Ty Thompson

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

spacefrog13x
Three Star Recruit

Re: Ty Thompson

Post by spacefrog13x »

Guys like Thompson are where guys like Dillingham make their money. Thompson has the tools to be a good college qb, he just needs a coach who an get through to him/use and enhance his skillset. Its not an apples to apples comparison, but Chip Kelly helped flip that switch inside Dennis Dixon. It can be done.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

To everyone who wants to see Thompson as our starter... I've got some bad news for you.

It ain't happening unless Bo Nix gets injured.

In most of the infinate parallel universes, Cristobal benched AB at halftime of the Stanford game (or at halftime of a couple of other early/midseason outings when it became clear he wasn't a top-shelf QB) and turned the page to the Tye Thompson era. In that era, Thompson might have cost us a couple of wins, but he ended the season vastly improved and ready for a playoff run this year. Maybe Bo Nix comes to us through the portal anyway, but probably not, because there would be no logic in starting an older QB with a lower ceiling when both QBs have adequate in-game experience.

In OUR universe, though, MC inexplicably stuck with AB even though he was "meh" at best and TT barely got any meaningful minutes -- including a bowl game that served literally no purpose for Brown.

As a result, Bo Nix is our starter. He is significantly better than Thompson because Thompson hasn't been given a chance to develop. The gap between Nix and Thompson was painfully clear in the spring game.

Maybe Nix gets in there and stinks it up like AB did, and midway through the year this coaching staff has the stones to make a change -- but I doubt it. I think Nix will surprise a lot of Naysayers and feast upon generally weaker defenses than he regularly faced in the SEC. I also think coaching matters, and our new OC seems to really understand how to use Nix the right way.

Anyway, the writing looks to be on the wall. Thompson won't start this year, and next year he'll be competing against Dante More, who many analysts say is the top QB in next year's class. Nix will still be here, too. I just don't see a realistic development arc in which Thompson wins that competition. That ship sailed last season.

Thompson could transfer and get a lot more time to develop RIGHT NOW and be a far better QB in 2023 than he'd be if he stays here. That's what he needs. The timing just isn't right at Oregon.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Okie thanks. I should've been more clear that I was referring to Nix in the rest of my post but you guys got it :)

That's kind of unfortunate. Nix apparently can play at a championship level but he's not a championship caliber qb because he can't consistently play at a high level. He's already had 3 or 4 years at auburn and i doubt he changes but who knows.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

pezsez1 wrote:To everyone who wants to see Thompson as our starter... I've got some bad news for you.

In most of the infinate parallel universes, Cristobal benched AB at halftime of the Stanford game (or at halftime of a couple of other early/midseason outings when it became clear he wasn't a top-shelf QB) and turned the page to the Tye Thompson era. In that era, Thompson might have cost us a couple of wins, but he ended the season vastly improved and ready for a playoff run this year. Maybe Bo Nix comes to us through the portal anyway, but probably not, because there would be no logic in starting an older QB with a lower ceiling when both QBs have adequate in-game experience.

In OUR universe, though, MC inexplicably stuck with AB even though he was "meh" at best and TT barely got any meaningful minutes -- including a bowl game that served literally no purpose for Brown.

As a result, Bo Nix is our starter. He is significantly better than Thompson because Thompson hasn't been given a chance to develop. The gap between Nix and Thompson was painfully clear in the spring game.

Maybe Nix gets in there and stinks it up like AB did, and midway through the year this coaching staff has the stones to make a change -- but I doubt it. I think Nix will surprise a lot of Naysayers and feast upon generally weaker defenses than he regularly faced in the SEC. I also think coaching matters, and our new OC seems to really understand how to use Nix the right way.

Anyway, the writing looks to be on the wall. Thompson won't start this year, and next year he'll be competing against Dante More, who many analysts say is the top QB in next year's class. Nix will still be here, too. I just don't see a realistic development arc in which Thompson wins that competition. That ship sailed last season.

Thompson could transfer and get a lot more time to develop RIGHT NOW and be a far better QB in 2023 than he'd be if he stays here. That's what he needs. The timing just isn't right at Oregon.
Nix has said he's leaving after this year regardless of how the year goes. Of course, things are always subject to change, and maybe something crazy happens that convinces him to stick around, but I see 2 scenarios:
1) He plays great, and realizes there's nothing he can do to improve his stock, so he declares for the draft
2) He doesn't play well or gets injured, in which case Thompson gets his shot. Whether that works out or not depends on how much improvement Thompson shows.

