Travis Dye enters transfer portal

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

SuperDuck
Senior

Re: Travis Dye enters transfer portal

Post by SuperDuck »

Just a baseless thought, I wonder if the coaching staff are going after another RB in the portal? Maybe the kid from Colorado or someone else?
John 3:36
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

Best of luck to him - but RB's are a dime a dozen , easy replace.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Dye is a baller. Verdell can transfer, but I'd be fighting hard to keep Dye. He's Dyenamic.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

I really hope he stays. Y’all realize this is the best player on the team not named Noah Sewell?

I’ve been saying it for years, Travis is fantastic and doesn’t get nearly enough credit. Here are some seasons of other great running backs to compare to. Yards from scrimmage, per touch, and TDs. LaMike had better seasons but that’s his Doak Walker season and Heisman finalist year. Career wise Travis’ numbers are really similar to Kenjon. Without the benefit of being the starter for 1/3 of the year and working in a less dynamic offense than any of those guys here’s how he stacks up-

2021 Travis Dye: 1673 yards 6.5 yards per touch 18 TDs
2017 Royce Freeman: 1639 yards 6.4 yards per touch 16 TDs
2007 Jonathan Stewart: 1867 yards 6.2 yards per touch 13 TDs
2010 LaMike James: 1939 yards 6.2 yards per touch 24 TDs

Career: Kenjon 4214 yards 6.6 per touch Travis: 3980 yards 6.6 per touch
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I am beginning to hate the portal, my impression at this point is it needs some adjustments, more stringent adjustments………. Although coaches do not have such restrictions.. should a player be allowed to enter and exit the portal multiple times in a matter of days? Are players using the portal as leverage for NLI money? Is this Dye’s tactic?
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

GoDucksTroll wrote:I really hope he stays. Y’all realize this is the best player on the team not named Noah Sewell?

I’ve been saying it for years, Travis is fantastic and doesn’t get nearly enough credit. Here are some seasons of other great running backs to compare to. Yards from scrimmage, per touch, and TDs. LaMike had better seasons but that’s his Doak Walker season and Heisman finalist year. Career wise Travis’ numbers are really similar to Kenjon. Without the benefit of being the starter for 1/3 of the year and working in a less dynamic offense than any of those guys here’s how he stacks up-

BUT HE DOESN'T WEAR GLOVES AND FUMBLES TWICE A YEAR! It's the same situation as with QB and elsewhere. People are so scared of guys transferring, they'd rather have the inferior young guy start over a better veteran option. That doesn't mean I think the guys behind him are terrible. I think there's a lot of potential there, but they aren't as good as Dye at this point in time. That doesn't mean they are bad, Dye is just that good.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

The biggest loss is Dye's leadership. This squad in 2021 already felt light on the amount of vocal leaders and now losing Dye (with Verone already going to the League) would be disastrous.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

droop10 wrote:
GoDucksTroll wrote:I really hope he stays. Y’all realize this is the best player on the team not named Noah Sewell?

BUT HE DOESN'T WEAR GLOVES AND FUMBLES TWICE A YEAR! It's the same situation as with QB and elsewhere. People are so scared of guys transferring, they'd rather have the inferior young guy start over a better veteran option. That doesn't mean I think the guys behind him are terrible. I think there's a lot of potential there, but they aren't as good as Dye at this point in time. That doesn't mean they are bad, Dye is just that good.
To be fair, Dye did have some fumblitis - but as did CJ. CJ’s fumble against Stanford in 2018 still haunts me. Neither Dye nor CJ are perfect, and I’d be okay with CJ moving on to the pros, but both have been (at the very worst) solid.

Fans wants something new because it could be better. It always reminds me of that Family Guy scene where Peter passes up the boat to take the mystery box. “A boats a boat, but the mystery box could be anything. Even a boat! You know how much we’ve wanted one of those.”
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

GoDucksTroll wrote:
droop10 wrote:

To be fair, Dye did have some fumblitis - but as did CJ. CJ’s fumble against Stanford in 2018 still haunts me. Neither Dye nor CJ are perfect, and I’d be okay with CJ moving on to the pros, but both have been (at the very worst) solid.

Fans wants something new because it could be better. It always reminds me of that Family Guy scene where Peter passes up the boat to take the mystery box. “A boats a boat, but the mystery box could be anything. Even a boat! You know how much we’ve wanted one of those.”
Eh, I think the fumbles were a bit overblown. For some reason fumbles lost is a very hard college stat to find on individuals, but I recall looking it up sometime last year, because it felt like people were going on and on about it, and if I recall I don't think he's ever lost more than 2 fumbles in a season. He had one bad game against Cal as I recall, where he lost 2 fumbles and it's been seared into people's brains ever since that he can't hold on to a football. He only lost 1 fumble this season. Could he improve ball security? Sure, but it's not as egregious an issue as people made it out to be.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Rumors are he's visiting USC soon. It'd be strange seeing him in a Trojan uniform if he ends up there.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Haven't seen confirmation, but USC fans think he is going there. Tell me again how Oregon is the NIL program that needs to be investigated. We can't even hold on to our multi-year starting RB.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I'm so pissed Uncle Phil never did a back door deal with Mariota to return for his Sr year. And hey, doesn't he still have a year of eligibility?
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

Phalanx wrote:Haven't seen confirmation, but USC fans think he is going there. Tell me again how Oregon is the NIL program that needs to be investigated. We can't even hold on to our multi-year starting RB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

lmduck wrote:
Phalanx wrote:Haven't seen confirmation, but USC fans think he is going there. Tell me again how Oregon is the NIL program that needs to be investigated. We can't even hold on to our multi-year starting RB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is baffling. Isn't Riley's offense very pass heavy?

Many of the defensive players are excited to play for Lanning but many of our RBs are hitting the transfer portal. Wonder if there is an issue with our new RB coach, as none of the other positions on offense are experiencing close to the number of RB attrition.