Updated opinion on our future non-conference schedule

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Updated opinion on our future non-conference schedule

Post by DuckzRule »

I’ve noticed that out of the current Pac-12 teams, Oregon is currently the only one that doesn’t have a future home-and-home series with an SEC team (yes I know we will play Georgia in a few months but it’s a single kickoff game and after that, our P5 opponents are just Big 12 and Big Ten opponents), so that makes me wonder, are we having an extremely weak non-conference schedule?

I’m still angry that Alabama decided to schedule arguably the worst Pac-12 team instead of us in 2032-33, even tho we will supposedly play Ohio State during that period of time, but still, I feel we should be more diverse when it comes to future schedules, the most interesting series that we currently have scheduled is prolly the Baylor one, since it’s an opponent we have never played before, but I hope that the Alliance manages to change the scheduling format of the Pac-12 into an 8-game conference schedule so we can schedule more worthy teams than just Big 12 ones.

I also saw that the other Pacific Northwest teams also have very few SEC games scheduled, with UW not having any until they scheduled Tennessee a while ago, so, are PNW teams too bad at scheduling quality opponents?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: Updated opinion on our future non-conference schedule

Post by buckmarkduck »

What’s the upside of playing Bama? We play two pre season top 15 teams this year, and I don’t see any real upside to that. I’d much rather play Vandy, Illinois and Utah St. All wins, that get UO good and ready for conference play. I don’t like losing early.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

buckmarkduck wrote:What’s the upside of playing Bama? We play two pre season top 15 teams this year, and I don’t see any real upside to that. I’d much rather play Vandy, Illinois and Utah St. All wins, that get UO good and ready for conference play. I don’t like losing early.
I tend to agree. An early loss leaves zero room for error the rest of the season because no 2 loss team has made the playoff yet.

If they'd expand the playoffs then I'd be all for it. Let's see where we stand vs other national powers and have an opportunity to make a statement, but the risk of losing makes it not worth it. Sucks.
John 3:36
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

TBH, I think that our WORST currently confirmed P5 opponent is Texas Tech, the rest had formidable seasons last year.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

buckmarkduck wrote:What’s the upside of playing Bama? We play two pre season top 15 teams this year, and I don’t see any real upside to that. I’d much rather play Vandy, Illinois and Utah St. All wins, that get UO good and ready for conference play. I don’t like losing early.
After looking at it now, it's true...

I really wanted UO to schedule an SEC team because you know, it would be interesting, but yeah, those easy opponents could actually make us slide into the playoffs, in 2012, Oregon's non-conference slate only had G5 opponents and we NEARLY got into the natty (but we know what happened).

Next year (2023) could actually be pretty promising, since our non-conference schedule is soft and if Lanning goes the same way as Kirby Smart, we could potentially be in the playoffs.

(Smart actually got into the playoffs in just his second year)
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

DuckzRule wrote:
After looking at it now, it's true...

I really wanted UO to schedule an SEC team because you know, it would be interesting, but yeah, those easy opponents could actually make us slide into the playoffs, in 2012, Oregon's non-conference slate only had G5 opponents and we NEARLY got into the natty (but we know what happened).

Next year (2023) could actually be pretty promising, since our non-conference schedule is soft and if Lanning goes the same way as Kirby Smart, we could potentially be in the playoffs.

(Smart actually got into the playoffs in just his second year)

I used to be of the mindset that you schedule the toughest teams, see who’s better that day and what you need to do to get better. With the format of the CFB playoffs today it makes no sense to schedule a top rated team, take a loss and have that held against you the rest of the year, then be kept out if you take a conference lose.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

buckmarkduck wrote:What’s the upside of playing Bama? We play two pre season top 15 teams this year, and I don’t see any real upside to that. I’d much rather play "Vandy" Illinois and Utah St. All wins, that get UO good and ready for conference play. I don’t like losing early.
So in other words you would be fine if UO schedules the Kansas Jayhawks? Vandy and Kansas are the SEC and Big 12 equivalents of Arizona.

Wazzu scheduled them and I dunno if it is a good thing for the conference
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

I still feel weird over the fact that right now we are the only Pac-12 team without a home and home series with an SEC team
Juice
Four Star Recruit

Post by Juice »

Thats not our fault... we didn't back out of home and homes with a&m and UGA
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Don't know what's wrong with scheduling a cupcake, a minor threat and a hard game before the Conference games. Gives you at best a 3-0 record with some confidence heading into it or 2-1 and feeling ok about things. And worst case, if you're 0-3 time to say "hey, this ain't working!"
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

nogerO wrote:Don't know what's wrong with scheduling a cupcake, a minor threat and a hard game before the Conference games. Gives you at best a 3-0 record with some confidence heading into it or 2-1 and feeling ok about things. And worst case, if you're 0-3 time to say "hey, this ain't working!"
RN I have the feeling that people here would be fine if Oregon schedules a really bad team like Vanderbilt or Kansas.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

DuckzRule wrote:
nogerO wrote:Don't know what's wrong with scheduling a cupcake, a minor threat and a hard game before the Conference games. Gives you at best a 3-0 record with some confidence heading into it or 2-1 and feeling ok about things. And worst case, if you're 0-3 time to say "hey, this ain't working!"
RN I have the feeling that people here would be fine if Oregon schedules a really bad team like Vanderbilt or Kansas.

I’m fine with Tennessee, VT or S Carolina. Games we should win, that make people down south take notice.
duck55
Senior

Post by duck55 »

buckmarkduck wrote:
DuckzRule wrote:

I’m fine with Tennessee, VT or S Carolina. Games we should win, that make people down south take notice.
I would agree if these games are true home and away - not neutral on the other teams dorm lawn..
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

A home and home with vandy would be good for me. I’m about 25 minutes from Vandys football stadium. Watched the Ducks play vandy is baseball and basketball.