Mario article in The Athletic

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

lmduck

Mario article in The Athletic

Post by lmduck »

https://twitter.com/brucefeldmancfb/sta ... fij-0VqP7A

I don’t have a subscription but would be interesting to see what this says. Feldman is buddies with MC.

Several contacts with connections inside the AD have indicated that Mario’s flirtation with Miami started after the Ohio State game so his comments at various times during the season that he had no contact with Miami are apparently not true.

All water under the bridge now but if true that he started his convos with Miami early on it certainly renders him disingenuous at best. Also gives credence to what Ksyvon said on ESPN which was that the team fully expected that he would leave after the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GrantDuck
Senior

Re: Mario article in The Athletic

Post by GrantDuck »

I think there's far too much Mario slander on the interwebs.

His flaws have been well discussed, but he took the program from the Helfrich/Taggart dumpster fire and we won a Rose Bowl with him. He changed how we recruit at Oregon. I think those give him a pretty long leash in terms of the other stuff.
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

I'm tired of talking about Mario. He is gone. Let's talk about the future, not the past. We can't change the past and feeling bad about it or attacking Mario does no good.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

No one is attacking Mario. Unfortunately according to some well placed sources in there AD , it appears Mario did not handle has departure very professionally. No one is disputing his recruiting prowess or the fact he inherited a mess from WT and won some big games. Many on this board were highly critical of his coaching skills and that’s fair game too.

Agree that we need to look forward but as with all ex coaches there will always be comparisons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

Well since no one has any insight into the article what's the point? Like Willie, he got his dream job. Close to his mother, close to family. How can anyone really criticize him for making the move? Coaches, like players these days, have lots of options. I wish him only the best. And I'm thinking maybe we got the best out of the whole scenario.

Only time will tell for both UM and UO.

Go Ducks! Can't wait for September!!!
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

Correct: He is gone
Correct: He was a great recruiter
Correct: His in game coaching was questionable
Correct: His player development was questionable
Correct: He did not let his OC call his own game
Correct: He contacted Miami and checked out once he saw a path to Miami
Correct: He saved Oregon post Willie T and reduced the gap of mediocrity
TBD: Lanning will exceed what Mario did at Oregon from a recruiting perspective
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

I get that some people want to take the high road but don't try to stop other people from criticizing him. I'm done with him, but I won't be defending him either.