So, given that, I don't think Nix is an issue next year. I think people are eager to jump into the same boat as they did with Thompson, where they assume the 5 star true freshman is ready to start right out of the gate, which is a dangerous assumption to make. This also assumes that if Thompson doesn't start this year, he doesn't have the ability to improve over the course of the season as a backup.
Worst case scenario is Butterfield, Thompson and Nix all leave after this year, and the Ducks are stuck with nobody to back up Moore. They can go to the portal, but obviously won't get a top tier QB, as this scenario entails Moore winning the job. So, I suppose that brings up an even worse scenario...Moore wins the job in fall camp, and then Thompson jumps ship, in which case they aren't able to get a backup anywhere, and they have to make it through the year hoping Moore doesn't go down and they are stuck using a walk-on.

Moore winning the job right out of the gate puts them in a really bad spot, unless Butterfield or Thompson suck it up and stay around through the end of the year (which could also be a possibility if the NCAA does create a specific window where kids can enter the portal). It's obviously great in the sense that they potentially have a star for 3 years at QB, but it also requires you to put all of your eggs in one basket and hope he's up for the task once he gets on the field and that he doesn't get injured.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Nix has said he's leaving after this year regardless of how the year goes.
I wasn't aware of that, and that does change the calculus slightly... but not much. I still don't see TT starting over DM (assuming it's a close battle) and risk driving away what's likely a superior talent. Maybe I see TT starting if he's somehow developed off the field enough to put in some real separation, but he doesn't seem to have developed much on the practice field and I don't see him getting significant in-game reps this season... hence my conclusion that this is really just bad timing for TT more than anything else.

Maybe I'm wrong and TT gets a season as the starter before DM takes over. But after last season, I definitely don't want to see potential logjammed behind experience when the experience isn't getting it done.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

pezsez1 wrote:
Nix has said he's leaving after this year regardless of how the year goes.
I wasn't aware of that, and that does change the calculus slightly... but not much. I still don't see TT starting over DM (assuming it's a close battle) and risk driving away what's likely a superior talent. Maybe I see TT starting if he's somehow developed off the field enough to put in some real separation, but he doesn't seem to have developed much on the practice field and I don't see him getting significant in-game reps this season... hence my conclusion that this is really just bad timing for TT more than anything else.

Maybe I'm wrong and TT gets a season as the starter before DM takes over. But after last season, I definitely don't want to see potential logjammed behind experience when the experience isn't getting it done.
How are we able to ascertain his development? We've barely seen the kid. He came in raw, didn't play much, and then we saw him in a glorified scrimmage playing in a new offense that he had been playing in for a couple of weeks. He's still only a redshirt freshman, and it seems like people think he is already a finished product. I am not arguing that Moore shouldn't start if they are about equal, though again I think that will put the Ducks in a really tough bind, but I am arguing that it's not a safe assumption that Moore is ready to go day 1. There are very few QBs that are ready to perform at a high level the first day they step on campus. There have been a couple exceptions, but they are just that, the exception not the rule. I'm as excited about getting Moore as everyone else, but I think it's premature to write off Thompson.
duck55
Senior

Post by duck55 »

droop10 wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:To everyone who wants to see Thompson as our starter... I've got some bad news for you.

Nix has said he's leaving after this year regardless of how the year goes. Of course, things are always subject to change, and maybe something crazy happens that convinces him to stick around, but I see 2 scenarios:
1) He plays great, and realizes there's nothing he can do to improve his stock, so he declares for the draft
2) He doesn't play well or gets injured, in which case Thompson gets his shot. Whether that works out or not depends on how much improvement Thompson shows.

So, given that, I don't think Nix is an issue next year. I think people are eager to jump into the same boat as they did with Thompson, where they assume the 5 star true freshman is ready to start right out of the gate, which is a dangerous assumption to make. This also assumes that if Thompson doesn't start this year, he doesn't have the ability to improve over the course of the season as a backup.
Worst case scenario is Butterfield, Thompson and Nix all leave after this year, Moore jumps to the portal or signs elsewhere and the Ducks are stuck with nobody . They can go to the portal, but obviously won't get a top tier QB, as this scenario entails Moore winning the job. So, I suppose that brings up an even worse scenario...Moore wins the job in fall camp, and then Thompson jumps ship, in which case they aren't able to get a backup anywhere, and they have to make it through the year hoping Moore doesn't go down and they are stuck using a walk-on.

