Pac-12/Big 10/Big 12 Realignment

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Everythingsducky
Senior

Re: Pac-12/Big 10/Big 12 Realignment

Post by Everythingsducky »

Still not sure I want UO to leave the PAC12. They could end up like Clemson, own the conference, and go to the playoff every year. If Kliavakoff (sp?) can at least get near the financial return with less travel? Would suck if UO goes, and is a middling conference foe in all sports, and takes the school back 30 years. Total gamble.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I say go all-in on streaming if the money is there. I'd cut cable in a heartbeat. I love watching the Blazers on cable, but there isn't much of a reason to keep watching them until they trade either Dame or Ant.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Would rather be LSU than Boise State.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Feels like capitulation to join the Big 10 at this point, but I get the financial incentive. It will be a sad day for this Pac 10 fan when it happens.

I guess on the bright side, if USC thought they would get Oregon out of L.A. recruiting by making the switch, they probably just made it worse. :lol:
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:^^I might be misinterpreting, but I think you're looking primarily at football, yes?

I'm thinking a lot about the Olympic sports and basketball. For the sports with more than 12 games, it's going to be a lot of miles.
Ahhh...yes, I was only thinking of football. You're absolutely right about the other sports. That kind of makes me wonder exactly what the numbers are? Will it be worth the increase in revenue if much or most is spent on travel expenses? Would the UO consider dropping some sports? I'm just speculating, of course, but it does raise a few questions.

I also wonder if a UO/UW move would result in the Pac-12 disolving? It seems like the Big-12 would want to absorb UA, ASU, Colorado and Utah. That only leaves Cal, Stanford, OSU and WSU.

Personally, I think it would be a shame for those last 4 teams to be excluded. I understand that they don't bring as much to the table as the other schools do, but having the Mountain West as the primary option just doesn't seem fair, especially for a school like Stanford.
John 3:36
bdkipe
Two Star Recruit

Post by bdkipe »

It'll be hilarious to watch and listen to USC fans whine and take passive aggressive shots at us IF the B1G does eventually bring us on board.

In reading and listening to several beat writers who cover SC, one of the benefits the Trojans wanted from joining the B1G is that they wouldn't have to recruit against the Ducks in the same conference footprint. They could just roll out the "we play in the B1G and think about all the national exposure you'll be getting vs the little old P10/P12 we left behind" pitch to elite West Coast athletes.

SC fans suffer from serious myopia.

My best friend is in film production and VC down in SoCal and has season tickets to "the Coli" as they arrogantly call it. He is one of the most emotionally mature, level-headed people I know and gives wise counsel whenever you ask him his opinion on anything EXCEPT...the Trojans

He's not the only Trojan friend I have either. According to them, EVERY kid, EVERYWHERE dreams of growing up and playing for the Trojans and if the kid goes anywhere else other than USC, 'Bama or Ohio State, they were paid under the table (until NIL came along) and "we didn't want him anyway".
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

SuperDuck wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:^^I might be misinterpreting, but I think you're looking primarily at football, yes?

I'm thinking a lot about the Olympic sports and basketball. For the sports with more than 12 games, it's going to be a lot of miles.
Ahhh...yes, I was only thinking of football. You're absolutely right about the other sports. That kind of makes me wonder exactly what the numbers are? Will it be worth the increase in revenue if much or most is spent on travel expenses? Would the UO consider dropping some sports? I'm just speculating, of course, but it does raise a few questions.

I also wonder if a UO/UW move would result in the Pac-12 disolving? It seems like the Big-12 would want to absorb UA, ASU, Colorado and Utah. That only leaves Cal, Stanford, OSU and WSU.

Personally, I think it would be a shame for those last 4 teams to be excluded. I understand that they don't bring as much to the table as the other schools do, but having the Mountain West as the primary option just doesn't seem fair, especially for a school like Stanford.
I think Stanford would just go Independent and largely play a regional schedule.

Cal, OSU and WSU literally bring nothing to a major Conference and only reduce the financial resources for the members, which is the entire reason for making the move - its stupid money.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

bdkipe wrote:It'll be hilarious to watch and listen to USC fans whine and take passive aggressive shots at us IF the B1G does eventually bring us on board.

In reading and listening to several beat writers who cover SC, one of the benefits the Trojans wanted from joining the B1G is that they wouldn't have to recruit against the Ducks in the same conference footprint. They could just roll out the "we play in the B1G and think about all the national exposure you'll be getting vs the little old P10/P12 we left behind" pitch to elite West Coast athletes.

SC fans suffer from serious myopia.

