Kirby Smart took a shot at Cristobal

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duck023
Four Star Recruit

Kirby Smart took a shot at Cristobal

Post by duck023 »

Usually, the media likes to stir up stuff, but they didn't seem to notice this. Let's be real the recruiting numbers between Georgia and Oregon are not 49-3 gap in fact the recruiting rankings are actually closer than the preseason rankings. However, in the press conference Kirby Smart basically said Cristobal was an overrated recruiter because the players are basically D2 players compared to Georgia. He wasn't taking a shot as his old coach of course and he wasn't taking a shot at Chip Kelly. He was taking a shot at Cristobal's recruiting.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Re: Kirby Smart took a shot at Cristobal

Post by alxtw »

I think the issue is that CMC had a much harder task of recruiting top players to Oregon than Kirby did to Georgia. Georgia also can get any top player from around the country while Oregon, with CMC, had success getting top kids mostly on the west coast. The ratings might look close on paper, but keep that in mind.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Kirby is going too far to protect his old DC and in the process made himself look like a fool. Mario can recruit with the best of them.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Wonder why Georgia has such good recruits?

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/c ... 34630146_1
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I didn't hear Kirby bring up Mario's name at all and the preceding 35 seconds before he made the "we have better players comment" he was extremely supportive of Lanning.

This is all dumb stuff to continue to focus on.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Kirby was 100% trying to protect Lanning, and I doubt it even crossed his mind that it could be an insult to Cristobal.

As far as comparing recruiting classes goes, the gap between the top three or four classes and everyone else is enormous. Especially because it’s the same teams at the top every single year. The number three class is usually significantly better than the number six class. Like five 5*s versus one. Multiply that over four years and you’re looking at a team with twenty 5* versus a team with four.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

Agree. It's over and done. Time to move on. The team is trying to do so (hopefully) and the fan base should too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:Kirby was 100% trying to protect Lanning, and I doubt it even crossed his mind that it could be an insult to Cristobal.

As far as comparing recruiting classes goes, the gap between the top three or four classes and everyone else is enormous. Especially because it’s the same teams at the top every single year. The number three class is usually significantly better than the number six class. Like five 5*s versus one. Multiply that over four years and you’re looking at a team with twenty 5* versus a team with four.
Oregon has had 15 total 5* players in the past 20 years; UGA has 15 5* players currently on their roster. That is a massive talent difference and what happens when you have top 5 classes multiple years in a row.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

greenyellow wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:Kirby was 100% trying to protect Lanning, and I doubt it even crossed his mind that it could be an insult to Cristobal.

Oregon has had 15 total 5* players in the past 20 years; UGA has 15 5* players currently on their roster. That is a massive talent difference and what happens when you have top 5 classes multiple years in a row.

A few years ago I was listening to a round table talking about the samething.
How was bama etc always in the title picture. 4-5 years of top 3 recruiting.
They have 4-5 stars as backups to the backups. It doesnt just happen overnight.
Remember a lot of those Georgia players Lanning had a hand in recruiting. I think
he knows the formula for this. but now he has go take those players away from
the bamas of the world
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

It should have crossed his mind. Someone recruited those guys and he basically said they were D2 players. I didn't know the gap between 3rd and 8th was that big. That is a big problem for college football and should be discussed in another topic but that is a problem. For the record I though Cristobal was a great recruiter, but it sounds like even his efforts don't compare to SEC schools. The only thing that sort of balances out college football is the guys that Chip Kelly used to find. The really great 4-star recruits that nobody else noticed.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

It's sort of a leap to say Smart called Oregon a bunch of D2 players because he never said that. Everyone knows that Georgia's been recruiting on a whole other level compared to most teams and has better players. People are making a mountain out of a mole hill on this front.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Last year Michigan made the playoffs, and were down 33-3 with a minute left. I hoped our D could perform better, but I think by the end of the year we will see UGA destroy most everyone.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

greenyellow wrote:It's sort of a leap to say Smart called Oregon a bunch of D2 players because he never said that. Everyone knows that Georgia's been recruiting on a whole other level compared to most teams and has better players. People are making a mountain out of a mole hill on this front.
The thing is does Kirby mention this when they beat Kentucky or as someone else mentioned South Carolina. Neither of those schools have had the success recruiting as Cristobal has had yet Kirby really wanted to let it be known that Oregon had lesser caliber players.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

buckmarkduck wrote:Last year Michigan made the playoffs, and were down 33-3 with a minute left. I hoped our D could perform better, but I think by the end of the year we will see UGA destroy most everyone.
Yeah, they did beat up on a great Michigan team. However, I don't remember there being all this talk about the difference of players. I don't know it feels like Kirby and the media are trying to take more of a shot at Oregon then just them being blown out.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

buckmarkduck wrote:Last year Michigan made the playoffs, and were down 33-3 with a minute left. I hoped our D could perform better, but I think by the end of the year we will see UGA destroy most everyone.
That also happened a few years ago when Michigan State played Alabama, as well as when Notre Dame played Alabama. The talent difference is significant.
John 3:36