Moore winning the job right out of the gate puts them in a really bad spot, unless Butterfield or Thompson suck it up and stay around through the end of the year (which could also be a possibility if the NCAA does create a specific window where kids can enter the portal). It's obviously great in the sense that they potentially have a star for 3 years at QB, but it also requires you to put all of your eggs in one basket and hope he's up for the task once he gets on the field and that he doesn't get injured.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Lots of indications out there that TT isn't developing, not just what we've seen with our own eyes. Last season, people connected with the team repeatedly went on background with reporters to say he wasn't progressing on schedule. The fact the coaches repeatedly stuck with AB (even in a completely meaningless bowl game) spoke volumes, as well. Thompson's lackluster spring game performance is simply validation of what was pretty obvious before. He didn't even look like the second-best QB out there. (That's not a knock on TT... but Nix was clearly better and Butterfield seems to have an edge with development. TT still looks raw.)

Sure, TT could start in 2023, but defiitely not this year and probably not ever -- unless someone else is injured.
Moore jumps to the portal or signs elsewhere and the Ducks are stuck with nobody
Not a concern in the era of transfer portals and NIL money. Oregon would be a prime target for a top-tier transfer if the QB room were empty.
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

No one wants to bring up JB?
After reading this thread you all have me depressed.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

pezsez1 wrote:Lots of indications out there that TT isn't developing, not just what we've seen with our own eyes. Last season, people connected with the team repeatedly went on background with reporters to say he wasn't progressing on schedule. The fact the coaches repeatedly stuck with AB (even in a completely meaningless bowl game) spoke volumes, as well. Thompson's lackluster spring game performance is simply validation of what was pretty obvious before. He didn't even look like the second-best QB out there. (That's not a knock on TT... but Nix was clearly better and Butterfield seems to have an edge with development. TT still looks raw.)

Sure, TT could start in 2023, but defiitely not this year and probably not ever -- unless someone else is injured.
Moore jumps to the portal or signs elsewhere and the Ducks are stuck with nobody
Not a concern in the era of transfer portals and NIL money. Oregon would be a prime target for a top-tier transfer if the QB room were empty.
Yeah, the reports were out there, but everyone has also complained that the previous staff didn't develop QBs well, so perhaps working with the new staff helps with his development? I think the bowl game thing had to do with rewarding Brown for sticking it out and McClendon caring about the win, and the old coaching staff didn't really care whether Thompson was getting time to develop at that point. Development isn't a priority for a staff that is leaving anyway. Brown probably still gave them the best chance to win versus the true freshman QB with near 0 game experience. Butterfield very well may be ahead of him, and that's not unreasonable given that he's a year older, and was a highly rated QB himself coming out of high school. I don't expect Thompson to start this year either, but wouldn't rule him out for 2023. I think '23 will be a battle between he and Butterfield. Moore will have a shot, and maybe he takes over mid-year, but don't see him starting day 1.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

One more factor is that our 2023 early season schedule is far softer than this year or last year. We open with Portland State, Texas Tech, and Hawaii. A true five-star talent behind a good line and with solid weapons should be able to handle those games.

Again, I really think this is just bad timing for TT. That Georgia game puts a lot of pressure on the coaches to lean on the known commodity (Nix) rather than the younger guy who might have more potential (TT). Same thing happened last season, and TT never really got off the bench because of it.

Next season will be tee'd up for an elite freshman to walk in and take over. If DM is who people increasingly think he is, then I do think that's what will happen.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

bellsduck wrote:No one wants to bring up JB?
After reading this thread you all have me depressed.
I think a couple of us implied he was 2nd maybe even first best in the Spring game. I think Nix is a virtual lock to be the season opener starter. But if he gets injured or stinks, JB may get a shot. I thought he made some really good throws and has above average arm talent.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

pezsez1 wrote:Lots of indications out there that TT isn't developing, not just what we've seen with our own eyes. Last season, people connected with the team repeatedly went on background with reporters to say he wasn't progressing on schedule. The fact the coaches repeatedly stuck with AB (even in a completely meaningless bowl game) spoke volumes, as well. Thompson's lackluster spring game performance is simply validation of what was pretty obvious before. He didn't even look like the second-best QB out there. (That's not a knock on TT... but Nix was clearly better and Butterfield seems to have an edge with development. TT still looks raw.)

I heard from multiple sources he was not a student of the playbook. Hopefully he has become more diligent.