McClendon to coach bowl game

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: McClendon to coach bowl game

Post by Duck07 »

duck023 wrote:I don't want to get into the History of Baylor but lets just say before RGIII they were the Vanderbilt of the Big 12 and RGIII getting them to the Alamo Bowl felt like the biggest thing in program History. This is 10 years after Joey Harrington's BCS win, 15 years after the pick, and 25 years after Dan Fouts. The funny thing is with Texas falling off I'd be annoyed by your argument but still admit you had a point when it comes to Texas but not Baylor. Oregon isn't UC Davis only we think of ourselves as a small school nobody is crying for us when they are talking about small schools getting a chance by the way.
What does Baylor's history matter when talking about a specific Coach? Why isn't the focus for you about Dave Aranda, why is it all about crapping on Baylor the institution? (Which mind you, I get that they deserve it for their recent past but it just isn't germane to the thread)
justin_f
One Star Recruit

Post by justin_f »

duck023 wrote:I don't want to get into the History of Baylor but lets just say before RGIII they were the Vanderbilt of the Big 12 and RGIII getting them to the Alamo Bowl felt like the biggest thing in program History. This is 10 years after Joey Harrington's BCS win, 15 years after the pick, and 25 years after Dan Fouts. The funny thing is with Texas falling off I'd be annoyed by your argument but still admit you had a point when it comes to Texas but not Baylor. Oregon isn't UC Davis only we think of ourselves as a small school nobody is crying for us when they are talking about small schools getting a chance by the way.
Just take a break buddy

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

Duck07 wrote:
What does Baylor's history matter when talking about a specific Coach? Why isn't the focus for you about Dave Aranda, why is it all about crapping on Baylor the institution? (Which mind you, I get that they deserve it for their recent past but it just isn't germane to the thread)
because the argument being made to me is about how Dave Aranda will never leave the historic and popular recruiting gold mine called Baylor to go to little ole Oregon. I think some of you guy's want to root for a small school so I'd suggest UC Davis they had a year similar to Oregon and have great rivalry games with Eastern Washington. If I thought Oregon was some small school that couldn't out recruit the Vanderbilt of the Big 12 then I'd root for bigger school.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

justin_f wrote:
Just take a break buddy

Yeah because I think Oregon is better than Baylor. OH THE CRAZINESS!!!!. Some of you Oregon fans are stuck in the past and want to see Oregon lose like they did back in the day so you can call yourselves a small school. I'm also stuck in the past because the first season I watched of Oregon they were 11-2 and beat a top 2 Washington Team also beating Texas in the Holiday Bowl. That is what I expect and every duck fan should too.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

duck023 wrote:because the argument being made to me is about how Dave Aranda will never leave the historic and popular recruiting gold mine called Baylor to go to little ole Oregon. I think some of you guy's want to root for a small school so I'd suggest UC Davis they had a year similar to Oregon and have great rivalry games with Eastern Washington. If I thought Oregon was some small school that couldn't out recruit the Vanderbilt of the Big 12 then I'd root for bigger school.
You know, you might actually be funny if your intent was to be humorous with this. Like, when you want to talk about a small school you might say CAL LUTHERAN, the Alma Mater of Aranda.

That said, it should be obvious that there are certain advantages, specifically to recruiting and economics that can weigh heavily in favor of staying at a P5 school that will pay you well. He's in the middle of Texas so it's the same trip to SoCal for recruits as it is to Florida. For all we know, Aranda's interest in Oregon is because he knows he's getting a guaranteed pay raise and his agent has told him this.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

duck023 wrote:
justin_f wrote:
Just take a break buddy

Yeah because I think Oregon is better than Baylor. OH THE CRAZINESS!!!!. Some of you Oregon fans are stuck in the past and want to see Oregon lose like they did back in the day so you can call yourselves a small school. I'm also stuck in the past because the first season I watched of Oregon they were 11-2 and beat a top 2 Washington Team also beating Texas in the Holiday Bowl. That is what I expect and every duck fan should too.
Since I assume you're referring to me, let me put your mind at ease. Regarding your sentence I bolded I never said that or implied it and I certainly don't want it. Some how you have yourself all worked up because I and a couple of others pointed out that poaching a coach from today's Baylor is not a slam dunk. Not impossible but harder than taking assistants from WSU because today's Baylor has well above average P5 resources and commitment to athletics.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

Duck07 wrote:
duck023 wrote:because the argument being made to me is about how Dave Aranda will never leave the historic and popular recruiting gold mine called Baylor to go to little ole Oregon. I think some of you guy's want to root for a small school so I'd suggest UC Davis they had a year similar to Oregon and have great rivalry games with Eastern Washington. If I thought Oregon was some small school that couldn't out recruit the Vanderbilt of the Big 12 then I'd root for bigger school.
You know, you might actually be funny if your intent was to be humorous with this. Like, when you want to talk about a small school you might say CAL LUTHERAN, the Alma Mater of Aranda.

