Chances of Beating Georgia?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Chances of Beating Georgia?

Post by OregonFan4Life »

McDawg wrote:That sounds great. Athens is 1 1/2 hr drive to the Mercedes’, but it’s never really been to our advantage. By my count we are somewhere close to 3w 8L in that stadium, and equally abysmal in the old Georgia Dome. We took a couple of beat downs there too. So to say it’s huge advantage for UGA at the Benz may be a push. Yea, we will have a crowd advantage, agreed. Look up our record there and you’ll see; the Mercedes’ hasn’t been good to us.
Alabama has a better post season record in the Benz than the Falcons.
Nobody is blaming Georgia or other SEC teams that do this. In fact it’s smart, boost your SOS and take advantage of the media love for the SEC. Oregon and the Pac-12 would do the same except for the fact that the Pac-12 has been a national joke. I don’t blame Georgia or the SEC and most duck fans don’t even though we’re tired of it. Even the 8 conference game schedule is smart. But you can’t expect us to take you seriously if you don’t believe this is a home game for Georgia.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

McDawg wrote:That sounds great. Athens is 1 1/2 hr drive to the Mercedes’, but it’s never really been to our advantage. By my count we are somewhere close to 3w 8L in that stadium, and equally abysmal in the old Georgia Dome. We took a couple of beat downs there too. So to say it’s huge advantage for UGA at the Benz may be a push. Yea, we will have a crowd advantage, agreed. Look up our record there and you’ll see; the Mercedes’ hasn’t been good to us.
Alabama has a better post season record in the Benz than the Falcons.
Gotta love the Georgia fan pretending that this game is disadvantageous for them. :lol:
McDawg
One Star Recruit

Post by McDawg »

Of course it is a home game. And yup, it’ll be packed with UGA fans.
I’m just saying it’s not like playing at Sanford Stadium. I just don’t think it matters that much.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

McDawg wrote:Of course it is a home game. And yup, it’ll be packed with UGA fans.
I’m just saying it’s not like playing at Sanford Stadium. I just don’t think it matters that much.
Yeah in the end it doesn’t the better team will win which almost duck fan will tell you is Georgia. Hoping Lanning can build something similar in Oregon but no doubt it’ll take a long time and a lot of hard work.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

It appears we are still -17.5 pts dogs. That feels like a lot.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

UofDuck wrote:It appears we are still -17.5 pts dogs. That feels like a lot.
I'd put 50$ up that we could cover that.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Ducks will win!!!
John 3:36
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Duck07 wrote:
Yeah. If I was forced to pick a winner, I'd say Georgia. But I was pretty stunned to see the spread that high. Does anyone remember what the spread was for last year's tOSU game?
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Greenblood wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
Yeah. If I was forced to pick a winner, I'd say Georgia. But I was pretty stunned to see the spread that high. Does anyone remember what the spread was for last year's tOSU game?
According to this article, the Ducks opened as 11.5-point underdogs to Ohio State, then the line quickly moved to OSU -14.

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2021/0 ... state.html
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Thanks, gogreen. That opening line was much more like I was expecting for the Georgia game. I wonder if it will drop a bit as the game draws nearer.

All that said, I don't think I'd be "shocked" if the Ducks did lose by 17+. It's more that I wasn't expecting that from Vegas.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

UGA d will be much better than Ohio St, but their O won’t be close to as good. No way we lose by 17.5.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

buckmarkduck wrote:UGA d will be much better than Ohio St, but their O won’t be close to as good. No way we lose by 17.5.
Actually, I've read a couple articles that say it's the opposite. They expect the defense to take a step back because of losing Lanning and 7 (or 8, depending who you're reading) guys on defense.

The offense is supposed to be improved. They expect Stetson Bennett to be better. They lose their 2 best running backs, but have 2 talented guys stepping in to replace them. They lose the left side of their O-Line, but have a guy with a lot of experience stepping in at one of those slots.

I think everyone's just grasping for things to write about at this juncture. We'll find out when they line up on the field, right? :)
John 3:36
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

SuperDuck wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:UGA d will be much better than Ohio St, but their O won’t be close to as good. No way we lose by 17.5.
Actually, I've read a couple articles that say it's the opposite. They expect the defense to take a step back because of losing Lanning and 7 (or 8, depending who you're reading) guys on defense.

The offense is supposed to be improved. They expect Stetson Bennett to be better. They lose their 2 best running backs, but have 2 talented guys stepping in to replace them. They lose the left side of their O-Line, but have a guy with a lot of experience stepping in at one of those slots.

I think everyone's just grasping for things to write about at this juncture. We'll find out when they line up on the field, right? :)

There is zero chance Stinson (a walk on) is as good as CJ, or the UGA WR are as good as the group in Columbus last year.
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

I like Oregon's roster. Some of the commentary disrespects the RB room, but Cardwell and Irving are proven commodities, and the other guys are promising as well. I see it as a strength. The CB depth is thin, but the starters (Gonzalez and Manning, I assume) could be really good.

I am mostly worried about the quality of the staff. The DC is mostly known as a recruiter, and the OC has a pretty mediocre track record (FSU's offense was awful last year). I can't think offhand of a young HC beating a top five team on the road in his first game. Even Chip got humiliated his first time out.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

73duck wrote:I like Oregon's roster. Some of the commentary disrespects the RB room, but Cardwell and Irving are proven commodities, and the other guys are promising as well. I see it as a strength. The CB depth is thin, but the starters (Gonzalez and Manning, I assume) could be really good.

I am mostly worried about the quality of the staff. The DC is mostly known as a recruiter, and the OC has a pretty mediocre track record (FSU's offense was awful last year). I can't think offhand of a young HC beating a top five team on the road in his first game. Even Chip got humiliated his first time out.
There are definitely going to be some growing pains as the staff works together and the limitations/inexperience of certain coaches shows up. I do think fans will need to avoid jumping to many conclusions after this one opening game, similar to Chip's first time out at Boise State. I will say this is probably going to be the best time to face Georgia as they're breaking in a lot of new starters on defense and will have little film on Oregon's offense to prepare for.