Dan Lanning and...

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

woundedknees
All-American

Re: Dan Lanning and...

Post by woundedknees »

Sounds like a nice short term fix for the attrition experienced over the last month or so in the WR corps.

Hope they can smoothly mesh with the emerging young guns...

Now the QB competition and development becomes even more interesting.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

McMillan would be a great addition. Was a top 75 recruit and would only be a SO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

McMillan played pretty well, given how bad their QB was. Prob one of the few full season starting QBs that are worse than AB.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

alxtw wrote:McMillan played pretty well, given how bad their QB was. Prob one of the few full season starting QBs that are worse than AB.
This was a fairly horrid year for QBs in the Pac-12, maybe the worst one I can remember. This is a conference that had 2-3 first round QBs at almost any given year. Now it’s to the point where the debate is which unpalatable option is not the worst.

Dylan Morris was probably the worst opening day starter that didn’t get replaced ASAP. He’s soooo bad, and Anthony Brown was middle of the pack, maybe even one of the top quarter along with DTR, Rising, de Laura, and Nolan. Heck, I’d take Brown over all of them except DTR. And I’m no fan of his. Washington’s receivers had a tough go for sure. Bynum and McMillan are both worth taking. Germie Bernard wouldn’t have been with our original WR situation but he is now, although I think he is in Seattle already.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

GoDucksTroll wrote:
alxtw wrote:McMillan played pretty well, given how bad their QB was. Prob one of the few full season starting QBs that are worse than AB.
This was a fairly horrid year for QBs in the Pac-12, maybe the worst one I can remember. This is a conference that had 2-3 first round QBs at almost any given year. Now it’s to the point where the debate is which unpalatable option is not the worst.

Dylan Morris was probably the worst opening day starter that didn’t get replaced ASAP. He’s soooo bad, and Anthony Brown was middle of the pack, maybe even one of the top quarter along with DTR, Rising, de Laura, and Nolan. Heck, I’d take Brown over all of them except DTR. And I’m no fan of his. Washington’s receivers had a tough go for sure. Bynum and McMillan are both worth taking. Germie Bernard wouldn’t have been with our original WR situation but he is now, although I think he is in Seattle already.
The poor QB play in the Pac12 will be around until the top group of QBs on the west coast, especially California, stop signing with SEC schools, Ohio State, and Clemson. Lincoln Riely is a temporary fix to that dilemma for USC. But the rest of the Pac12 teams just need to play better and be making NY6 and Playoff games.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

alxtw wrote:
GoDucksTroll wrote:

The poor QB play in the Pac12 will be around until the top group of QBs on the west coast, especially California, stop signing with SEC schools, Ohio State, and Clemson. Lincoln Riely is a temporary fix to that dilemma for USC. But the rest of the Pac12 teams just need to play better and be making NY6 and Playoff games.
I agree - but only partially. Because there is no shortage of QB talent in the Pac-12, I think it’s more of a coaching issue. There is a bad trend afoot, but QBs from California have always left the conference: Casey and Jimmy Clausen, Tate Forcier, Kyle Wright, Ben Olson, Dayne Crist - all of those were either 5-stars or borderline. Even Tom Brady and Ken Dorsey can be included. Meanwhile, Andrew Luck and Darron Thomas made their way to the Pac-12, it’s always been an exchange.

It’s a lot of bad coaching and bad scouting. Bad recruiting is a factor, but just one of them.

Bryce Young, DJ Ukelele (who turned awful), Spencer Rattler, and CJ Stroud are the recent examples of that. The talent drain is exaggerated, here’s some guys’ rankings as QBs their recruiting year: number 2 (Sam Huard), 6th (Ty Thompson), 9th (Jaxson Dart), 11th (Miller Moss), 3rd (Jayden Daniels), 7th Dylan Morris, 4th (DTR), 6th (Tanner McKee). Not including JT Daniels, and Davis Mills was at Stanford last year and he was the top overall QB.

