmduck wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:Here's a name everyone will know and love...

...drumroll

Brady Hoke! :-)

In all seriousness, I don't want him, but what he showed as a DC under Helf, which he'd never done before, isn't really a reflection of his capability as a head coach.

He won big at Ball State and SDU before going to Michigan. Although he didn't do as well at UM, he did have an 11-1 season, as well as a winning record. Now he's back at SDU winning 11 games again this year (so far).

With how many big name jobs that have been open (and filled) so far this season it's going to be interesting how this plays out. If Mullens whiffs on our top 2-3 candidates he may have to make a very hard decision that might not be as popular with the fan base.
wow- not really sure if this is intended as humor or you are serious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Humor :D
John 3:36
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

The significant BYU win for getting Sitake an interview should be obvious... UTAH!

NONE of BYU'S victories over PAC12 institutions was particularly mind blowing, except against the one against whom OREGON wasn't even competitive... competitive... TWICE!

It makes sense to at least talk to him, based on that.

Would Aranda be a better choice?

Maybe.

Hope Mullens has the steadying hand of Wisdom riding on his shoulders.

(Autocorrect and no sleep are a bad combination.)
Last edited by woundedknees on Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

lmduck

Post by lmduck »

SuperDuck wrote:
lmduck wrote:

...drumroll

In all seriousness, I don't want him, but what he showed as a DC under Helf, which he'd never done before, isn't really a reflection of his capability as a head coach.

He won big at Ball State and SDU before going to Michigan. Although he didn't do as well at UM, he did have an 11-1 season, as well as a winning record. Now he's back at SDU winning 11 games again this year (so far).

With how many big name jobs that have been open (and filled) so far this season it's going to be interesting how this plays out. If Mullens whiffs on our top 2-3 candidates he may have to make a very hard decision that might not be as popular with the fan base.

Okay- good. I was worried there for a minute. I think we need a sarcasm font or something. Maybe we should use green font when we are being sarcastic.

duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

lmduck wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:
lmduck wrote:

...drumroll

Okay- good. I was worried there for a minute. I think we need a sarcasm font or something. Maybe we should use green font when we are being sarcastic.

Oh humor good had a pile of Oregon gear ready to set afire if serious lol
OfaFeather
Two Star Recruit

Post by OfaFeather »

I hope they reach out to Luke Fickell, he is an undervalued coach and we could provide more in salary and benefits than Cincinnati. But Cincy is his home town I think so may be difficult. Then Aranda, then Jeff Traylor.
OfaFeather
Two Star Recruit

Post by OfaFeather »

I have to add that I don’t think that recruiting will be much of an issue for here on out…with Nike and Phil as large backers recruits have to understand the NIL aspects of Oregon going forward. Heck Phil started a company to help players cash in on the NIL boom.

We just need a solid coach who is innovative and willing to change course in case of major issues. Cristobal was not that, I wish him luck, but I think Miami will be looking for a new coach in 5-6 years. With Miami having to compete with FSU and all the SEC teams for players who want to stay in the south, he will have a harder time there than at Oregon. And his coaching is vanilla and antiquated and confusing. He talked about physicality and finishing games..except for one game this year, that did not happen. He talks a good game but this is his 5th year with Oregon, what he did was good but not great. Miami will be looking for greatness, and Cristobal isn’t that with his current skill set.

And please don’t bring Arroyo back, his season with UNLV was atrocious and his Pistol all the time didn’t even work in the MW.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

OfaFeather wrote:I have to add that I don’t think that recruiting will be much of an issue for here on out…with Nike and Phil as large backers recruits have to understand the NIL aspects of Oregon going forward. Heck Phil started a company to help players cash in on the NIL boom.

We just need a solid coach who is innovative and willing to change course in case of major issues. Cristobal was not that, I wish him luck, but I think Miami will be looking for a new coach in 5-6 years. With Miami having to compete with FSU and all the SEC teams for players who want to stay in the south, he will have a harder time there than at Oregon. And his coaching is vanilla and antiquated and confusing. He talked about physicality and finishing games..except for one game this year, that did not happen. He talks a good game but this is his 5th year with Oregon, what he did was good but not great. Miami will be looking for greatness, and Cristobal isn’t that with his current skill set.

