Oregon lands RB transfer Cobbins

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Oregon lands RB transfer Cobbins

Post by greenyellow »

Looks like Oregon has gotten the commitment of RB transfer Brison Cobbins. He played at Missouri Western this past season and put up minimal stats. Big thing about him is he supposedly ran a 4.37 40 in HS. Still unknown if he's a walk-on type or a scholarship guy.
Phalanx
Senior

Re: Oregon lands RB transfer Cobbins

Post by Phalanx »

Duckswire was just saying the Ducks had only three scholarship RB's on the roster before Irving signed (they probably forgot Jordan James or considered him not on the roster yet). So that might be confirmation that Cobbins is a walk-on. It's going to be really interesting if we ever find out how many of these transfers are actually walk-ons, possibly drawn by potential NIL deals. I don't remember having this level of players walking on before.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Phalanx wrote:Duckswire was just saying the Ducks had only three scholarship RB's on the roster before Irving signed (they probably forgot Jordan James or considered him not on the roster yet). So that might be confirmation that Cobbins is a walk-on. It's going to be really interesting if we ever find out how many of these transfers are actually walk-ons, possibly drawn by potential NIL deals. I don't remember having this level of players walking on before.
The guys that are walking on are a guy that didn't see PT at Hawaii and a kid that saw 25 carries at Missouri Western. I don't think they are getting much in the way of NIL, just opting to walk-on at a higher quality program. They may be a shade better than walk-ons of the past, but definitely not guys that would get a scholarship offer ordinarily.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

droop10 wrote:
Phalanx wrote:Duckswire was just saying the Ducks had only three scholarship RB's on the roster before Irving signed (they probably forgot Jordan James or considered him not on the roster yet). So that might be confirmation that Cobbins is a walk-on. It's going to be really interesting if we ever find out how many of these transfers are actually walk-ons, possibly drawn by potential NIL deals. I don't remember having this level of players walking on before.
The guys that are walking on are a guy that didn't see PT at Hawaii and a kid that saw 25 carries at Missouri Western. I don't think they are getting much in the way of NIL, just opting to walk-on at a higher quality program. They may be a shade better than walk-ons of the past, but definitely not guys that would get a scholarship offer ordinarily.

The NIL is a work around now to get a kid school paid for without being on scholarship. It’s a brave new world. I’m just curious what the cap is on preferred walkons.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

buckmarkduck wrote:
droop10 wrote:

The NIL is a work around now to get a kid school paid for without being on scholarship. It’s a brave new world. I’m just curious what the cap is on preferred walkons.
85 scholarships and 110 on the roster is my understanding so 25 non-scholarship players.

preferred just means you don't have to try out for the team.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

droop10 wrote:
Several of the walk-ons this year, QB Marcus Sanders, RB Ellis Bynum, WR Cole Prusia, and Safeties Zachery Grisham and Cruz Rushing actually had three-star ratings from 247. Sanders turned down a scholarship from Western Oregon, and Bynum turned down Morehouse College. So along with Cobbins, that is three guys who turned down Division II scholarships to walk on at Oregon. Cole Prusia was a de-commit from Oregon State who also held offers from Idaho and Princeton. Also, Donovan Dalton, as you mentioned, was a scholarship player at Hawaii. Or were you talking about Kilohana Haasenritter? Both former 3-star scholarship players for Hawaii now walking on at Oregon.

It's not unprecedented for 3-star guys to walk on at Oregon (Charlie Pickard last year), but as a group, that seems like a pretty good crop of walk-ons. It's not Alabama, but it does seem like a step up from the norm. You might be right about the NIL deals not being available - that's what I wondered about. It's a fairly new phenomenon, so I'm not sure what is available to common players and walk-ons. Presumably, these guys are big at least in their own communities. I note that Haasenritter tweeted out this article about Oregon's NIL program a few weeks before he joined the Ducks:

https://goducks.com/news/2022/3/3/gener ... etics.aspx

Seems odd for someone to whom that program would not apply to tweet about while he was in the transfer portal, deciding which school to go to.
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

If you can pay walk-ons with NIL money, then the scholarship limit is meaningless. IIRC the current limits (circa 1990?) were enacted in an era when rich schools would put 100+ kids on scholarship. Many of these kids would never see the field, but there would still be a competitive advantage because they did not end up playing for rival schools. Oregon was a have-not school at the time, so the limits were a good thing. But Oregon's a rich school now and apparently can take Prusia from the Beavs and put him on the Oregon practice squad. In principle, I like the old scholarship limits, but appreciate that Lanning is smart enough to recognize and take advantage of loopholes.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

73duck wrote:If you can pay walk-ons with NIL money, then the scholarship limit is meaningless. IIRC the current limits (circa 1990?) were enacted in an era when rich schools would put 100+ kids on scholarship. Many of these kids would never see the field, but there would still be a competitive advantage because they did not end up playing for rival schools. Oregon was a have-not school at the time, so the limits were a good thing. But Oregon's a rich school now and apparently can take Prusia from the Beavs and put him on the Oregon practice squad. In principle, I like the old scholarship limits, but appreciate that Lanning is smart enough to recognize and take advantage of loopholes.
The article I read said he de-committed from OSU in favor of Princeton, then decided not to go that far from home, but scholarship opportunities in Corvallis and Idaho had dried up by then. I'm sure he could have pounded the pavement for a D2 offer or something (I bet coach Overlin at Western Oregon would love to have him) - but obviously Oregon is making its PWO offers attractive, so he did that instead.