Dan Lanning and...

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

stlDUCKfan
Pac-12 Prediction Winner!

Dan Lanning and...

Post by stlDUCKfan »

Who's coming over on the Dan Van with Dan the man? Who will be coming down the Lanning strip?

I thought maybe it would be nice to have a new thread for potential OC/DC/Coaching positions now that we got the head guy?

I haven't really heard of any potential DCs. Have any of you?

OC I've heard/thought of:

Kenny Dillingham
Dan Mullen

I feel like Dan Mullen could be a good hire because he's had success as a OC/QB coach at Florida with Urban Meyer. He also had HC experience so he may be able to help Mr. Lanning. Kind of view that hire as a Moorhead move of a recently fired HC that will probably get another HC job at some point, just making a quick stop on the way.

Thoughts?
jerryblank
One Star Recruit

Re: Dan Lanning and...

Post by jerryblank »

Good thread idea. I wonder if Donte Williams fits into this plan at all.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

jerryblank wrote:Good thread idea. I wonder if Donte Williams fits into this plan at all.

Why does anyone want Donte back? If we are signing a DB/db coach at least get one who can coach. James Lake
stlDUCKfan

Post by stlDUCKfan »

buckmarkduck wrote:
jerryblank wrote:Good thread idea. I wonder if Donte Williams fits into this plan at all.

Why does anyone want Donte back? If we are signing a DB/db coach at least get one who can coach. James Lake
I think the main reason is that he's a ++ recruiter. I'm fine with putting him back at DB but I am not a fan of DC just to keep him as recruiter, same as BMAC at OC. Recruiting is important but we need people with experience at these positions since our HC is so young and inexperienced.

I love the hire, but we need a solid OC and DC IMO.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

BMac is a guy you give the title of co-oc or whatever to make him feel good and pay him more money. But he isn’t the true oc. Just like they did to keep big joe happy
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I don’t remember Dontae being that bad of a coach, I remember our secondary playing extremely well when he was around.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Donte isn’t a great coach but he’s the best recruiter on the west coast, so he’s worth getting on the staff if possible. If nothing else to keep another Pac-12 team from having him.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Donte could be DC if Lanning is hands on with that unit. Then the recruiting prowess is perfect.

Offensively, there are so many ways you could go with it. I could care less if it's a big name. I just hope they keep running a spread offense and don't revert to some pro style stuff to 'help the defense.'
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

StevensTechU wrote:Donte could be DC if Lanning is hands on with that unit. Then the recruiting prowess is perfect.

Offensively, there are so many ways you could go with it. I could care less if it's a big name. I just hope they keep running a spread offense and don't revert to some pro style stuff to 'help the defense.'
I love the idea of Donte as DC under Lanning, that’d be like Helf as OC under Chip. Yeah Donte has the DC title but it’s Lanning calling the defensive plays and strategy. Having those two recruiting would be huge especially if Lanning brings in a really good OC and QB coach.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:Donte could be DC if Lanning is hands on with that unit. Then the recruiting prowess is perfect.

I love the idea of Donte as DC under Lanning, that’d be like Helf as OC under Chip. Yeah Donte has the DC title but it’s Lanning calling the defensive plays and strategy. Having those two recruiting would be huge especially if Lanning brings in a really good OC and QB coach.
Is there any reason to think that Donte is actually an option here, or are we just speculating?
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

buckmarkduck wrote:

Donte and Taggart (not coach Pepsi) developed the gameplan that basically shut down Oregon State in 2017. When Leavitt left, Donte thought he’d get the job but was passed over for Avalos. Reading between the lines, that’s why he left for USC. He has aspirations to be a DC and felt like there wasn’t a path forward here.

If Lanning (as a proven commodity at DC) plans to be very hands-on on defense it could be a good situation for Donte to be a “DC light” and learn under Lanning. We get a phenomenal recruiter and a warm body to run Lanning’s D. If Lanning wants to be hands-off on D and focus on HC responsibilities, I don’t think Donte is our guy.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:

Donte and Taggart (not coach Pepsi) developed the gameplan that basically shut down Oregon State in 2017. When Leavitt left, Donte thought he’d get the job but was passed over for Avalos. Reading between the lines, that’s why he left for USC. He has aspirations to be a DC and felt like there wasn’t a path forward here.

If Lanning (as a proven commodity at DC) plans to be very hands-on on defense it could be a good situation for Donte to be a “DC light” and learn under Lanning. We get a phenomenal recruiter and a warm body to run Lanning’s D. If Lanning wants to be hands-off on D and focus on HC responsibilities, I don’t think Donte is our guy.

What? Leavitt stayed until 2018 right? Donte was here in 18-19, not under FWT. No idea what or who you are thinking about, but DWill was still at Nebraska in 2017.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:

You’re thinking of Heyward, not Williams. Heyward is definitely a better coach and I’d love to have him back.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

I see what you did there Stevens![WINKING FACE]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stlDUCKfan

Post by stlDUCKfan »

Yea I could live with Donte at DC IF we get a awesome OC and Lanning is basically the DC.

Also looks like a lot of Ducks including the head duck are following Phil Longo, the UNC OC/QB. Watcha think? He's an air raid guy, so that could be interesting.