Pac-12/Big 10/Big 12 Realignment

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Pac-12/Big 10/Big 12 Realignment

Post by UOducksTK1 »

It makes sense to add a couple more west coast teams so the LA schools aren’t flying across the country every other week.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

lmduck wrote:
DuckzRule wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
I'm actually surprised that the Big Ten finds some value in Oregon according to the sources that contacted Brett McMurphy, but I think that the conference won't add all the rumored teams unless they want to go the 1920's SoCon way.
What is the 1920's SoCon way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was a conference formed in 1921 that included 23 teams by 1929 but split into the SEC in 1932 and then the ACC in 1953. The SoCon is now just an FCS conference.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:It makes sense to add a couple more west coast teams so the LA schools aren’t flying across the country every other week.
I am no expert and have zero sources so this is only conjecture on my part, I think there is/was a very calculated reason the B10 commissioner said they are not done with expansion when he spoke yesterday. There was clearly some posturing IMO.

Notre Dame may be planning to stay as they currently are. Given that the B10 does want exposure/footprint beyond the LA market and they want to get it before the P12/Big12/ACC do I am
GUESSING they might make a move for UO, UW, Stanford and Cal. When will they do it, hard to say but the P12 negotiation window with ESPN supposedly closes next Friday, 8/4.

Just my ruminations. I am not usually speculative about stuff but the comments yesterday struck as very interesting.

Time will certainly tell.

buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

greenyellow wrote:
lmduck wrote:
DuckzRule wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
I'm actually surprised that the Big Ten finds some value in Oregon according to the sources that contacted Brett McMurphy, but I think that the conference won't add all the rumored teams unless they want to go the 1920's SoCon way.
What is the 1920's SoCon way?

It was a conference formed in 1921 that included 23 teams by 1929 but split into the SEC in 1932 and then the ACC in 1953. The SoCon is now just an FCS conference.

100 years later we now have the transportation to make any size conference.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

It's probably better if people follow Big Ten insider Greg Flugaur (https://twitter.com/flugempire) over Big 12 guy MHver3.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

greenyellow wrote: It's probably better if people follow Big Ten insider Greg Flugaur (https://twitter.com/flugempire) over Big 12 guy MHver3.
MHver3 has been tweeting stuff for two weeks now and claims to have sources. He also posted a couple of days ago that he had ‘ huge scoop’. Guess what ? He had nothing. He is a guy in West Virginia and multiple people have said he knows nothing.

Flugaur is reputable and does have sources.

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

buckmarkduck wrote:
100 years later we now have the transportation to make any size conference.
If my options as a fan are:
1. Watch the game at home alone or at a bar with friends (max cost $50), or
2. Travel at least 2 time zones away to sit in the corner of a stadium at an away game (~$800-1100)

I'm always choosing option 1 unless we are hunting for a national championship and had a killer team or it is the post season.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Haha. They will sign once they have a deal they want. So basically, the conference is dead, he will never put a deal in front of UO, Stanford or WU that anyone wants.

When this shakes out the Pac 10 will be WSU, OSU, Cal, BSU, CSU, SDSU, UNLV, Nevada, SMU and North Dakota.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Looks like it was the USC president who led the opposition to expansion last year and now they've led the LA schools out of the conference a year later.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Typical USC, what a dirty university with dirty leadership, why it’s always so fun to see the University of Spoiled Children lose.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Looks like the Big Ten may have deals with Fox, CBS, and NBC to carry games, potentially leaving ESPN without any games. That may help the Pac-12, ACC, and Big 12 as ESPN looks to keep as many games in the fold as possible.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

greenyellow wrote:Looks like the Big Ten may have deals with Fox, CBS, and NBC to carry games, potentially leaving ESPN without any games. That may help the Pac-12, ACC, and Big 12 as ESPN looks to keep as many games in the fold as possible.
Also I've heard the NBC part may mean something for Notre Dame.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

greenyellow wrote:Looks like the Big Ten may have deals with Fox, CBS, and NBC to carry games, potentially leaving ESPN without any games. That may help the Pac-12, ACC, and Big 12 as ESPN looks to keep as many games in the fold as possible.
This is huge for the Pac-12. ESPN has the most reason to have a full slate of games every week. CBS and NBC can get away with showing one or two games a week, but ESPN can't and maintain its image of being the worldwide leader in sports. If Kliavkoff can get a decent offer from Apple, Amazon, or some other streaming service, ESPN will have no choice but to go "all-in" on getting the Pac-12 rights. I'd LOVE to see ESPN overpay to keep the Pac. If they don't, would be looking at the Mountain West to fill out their schedule.