#3 Georgia vs #11 Oregon (Sept. 3, Sat 12:30 PM ABC)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: #3 Georgia vs #11 Oregon (Sept. 3, Sat 12:30 PM ABC)

Post by OregonFan4Life »

StevensTechU wrote:Ok, re-watchee, and the clear mismatch was Georgia's offense against our defense, and it was basically all execution and had little to do with athletic ability. Our linebackers were a massive liability when I expected them to be the strength of the defense, if not whole team. All the plays to the edges and underneath passes were just madness. Sewell, Funa, Flowe and LaDuke are all massive talents who just looked like they were not football players in this one. Can throw DJ, a guy who is as physically gifted as any player on either team, into that list of disappointments.

Our corners aren't good but weren't terrible. Same for the D line. Bennett Williams should play on Sundays but I don't know that we have another capable safety on the team right now. They were the other reason Georgia beat Oregon on the edges all game.

Offensively, weird. Our OL created running lanes and kept Bo Nix upright against the best front they'll see all year. Nix has a good arm and leg talent, just needs to not be an idiot. Our running backs are deep and I'm not surprised to see Cardwell 3rd on the depth chart. Lots of talent in the receiver room, too.

Overall, Georgia looked like a well oiled machine and Oregon looked disorganized. Georgia made tackles the first time and Oregon missed them all over. Georgia played assignment football and Oregon (on defense) was out of sorts. Hopefully this isn't indicative of the defensive coaching but we'll see how the season goes. Plenty to be optimistic about, including how crappy the rest of the conference apparently is.
Thanks for your analysis, I know I appreciate it a lot!

I too thought the LB’s would be the strength of this team. I was extremely critical of Ken Wilson last season and how the LB’s were garbage in pass coverage, so at this point could it simply be the LB’s are just bad at pass coverage and that can’t be fixed? Or could Tosh be an overrated LB coach which I’ve heard some say he might be? Guess we’ll find out as the season goes on. Just hope at some point our LB’s figure out that leaving the middle of the field wide open constantly isn’t the best idea.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:Ok, re-watchee, and the clear mismatch was Georgia's offense against our defense, and it was basically all execution and had little to do with athletic ability. Our linebackers were a massive liability when I expected them to be the strength of the defense, if not whole team. All the plays to the edges and underneath passes were just madness. Sewell, Funa, Flowe and LaDuke are all massive talents who just looked like they were not football players in this one. Can throw DJ, a guy who is as physically gifted as any player on either team, into that list of disappointments.

Our corners aren't good but weren't terrible. Same for the D line. Bennett Williams should play on Sundays but I don't know that we have another capable safety on the team right now. They were the other reason Georgia beat Oregon on the edges all game.

Offensively, weird. Our OL created running lanes and kept Bo Nix upright against the best front they'll see all year. Nix has a good arm and leg talent, just needs to not be an idiot. Our running backs are deep and I'm not surprised to see Cardwell 3rd on the depth chart. Lots of talent in the receiver room, too.

Overall, Georgia looked like a well oiled machine and Oregon looked disorganized. Georgia made tackles the first time and Oregon missed them all over. Georgia played assignment football and Oregon (on defense) was out of sorts. Hopefully this isn't indicative of the defensive coaching but we'll see how the season goes. Plenty to be optimistic about, including how crappy the rest of the conference apparently is.
Thanks for your analysis, I know I appreciate it a lot!
X2 great analysis, right in line with what Lanning had to say, thank you.. lots to look forward to if we keep in mind we have first year ever coaches at their positions, new offense and defense. I for one am excited to see the Ducks hit their stride.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

The Pac 12 being bad has never saved Oregon before. Oregon beat Ohio State last year and lost 3 times in a weak Pac 12. Oregon beat Michigan and lost like a bunch of Pac 12 games. Usually, things don't get easier once Pac 12 play starts. Georgia likely underestimated Oregon and still destroyed them the Pac 12 teams will be targeting Oregon.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

we were just a cream puff to Georgia. that is howgood they are.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

rockthief wrote:we were just a cream puff to Georgia. that is howgood they are.
I'll buy that if they beat Samford 80-0 but if Samford loses 42-13 or something like that then I'm going to be a little concerned.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Georgia made 0 mistakes all game long. Combine that with their insane talent and us making mistakes led to the scoreline.

Will Georgia have a game with 3 turnovers and win 34-17 against say South Carolina, sure. That doesn't make South Carolina better than us though
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

duck023 wrote:
I'll buy that if they beat Samford 80-0 but if Samford loses 42-13 or something like that then I'm going to be a little concerned.
You have that right. I am already concerned but the talent and skill levels between us and them are huge.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Georgia made 0 mistakes all game long. Combine that with their insane talent and us making mistakes led to the scoreline.

Will Georgia have a game with 3 turnovers and win 34-17 against say South Carolina, sure. That doesn't make South Carolina better than us though
That is what I'm getting at Kirby Smart said that he had way better players than the guys that Cristobal recruited. If they have a close game against South Carolina does that all of a sudden mean South Carolina did a better job recruiting than Cristobal did? I think Oregon has more talent than BYU, but I doubt BYU would get blown out that badly by Georgia.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

rockthief wrote:
duck023 wrote:
You have that right. I am already concerned but the talent and skill levels between us and them are huge.
I'm rooting for Geogia to just destroy everyone 80-7 so that Oregon's 49-3 game doesn't seem so bad but at the same time I think Georgia will come back down to earth. Not in the way that 2015 Utah did after destroying Oregon in Autzen but the games will be closer and many of those teams can't beat Oregon. So, I'm wondering if they were just scared or too hyped up or what?
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

I watched the 12 minute highlights and came to 2 determinations:

1- Georgia isn't as good as the score reflects.
2- Oregon isn't as bad as the score reflects.

-end
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

dd10snoop28 wrote:I watched the 12 minute highlights and came to 2 determinations:

-end
Sorry but, uhhh yes, Georgia is as good as the score reflects. Its one thing to be a homer, its entirely another to deny reality. :lol: :lol: :lol:
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

QuackininBama wrote:
dd10snoop28 wrote:I watched the 12 minute highlights and came to 2 determinations:

-end
Sorry but, uhhh yes, Georgia is as good as the score reflects. Its one thing to be a homer, its entirely another to deny reality. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Agreed, Georgia is legit the best opponent Oregon has ever faced from a talent perspective. They’ll probably win the Natty this year and go undefeated.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

Their pummeling of the Ducks was effortless.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

QuackininBama wrote:

-end
I think he means as bad / as good as 49-3.

I think a 41-17 score May end up being a more reflective score as the season goes on. (Maybe lol)

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

QuackininBama wrote:

-end
If we played 20 more times, we'd never get an outcome of 49-3. The score doesn't reflect the gap IMO. But, alas, I only watched 12 minutes of highlights so take it FWIW.