And please don’t bring Arroyo back, his season with UNLV was atrocious and his Pistol all the time didn’t even work in the MW.
There has not been ANY mention of bringing Arroyo back so I think you can feel good abou that.

I agree that Mario has a lot to learn from a coaching perspective and maybe he will. I met him VERY briefly and liked him. I do think by and large he conducted himself professionally and he clearly cared about the players. We can debate some things forever and we will all have different opinions BUT the one thing I hated about Helfrich and some of the 'old guard' of coaches, I honestly felt some of them were just buying time till retirement. They had no energy. At least the staff under MC had energy and cared about their jobs. Helf had no energy and the players hated him. They had zero respect for him. The locker room was a complete and total zoo under him and there were some serious issues among the players.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

I was just comparing recruiting classes from 2019-2021, looking for consistencies and any coaches that had consistently good classes to see if they were available.

Here's what I found.

Three names stood out prominently.

Ed Orgeron
Dan Mullen
Gus Mahlzon

Orgeron is a beast of a recruiter. I definitely wouldn't want him as our HC, but if Mullen or Mahlzon could get him on their staff?

Mullen ranked #9 twice and #12 last year.

Mahlzon was #11 in 2019 and #7 in 2020.

Personally, I think Gus Mahlzon would be a great hire. If he could bring in guys like Orgeron, maybe Joe Brady, some of his former Auburn staff and a handful of west coast guys that know the recruiting terrain, I think he could bring a natty to Eugene.

Seriously (lmduck) :-)
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

SuperDuck wrote:I was just comparing recruiting classes from 2019-2021, looking for consistencies and any coaches that had consistently good classes to see if they were available.

Here's what I found.

Ed Orgeron
Dan Mullen
Gus Mahlzon

Orgeron is a beast of a recruiter. I definitely wouldn't want him as our HC, but if Mullen or Mahlzon could get him on their staff?

Mullen ranked #9 twice and #12 last year.

Mahlzon was #11 in 2019 and #7 in 2020.

Personally, I think Gus Mahlzon would be a great hire. If he could bring in guys like Orgeron, maybe Joe Brady, some of his former Auburn staff and a handful of west coast guys that know the recruiting terrain, I think he could bring a natty to Eugene.

Seriously (lmduck) :-)
Orgeron has waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much baggage. The guy is a slime ball. I get that everyone loves him because he won at LSU but the guy can't be trusted. He was a scumbag at SC as well. I would be very surprised if Mullens pursued him. Let me say I hope no way in hell he pursues him. I wanna win but not at the expense of the integrity of the university and Oregon athletics. The guy has zero morals and is in no way a leader of young men.
OfaFeather
Two Star Recruit

Post by OfaFeather »

SuperDuck wrote:I was just comparing recruiting classes from 2019-2021, looking for consistencies and any coaches that had consistently good classes to see if they were available.

Here's what I found.

Ed Orgeron
Dan Mullen
Gus Mahlzon
I like the Mullen angle, didn’t even think about him.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Oklahoma fans think Aranda would be a good choice for Oregon
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Duck07 wrote:Oklahoma fans think Aranda would be a good choice for Oregon
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Love it! 8-)

Yep, Aranda just beat him 27-14 like three weeks ago?
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

SuperDuck wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Love it! 8-)

Yep, Aranda just beat him 27-14 like three weeks ago?
That’s hilarious [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Thanks for that laugh this morning! I literally laughed out loud, needed that this morning. Aranda is one my very top choices, I hope Mullens go after him……. Is he going after Aranda?
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Here's more about Aranda. Seems like a guy worth rooting for and considering he started in a Covid year, I'm willing to overlook the 2-7 season in favor of the 11-2

https://www.si.com/college/2021/12/05/d ... ampionship