The bigger issue I think is the lack of big bodies. Demographic and cultural reasons are big factors. Positions other than QB are issues as well; Brock Bowers was a recruiting failure. Chris Olave was a scouting failure, Oregon was where he wanted to go and we didn’t offer. And Oregon, along with USC and Stanford, are the only schools consistently pulling from other parts of the country.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Seems Lupoi will be announced officially any time as his contract was just approved by the Board of Trustees. He'll be making around $1.7 million per year, which would make him one of the highest paid assistants in the conference.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

greenyellow wrote:Seems Lupoi will be announced officially any time as his contract was just approved by the Board of Trustees. He'll be making around $1.7 million per year, which would make him one of the highest paid assistants in the conference.
Isn’t Lanning calling plays?? $1.7 million for a non-play-calling DC is CRAZY. He better bring in four or five 5-star recruits per year.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Seems Lupoi will be announced officially any time as his contract was just approved by the Board of Trustees. He'll be making around $1.7 million per year, which would make him one of the highest paid assistants in the conference.
Isn’t Lanning calling plays?? $1.7 million for a non-play-calling DC is CRAZY. He better bring in four or five 5-star recruits per year.
Agree! With that high of a salary, he better be a more elite recruiter than Donte Williams because looking back through his resume, player development is not one of his strengths.

Would have preferred to have offered an elite recruiter, like Donte Williams, the DC title and a starting salary around the low 1mln range with room for raises and bonus incentives since Lanning will be calling the plays on Defense. Save the extra money for hiring better assistant coaches at other positions and not be on the hook for a large sum if the DC doesn't pan out.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

alxtw wrote:
DuckMastaFunk wrote:
Agree! With that high of a salary, he better be a more elite recruiter than Donte Williams because looking back through his resume, player development is not one of his strengths.

Would have preferred to have offered an elite recruiter, like Donte Williams, the DC title and a starting salary around the low 1mln range with room for raises and bonus incentives since Lanning will be calling the plays on Defense. Save the extra money for hiring better assistant coaches at other positions and not be on the hook for a large sum if the DC doesn't pan out.

Donte helped go behind his last HC back to get him fired, hoping he could lead SC to a winning season and get the job full time. I’m not sure he is a guy I would want around a first time HC.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:
I don't think that has been established one way or the other.

Does Kirby Smart or Lanning call the plays at Georgia?

Is Lanning on the field or in the box?

Usually if you have a Head Coach calling plays on the field, the Coordinator is in the box giving input.

I would bet a nickel Lanning won't call the plays and one of the CO-DCs will be in the Box and the other on the field. The new CO-DC from Baylor has never been a DC or even a CO-DC so it seems unlikely he'll be the play caller.
snapt
Four Star Recruit

Post by snapt »

Lanning was on the field for the CFP game on Friday and had a whiteboard going over XO's with his D non stop.
BOOF it!
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

buckmarkduck wrote:
alxtw wrote:
DuckMastaFunk wrote:

Donte helped go behind his last HC back to get him fired, hoping he could lead SC to a winning season and get the job full time. I’m not sure he is a guy I would want around a first time HC.
Totally agree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Whoa, $5 mil for three years is a lot. But that’s the cost of a top flight coordinator, and even if Tosh isn’t the play caller he’ll have a lot of say in the room and his recruiting is worth it. Alabama’s defense where he called plays was fantastic until the last three games; SEC championship vs Georgia, Oklahoma in the semis, loss to Clemson in the title game - I think those can be forgiven given the circumstances. The Clemson game especially, if anyone remembers, wasn’t as bad as it looked. Tua should take the heat: pick-6, another 50 yard interception return for a short field, add in a fumble and three turnover on downs while Clemson had a 75 yard pass and a 65 yard one that skewed the stats - explosive plays by guys like Tee Higgins happen.

Yet Bama fans acted like Tosh was 2016 Brady Hoke.

This list of Tosh recruits: https://247sports.com/Coach/Tosh-Lupoi- ... eRecruits/

I’m seeing six first round draft picks since 2013 were Tosh recruits, and a handful of 2-3rd rounders. At three different schools, players at all positions, and from all over the country. In comparison Oregon had seven first round draft picks after JStew until now.