lmduck

McClendon to coach bowl game

Post by lmduck »

This is a good thing IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Re: McClendon to coach bowl game

Post by greenyellow »

Interesting choice considering the several options they had on the staff.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Yeah interesting choose. I like it but would love to know the reasoning behind it. Maybe they hope to keep him and our WRs around?

duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

I was hoping it would be Deruyter. This shows that they are definitely not hiring from within and this scares me because the last time the Athletic Director made the worst hire that he could make. Not only did the coach go 7-6 but that coach thought that was successful and left after that year. I knew Willie Taggert was a horrible option but he was actually worse than I thought he would be because I thought he'd at least last 2 years. So when I tell you that Houston guy is Taggert 2.0 I hope someone believes me.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

He coached Georgia as interim previously, might be due to do that.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

duck023 wrote:I was hoping it would be Deruyter. This shows that they are definitely not hiring from within and this scares me because the last time the Athletic Director made the worst hire that he could make. Not only did the coach go 7-6 but that coach thought that was successful and left after that year. I knew Willie Taggert was a horrible option but he was actually worse than I thought he would be because I thought he'd at least last 2 years. So when I tell you that Houston guy is Taggert 2.0 I hope someone believes me.
What Houston guy are you talking about?

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

lmduck wrote:
duck023 wrote:I was hoping it would be Deruyter. This shows that they are definitely not hiring from within and this scares me because the last time the Athletic Director made the worst hire that he could make. Not only did the coach go 7-6 but that coach thought that was successful and left after that year. I knew Willie Taggert was a horrible option but he was actually worse than I thought he would be because I thought he'd at least last 2 years. So when I tell you that Houston guy is Taggert 2.0 I hope someone believes me.

Perhaps Dave Aranda, who has won a P5 Conference Title, unlike Taggart.

Whoever we have coaching right now on Defense is going to be watching his film to see how they held Oklahoma to 14 points
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

Duck07 wrote:
lmduck wrote:

Whoever we have coaching right now on Defense is going to be watching his film to see how they held Oklahoma to 14 points
Actually I was talking about the guy you mentioned the other day Pep Hamilton. He gives me Willie Taggert vibes because he seems like an ok coach that will leave Oregon going 7-6 like he was successful. On the other hand I love the idea of Dave Aranda. If Oregon can't out recruit Baylor then they should just give up.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

duck023 wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
lmduck wrote:

Actually I was talking about the guy you mentioned the other day Pep Hamilton. He gives me Willie Taggert vibes because he seems like an ok coach that will leave Oregon going 7-6 like he was successful. On the other hand I love the idea of Dave Aranda. If Oregon can't out recruit Baylor then they should just give up.
Baylor is in Texas home of a bazillion recruits, has top notch facilities and cash fisted donors and athletes are treated like Kings and Queens (and back in the Art Briles days, Roman Emperors).
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

So I assume Rob knows which coaches are leaving?
UofO8
Senior

Post by UofO8 »

This shows that they are definitely not hiring from within
Good, because hiring anyone left on the staff as a HC would be a horrible idea.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
duck023 wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
lmduck wrote:

Baylor is in Texas home of a bazillion recruits, has top notch facilities and cash fisted donors and athletes are treated like Kings and Queens (and back in the Art Briles days, Roman Emperors).
Are we UC Davis fans? I'd expect a UC Davis fan to make this argument. Oregon should have a little more pride. I don't think the expectations are too high I think they are too low. We got stuck with Willie Taggert last time because of people like you that didn't think Oregon deserved a better coach than that. If you guy's want to root for UC Davis go ahead they were successful like Oregon was for 3 quarters of the year but I as a true Oregon fan refuses to bow to Baylor. Also is Baylor the only great college in Texas like Oregon is the only great college in their state? Is Baylor right next door to California like Oregon? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

duck023 wrote:Actually I was talking about the guy you mentioned the other day Pep Hamilton. He gives me Willie Taggert vibes because he seems like an ok coach that will leave Oregon going 7-6 like he was successful. On the other hand I love the idea of Dave Aranda. If Oregon can't out recruit Baylor then they should just give up.
Herbert's first NFL QB Coach gives you Taggart vibes? If you've never heard him speak, nothing about it is a sales pitch. He's earnest and an effective communicator. One of the neat things the XFL did was to mic up the coaches and I loved hearing him in-game talk to his QB.

He may not have college interest anymore after Stanford and Michigan, but the dude has nothing in common with Taggart as a Coach.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

duck023 wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:
duck023 wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
lmduck wrote:

Are we UC Davis fans? I'd expect a UC Davis fan to make this argument. Oregon should have a little more pride. I don't think the expectations are too high I think they are too low. We got stuck with Willie Taggert last time because of people like you that didn't think Oregon deserved a better coach than that. If you guy's want to root for UC Davis go ahead they were successful like Oregon was for 3 quarters of the year but I as a true Oregon fan refuses to bow to Baylor. Also is Baylor the only great college in Texas like Oregon is the only great college in their state? Is Baylor right next door to California like Oregon? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo
Two things.

First I was pointing out that out recruiting Baylor for Players or Coaches isn't some kind of cake walk. They are a national power in Football, Men's and Women's Basketball and more. They are far from the pushover you seem to think they are.

Second, I wanted to make an Art Briles - Caligula joke.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

I don't want to get into the History of Baylor but lets just say before RGIII they were the Vanderbilt of the Big 12 and RGIII getting them to the Alamo Bowl felt like the biggest thing in program History. This is 10 years after Joey Harrington's BCS win, 15 years after the pick, and 25 years after Dan Fouts. The funny thing is with Texas falling off I'd be annoyed by your argument but still admit you had a point when it comes to Texas but not Baylor. Oregon isn't UC Davis only we think of ourselves as a small school nobody is crying for us when they are talking about small schools getting a chance by the way.