Pac-12/Big 10/Big 12 Realignment

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: Pac-12/Big 10/Big 12 Realignment

Post by Duck07 »

squintsdd wrote:
DuckzRule wrote:According to ESPN, apparently the Big 12 won't add any Pac-12 schools, so it means the conference will probably stay the way it is after USC and UCLA move.

So if Oregon is indeed planning to leave the conference too, they're toast since I doubt they enter the Big Ten or SEC.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... cially-end
Be careful about how you interpret this. The report was that the Big 12 and Pac12 will not be merging, it said nothing about pac12 schools changing conferences. Pac12 might still get poached.
To get poached a Conference needs to offer a significant pay raise from TV rights - Big 12 can't offer that to the AZ, UC, UU group.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

greenyellow wrote:
lmduck wrote:
webfoots2001 wrote:
Quietduck wrote:Now the California governor wants to have the final say on UCLA's move. What kind of monkey wrench is this going to cause?
Probably opens the door for Stanford more than Oregon.
Why? Stanford is not part of the UC system and the govenor has no jurisdiction over them.
If UCLA can't go, the Big Ten could choose Stanford over Oregon so they add the Bay Area TV market.

I’d bet money there are just as many if not more people interested in watching UO over Stanford in the Bay Area. It’s like people still think it’s 1990 for TV. The only reason Stanford is in play, is due to the rivalry with ND. They don’t bring a ton of fans or eyes to the TV.
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

Do Stanford fans watch TV??
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Quietduck wrote:Do Stanford fans watch TV??
Probably not. When you're looking down your nose at such a physical endeavor it's hard to see the tv through the bifocals...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Duck07 wrote:
squintsdd wrote:
DuckzRule wrote:According to ESPN, apparently the Big 12 won't add any Pac-12 schools, so it means the conference will probably stay the way it is after USC and UCLA move.

So if Oregon is indeed planning to leave the conference too, they're toast since I doubt they enter the Big Ten or SEC.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... cially-end
Be careful about how you interpret this. The report was that the Big 12 and Pac12 will not be merging, it said nothing about pac12 schools changing conferences. Pac12 might still get poached.
To get poached a Conference needs to offer a significant pay raise from TV rights - Big 12 can't offer that to the AZ, UC, UU group.
If said colleges don't see the pac12 as having staying power they may choose to jump ship before the offer is off the table
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Pac-12/Big 10/Big 12 Realignment

Post by lmduck »

buckmarkduck wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
lmduck wrote:
webfoots2001 wrote:
Quietduck wrote:Now the California governor wants to have the final say on UCLA's move. What kind of monkey wrench is this going to cause?
Probably opens the door for Stanford more than Oregon.
Why? Stanford is not part of the UC system and the govenor has no jurisdiction over them.
If UCLA can't go, the Big Ten could choose Stanford over Oregon so they add the Bay Area TV market.

I’d bet money there are just as many if not more people interested in watching UO over Stanford in the Bay Area. It’s like people still think it’s 1990 for TV. The only reason Stanford is in play, is due to the rivalry with ND. They don’t bring a ton of fans or eyes to the TV.
100% correct. The interest in Stanford football in the bay area is neligble and even less for basketball. When Oregon comes to the Bay Area to
play at Cal and Stanford there are more Oregon fans in the stands than fans from either of those universities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

Canzano weighs in on the latest Big12/Pac12 stuff.

https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-d ... dium=email
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

lmduck wrote:Canzano weighs in on the latest Big12/Pac12 stuff.

https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-d ... dium=email
He makes some great points, the The PAC12-2 is considerably more TV attractive than the Big12-2.

Yeah Pac-12 after dark! We were just kidding about hating you.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Most of the "PAC has no value" articles are coming out from ESPN writers....when ESPN has sole negotiating rights to the PAC right now. It's all posturing and leveraging.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

So, if the Pac-12 decides NOT to expand and Oregon stays on it, would it mean the number of conference games gets reduced to 8 opening the doors for more P5 home and home series similar to what the ACC and SEC do?

I really want Oregon to finally schedule an SEC home and home.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

DuckzRule wrote:So, if the Pac-12 decides NOT to expand and Oregon stays on it, would it mean the number of conference games gets reduced to 8 opening the doors for more P5 home and home series similar to what the ACC and SEC do?

I really want Oregon to finally schedule an SEC home and home.
Conference games would stay at nine. It makes no sense to reduce it to 8 and not play just one team. Given everything, and assuming the B1G and SEC are off the board, I'd rather see Oregon join the big12. There really aren't any schools from the lower conferences that offer media coverage that will provide a large bump in revenue. Unless they can manage to poach a school from another major conference the Pac12 likely will be done in the near future.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

greenyellow wrote:
I'm actually surprised that the Big Ten finds some value in Oregon according to the sources that contacted Brett McMurphy, but I think that the conference won't add all the rumored teams unless they want to go the 1920's SoCon way.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

DuckzRule wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
I'm actually surprised that the Big Ten finds some value in Oregon according to the sources that contacted Brett McMurphy, but I think that the conference won't add all the rumored teams unless they want to go the 1920's SoCon way.
What is the 1920's SoCon way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk