Pac-12/Big 10/Big 12 Realignment

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Phalanx
Senior

Re: Pac-12/Big 10/Big 12 Realignment

Post by Phalanx »

If the 4C schools were to bolt, then the B1G could get us for pennies on the dollar. THAT is what this is about.
I think this is a great observation, Pez.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Phalanx wrote:
If the 4C schools were to bolt, then the B1G could get us for pennies on the dollar. THAT is what this is about.
I think this is a great observation, Pez.

They will get us for far less than what USC got. That’s never been a debate. But its still going to be more than the pac 10 gets
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

Kliavkoff talked about letting playoff teams keep the bulk of the playoff payout instead of dividing it evenly amongst the PAC. If the choice is between an easier conference with local teams where we make more than anyone else, vs a harder conference with teams on the other side of the country where we get paid the least in the conference, the choice is easy for me….even if it means getting less overall.

BTW, anyone who hated November games in Pullman is not going to love November games in the B1G.
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

pezsez1 wrote:I don't have any reason to doubt McMurphy... what he says jives with everything else we've been hearing about the Pac-12 staying together being the most likely scenario. It doesn't really matter that Oregon is vetted, what matters is that the B1G (according to McMurphy) wouldn't invite us unless a 4C school bolts for the Big-12, which is extremely unlikely to happen.

I highly, highly doubt the B1G is withholding an invite over optics. (The B1G already stole both major LA schools and is responsible for this upheaval, and everyone knows it.) This is all about the $$$$. If the 4C schools were to bolt, then the B1G could get us for pennies on the dollar. THAT is what this is about. The only way we'd go to the B1G right now is at a massive discount so that other schools aren't subsidizing us. Otherwise, it's not in the B1G's interests to invite us right now, just like it's not really in the 4C schools' interests to sidestep to the Big-12 just for funsies. And it's not really in Oregon's interests to move to a significantly tougher conference while taking a massive discount and a huge hit to our brand. (King of the Pac-12 vs. Desperate Little Brother of the B1G).

I didn't need McMurphy to tell me any of that, though. Pretty sure any of us could have easily deduced that scenario over a couple of beers.

The most notable thing in that interview, to me, was the tidbit about Amazon allegedly not being a serious streaming partner in terms of taking a lot of games. That would leave most of the distribution to ESPN and/or Apple TV. But I'm really not sure how seriously to take any of that because reporting about negotiations has been all over the map.
Eh, the thing is, Oregon and Washington have all the leverage (over the new sans-LA Pac-12). They just have to keep refusing to sign a Pac-12 TV deal until one of the 4C schools blinks and bolts to the Big 12. Without UO/UW, the Big 12s deal will be better by miles (by some accounts, its already better with UO/UW included).

If we start hearing that UO / UW are willing to sign a Pac-12 TV deal, that changes things. But so far all the optimistic Pac-12 rumors and on record comments have come from the chicken little schools. UO and UW have been very tight lipped.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:Kliavkoff talked about letting playoff teams keep the bulk of the playoff payout instead of dividing it evenly amongst the PAC. If the choice is between an easier conference with local teams where we make more than anyone else, vs a harder conference with teams on the other side of the country where we get paid the least in the conference, the choice is easy for me….even if it means getting less overall.

BTW, anyone who hated November games in Pullman is not going to love November games in the B1G.

It would only be less for 4 years, then be full pay
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

If we start hearing that UO / UW are willing to sign a Pac-12 TV deal, that changes things. But so far all the optimistic Pac-12 rumors and on record comments have come from the chicken little schools. UO and UW have been very tight lipped.
The comments have also come from the four-corner school ADs. That's very meaningful. If those schools remain unified then the Pac-12 survives at least through the next media cycle. And those 4C schools really have no financial incentive to go to the Big-12 unless the Pac-12 media deal is absolutely terrible -- and if that were the belief from those actually involved with negotiations, then certainly at least one of those 4C schools would have bolted already.

The more likely scenario is that negotiations are going as planned and the Pac-12 will remain intact with a deal comparable to the Big-12 and ACC. The B1G may be hoping to get us on the cheap, but taking a massive haircut in exchange for a nearly impossible road to the playoffs would not be in Oregon's best interests.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

pezsez1 wrote:
The comments have also come from the four-corner school ADs. That's very meaningful. If those schools remain unified then the Pac-12 survives at least through the next media cycle. And those 4C schools really have no financial incentive to go to the Big-12 unless the Pac-12 media deal is absolutely terrible -- and if that were the belief from those actually involved with negotiations, then certainly at least one of those 4C schools would have bolted already.

The more likely scenario is that negotiations are going as planned and the Pac-12 will remain intact with a deal comparable to the Big-12 and ACC. The B1G may be hoping to get us on the cheap, but taking a massive haircut in exchange for a nearly impossible road to the playoffs would not be in Oregon's best interests.

Bro. Your sources are the pac 12 version of the big 12 media guys you constantly slam.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Bro. Your sources are the pac 12 version of the big 12 media guys you constantly slam.

Brah. My sources on this are literally the actual 4C school ADs making statements. You've seen them.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Rob's son is about to go to Michigan to play baseball. Hrm. :geek:
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Duck07 wrote:
Rob's son is about to go to Michigan to play baseball. Hrm. :geek:
If he had any inclination UO was going to the BIG…why not play at UO, knowing you’d be in that conference anyway?
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

He'll get a pretty good quality undergrad education at Michigan, in addition to playing baseball.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

alxtw wrote:He'll get a pretty good quality undergrad education at Michigan, in addition to playing baseball.
And he'll almost certainly want to tell everyone he knows how good his degree is, because he wouldn't be a Michigan Man if he didn't.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

StevensTechU wrote:
alxtw wrote:He'll get a pretty good quality undergrad education at Michigan, in addition to playing baseball.
And he'll almost certainly want to tell everyone he knows how good his degree is, because he wouldn't be a Michigan Man if he didn't.
I only know one Michigan grad (my wife’s close friend’s husband) and I don’t see him often but when I do he quickly informs me that he’s a Michigan grad. I thought that was just him, but apparently not.