My best friend is in film production and VC down in SoCal and has season tickets to "the Coli" as they arrogantly call it. He is one of the most emotionally mature, level-headed people I know and gives wise counsel whenever you ask him his opinion on anything EXCEPT...the Trojans

He's not the only Trojan friend I have either. According to them, EVERY kid, EVERYWHERE dreams of growing up and playing for the Trojans and if the kid goes anywhere else other than USC, 'Bama or Ohio State, they were paid under the table (until NIL came along) and "we didn't want him anyway".
I seriously don't understand why the USC fanbase hates us instead of UCLA.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

DuckzRule wrote: I seriously don't understand why the USC fanbase hates us instead of UCLA.
It's pretty obvious to me at least. Even when they had Pete Carroll, we were the one team in the conference on the rise and fighting them for recruits and winning our share of battles. Sure, we finished 2nd more times than I care to count in recruiting battles, but the damage was done in establishing Oregon as a program. We've also given them some of their worst defeats of all-time such as Kenjon rushing for 321 and 5 TDS in the Coliseum in a 62 point win.

Even the year they won it all with Pete they were the beneficiary of some questionable calls that either over-turned Oregon TDs or gave USC TDs. We've been the "fun" program for a long time and Lincoln is certainly bringing that fun back to LA, but we're not going anywhere and now we've got the benefit of all the kids today knowing Oregon is a good football school. Some of the advantages they used to enjoy are long gone and they see us for the threat that we are.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Duck07 wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:

I think Stanford would just go Independent and largely play a regional schedule.

Cal, OSU and WSU literally bring nothing to a major Conference and only reduce the financial resources for the members, which is the entire reason for making the move - its stupid money.
Actually, OSU is a traditional power in baseball but I'm not sure how much revenue that's responsible for bringing in.
John 3:36
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

SuperDuck wrote: Actually, OSU is a traditional power in baseball but I'm not sure how much revenue that's responsible for bringing in.
Sure, Mike Parker and Beaver Baseball is one of the top rated college baseball/spring sports streams in the nation but that doesn't draw spit. Women's Basketball is a far more impactful product than baseball is revenue wise.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Duck07 wrote:
SuperDuck wrote: Actually, OSU is a traditional power in baseball but I'm not sure how much revenue that's responsible for bringing in.
Sure, Mike Parker and Beaver Baseball is one of the top rated college baseball/spring sports streams in the nation but that doesn't draw spit. Women's Basketball is a far more impactful product than baseball is revenue wise.
You wouldn't happen to have data on this, would you? I would wager that you're right - WBB brings in more revenue through ticket sales and TV deals than college baseball - but I've never looked it up to see if I can find anything to verify.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

StevensTechU wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
You wouldn't happen to have data on this, would you? I would wager that you're right - WBB brings in more revenue through ticket sales and TV deals than college baseball - but I've never looked it up to see if I can find anything to verify.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradadgate ... f296536131
https://justwomenssports.com/womens-col ... iewership/

Most of it comes from reading various articles over the years regarding TV viewership but the recent trend, especially with NIL now, is how an athletes social media following effects everything. WBB is becoming far more popular as the 3rd sport behind FB and MBB.

The WNBA is becoming as watched on ESPN as MLS and the contracts they give to the WNBA and MLS in regards to viewership is out of whack, essentially the numbers show that the WNBA on a fair TV deal would make the league operate in the black AND increase player pay. One of the changes at large has also been to start slotting more Women's sports games on an equal footing time-wise vs the Mens. I think Softball this last season was an example of that too where I want to say there were games they gave a preference to the Women over the Men.

As for the Beavers Baseball, Learfield IMG is constantly tweeting out in the Spring their top shows and OSU is always Top 3 and typically #1.

Wanted to throw this Nike/NIL article in here as they signed 2 MBB players and 3 WBB players.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nba/b ... -with-nike
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

Going back to the rumors, it seems that most people are reacting in a mixed way since they say Rick Neuheisel is not a very reliable person and that other analysts like Brett McMurphy haven't mentioned the things the former said (that us and Washington to the B1G is all but done), I wish I could ask a more well-known analyst like Brett if those rumors are true but I'm a nobody so...
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

So for me, I watch 13 Duck football games a year but watch at least parts of over 100 other UO games a year. All Basketball both men and women, Volleyball, about 10 Softball games and a couple of baseball games and some soccer. Outside of football, Stanford is the overall power bringing National Championship contention in several of these sports. The Pac-12 as a conference is a huge power in every one of them. In my viewing world the end of the PAC-12 could be very bad for the programs I spend the most time watching so for selfish reasons I will really miss it if the travel obstacles damage these programs.