McClendon to coach bowl game

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duck023
Four Star Recruit

Re: McClendon to coach bowl game

Post by duck023 »

Duck07 wrote:
duck023 wrote:Yeah I get Baylor isn't the same ole Baylor and it's not a sure thing. The one thing that stood out to me was Miami fans confidence they've been calling Oregon a stepping stone for a few weeks now and they were confident they would get there guy. I'd just like to see a little of that from our own fanbase. If Oregon is such a small school why does nobody ever cry for us like they do with Cincy, UCF and Boise St. Nobody thinks of us as a small school except for the fans that were around during the Fouts days.
Honestly, once we do win a NC, we're going to be like Notre Dame of the West. You either love the Ducks of you f'in hate us.

We're not a small school nor are we a big school. Ok St has a billion dollar booster but they can't mimic what we have in Eugene. The majority of this board recognizes/embraces that but we also know that we tried the home-town lifer and he couldn't cut it. Ergo, it's okay to have coaches who might move on. Saban left LSU for the NFL. Some things you can't control.

As for McClendon, it's interesting that he might be a possible candidate and I think its worth seeing what he can bring to the table. Maybe he just becomes OC but if he has a plan that keeps a lot of the Offensive players on the team and they support him, I find myself intrigued.
That is weird I had the exact same thought pop up in my head. If Oregon won 1 national championship they would be considered a Blue Blood. I have a special connection with both Oregon and Notre Dame as those were the first two college football teams I knew about as a little kid so I agree with you. Although, I was thinking they would be more like a West Coast Clemson at first but Notre Dame is closer to Oregon colors and fight song. Notre Dame and Oregon are the only fight songs I know the words to.

One more thing I should point out which will show you why I think so highly of Oregon. I grew up with 3 Oregon jackets, an Oregon hat and Notre Dame Jacket. I didn't know Alabama or USC even existed until I started watching college football which was Joey Harrington's junior year. So I grew up thinking Oregon was special like Notre Dame. I still think they are special
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
duck023 wrote:
justin_f wrote:
duck023 wrote:I don't want to get into the History of Baylor but lets just say before RGIII they were the Vanderbilt of the Big 12 and RGIII getting them to the Alamo Bowl felt like the biggest thing in program History. This is 10 years after Joey Harrington's BCS win, 15 years after the pick, and 25 years after Dan Fouts. The funny thing is with Texas falling off I'd be annoyed by your argument but still admit you had a point when it comes to Texas but not Baylor. Oregon isn't UC Davis only we think of ourselves as a small school nobody is crying for us when they are talking about small schools getting a chance by the way.
Just take a break buddy

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Yeah because I think Oregon is better than Baylor. OH THE CRAZINESS!!!!. Some of you Oregon fans are stuck in the past and want to see Oregon lose like they did back in the day so you can call yourselves a small school. I'm also stuck in the past because the first season I watched of Oregon they were 11-2 and beat a top 2 Washington Team also beating Texas in the Holiday Bowl. That is what I expect and every duck fan should too.
Since I assume you're referring to me, let me put your mind at ease. Regarding your sentence I bolded I never said that or implied it and I certainly don't want it. Some how you have yourself all worked up because I and a couple of others pointed out that poaching a coach from today's Baylor is not a slam dunk. Not impossible but harder than taking assistants from WSU because today's Baylor has well above average P5 resources and commitment to athletics.
I wasn't actually referring to you to be honest. Don't get me wrong I like the old school Duck fans and it is nice to go back and look at the Fouts years and the 91 Liberty Bowl season to sort of get some prospective of how far the Duck's have come. I first started watching the Duck's in 99 and the Duck's have come a long way since then too. However 2 years before I started watching the Duck's they had a solid year with Akali Smith. I could argue that year was better than this year. So even with Akali Smith's standard's Oregon should have been a bit better.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

:lol:
GrandpaDuck wrote:
duck023 wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
duck023 wrote: Miami fans are what you would get if you gave a UW fan a sun tan and fist full of ecstasy.
Probably not much of a reach...

:lol:
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

If McClendon gets the full-time job, be prepared to hear "At the end of the day..." approximately 37x in every interview.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

At the end of the day, if B-Mac turns out to be a winner somewhere, he can say it as many times as he likes ;) !
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

I'll admit I was panicked because I didn't know what was going on but now everything is coming together. I've heard McClendon has worked with Dan Lanning before so he is the perfect interim.