That said, it should be obvious that there are certain advantages, specifically to recruiting and economics that can weigh heavily in favor of staying at a P5 school that will pay you well. He's in the middle of Texas so it's the same trip to SoCal for recruits as it is to Florida. For all we know, Aranda's interest in Oregon is because he knows he's getting a guaranteed pay raise and his agent has told him this.
Yeah I get Baylor isn't the same ole Baylor and it's not a sure thing. The one thing that stood out to me was Miami fans confidence they've been calling Oregon a stepping stone for a few weeks now and they were confident they would get there guy. I'd just like to see a little of that from our own fanbase. If Oregon is such a small school why does nobody ever cry for us like they do with Cincy, UCF and Boise St. Nobody thinks of us as a small school except for the fans that were around during the Fouts days. I always like to point this out. My high standards didn't come from the Chip era by then I had rooted for Oregon for 10 years. My high standards came from the Joey Harrington days. Even in the Joey Harrington days I wouldn't want to be out recruited by Baylor.
Last edited by duck023 on Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

duck023 wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

Yeah I get Baylor isn't the same ole Baylor and it's not a sure thing. The one thing that stood out to me was Miami fans confidence they've been calling Oregon a stepping stone for a few weeks now and they were confident they would get there guy. I'd just like to see a little of that from our own fanbase. If Oregon is such a small school why does nobody ever cry for us like they do with Cincy, UCF and Boise St. Nobody thinks of us as a small school except for the fans that were around during the Fouts days.

Miami fans are what you would get if you gave a UW fan a sun tan and fist full of ecstasy.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
duck023 wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

Yeah I get Baylor isn't the same ole Baylor and it's not a sure thing. The one thing that stood out to me was Miami fans confidence they've been calling Oregon a stepping stone for a few weeks now and they were confident they would get there guy. I'd just like to see a little of that from our own fanbase. If Oregon is such a small school why does nobody ever cry for us like they do with Cincy, UCF and Boise St. Nobody thinks of us as a small school except for the fans that were around during the Fouts days.

Miami fans are what you would get if you gave a UW fan a sun tan and fist full of ecstasy.
lol I needed a good laugh
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

duck023 wrote:Yeah I get Baylor isn't the same ole Baylor and it's not a sure thing. The one thing that stood out to me was Miami fans confidence they've been calling Oregon a stepping stone for a few weeks now and they were confident they would get there guy. I'd just like to see a little of that from our own fanbase. If Oregon is such a small school why does nobody ever cry for us like they do with Cincy, UCF and Boise St. Nobody thinks of us as a small school except for the fans that were around during the Fouts days.
Honestly, once we do win a NC, we're going to be like Notre Dame of the West. You either love the Ducks of you f'in hate us.

We're not a small school nor are we a big school. Ok St has a billion dollar booster but they can't mimic what we have in Eugene. The majority of this board recognizes/embraces that but we also know that we tried the home-town lifer and he couldn't cut it. Ergo, it's okay to have coaches who might move on. Saban left LSU for the NFL. Some things you can't control.

As for McClendon, it's interesting that he might be a possible candidate and I think its worth seeing what he can bring to the table. Maybe he just becomes OC but if he has a plan that keeps a lot of the Offensive players on the team and they support him, I find myself intrigued.
snapt
Four Star Recruit

Post by snapt »

UC Davis fan here, does this guy know all the connection between Davis and Oregon over the years?
BOOF it!
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Back to the thread:

Confession. When I saw the title to this thread I said to myself, "who the hell is that". To me I have him mentally filed away as "the new receivers coach". Now that he's coach for a game, maybe his name will stick.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

snapt wrote:UC Davis fan here, does this guy know all the connection between Davis and Oregon over the years?
I don't but I have ESPN+ but no regular cable so I've been watching UC Davis all year as the small school I rooted for. So I was a UC Davis fan this year. The weird thing is UC Davis had the same exact sort of year as Oregon. They got off to a 8-1 start and it looked like they could have been one of the best in D2 but then they lost to Eastern Washington in that foggy game and then lost to Sac St. So I do like rooting for UC Davis as my small school.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

snapt wrote:UC Davis fan here, does this guy know all the connection between Davis and Oregon over the years?
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:Back to the thread:

Confession. When I saw the title to this thread I said to myself, "who the hell is that". To me I have him mentally filed away as "the new receivers coach". Now that he's coach for a game, maybe his name will stick.
I see McClendon and I still think of Aubrey McClendon who helped steal the Sonics from Seattle with the help of Howard Schultz.