Pac-12/Big 10/Big 12 Realignment

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: Pac-12/Big 10/Big 12 Realignment

Post by greenyellow »

pezsez1 wrote:I'd also like to throw in that I'd LOVE for the Pac-12 to go all-in with a streaming partner like Amazon Prime. Anything to hasten the end of cable deals as they are today would be fantastic.

The Thursday night NFL games have been doing great on Amazon Prime and it's a stunningly beautiful broadcast product.
I think we'll still see an ESPN/Fox deal with Amazon/Apple getting what would normally be carried via the Pac-12 Network.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

I have made a ranking for all the matchups I want to see in case we join the Big Ten alongside Washington (I excluded USC and UCLA from here cuz they're also from the Pac), in order of how much I want them.

1. Ohio State

2. Penn State

3. Michigan

4. Indiana (cuz they still owe us a game in Bloomington)

5. Michigan State

6. Minnesota

7. Iowa

8. Maryland

9. Illinois

10. Purdue

11. Wisconsin

12. Northwestern

13. Nebraska

14. Rutgers
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

So the Big 12 updated its TV deal today. Now its on Kliavakoff to be able to come up with a higher number with a TV AND streaming partner as one of the problems with Larry Scott negotiating first was that he got a lower number that everyone else used as a baseline.

I think its imperative to add San Diego State for all sports. I know there is small chatter about UCLA remaining but whether that actually happens or not, another move should be made as well as going after Gonzaga for M/W Basketball. Boise, Fresno, etc do nothing in this regard.

We're lacking as a league in Football but we're still pretty damn good at M/W Basketball and the impact of Women's Sports is growing and its an area we should look to emphasize when it comes to finding new fans and adding viewers.
bdkipe
Two Star Recruit

Post by bdkipe »

I would hope Amazon looks at acquiring the entire P12 Network. It is a drop in the bucket for them and the TV Production infrastructure is already in place and ready to go. They could move the studios to the MGM offices, or to Vegas, or to Seattle, etc.

They have acquired a movie studio (the aforementioned MGM), they own Whole Foods why not a streaming sports network?

In that business "you are growing or you're dying" so it would seem to be a no brainer (imagine watching a P12 college football game and seeing a branded item you want to buy and being instantly able to one-touch buy it through your Firestick or Alexa).

Everyone I know has Prime, and while I am definitely not an Amazon schill (I prefer the old-school method of going to the store and I support local business) I subscribe for the Prime Video and Prime Music.

I would also think, since the P12 Network subsidizes Public Universities, that the accountants at Amazon could figure out a way to have this as a write-off.

That's just my own opinion though and even I think I am usually an idiot.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

greenyellow wrote:
At this rate I'm not even sure if Oregon will stay in the conference, even tho that's the best option if a natty is the only thing we want.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Unless the Big Ten expands again soon, I think Oregon will be staying in the Pac-12 for at least 5 years after the new contract starts in 2024.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

greenyellow wrote:Unless the Big Ten expands again soon, I think Oregon will be staying in the Pac-12 for at least 5 years after the new contract starts in 2024.
Personally I think its going to be hilarious when in a decade USC wants back when the $ becomes moot.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

Duck07 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Unless the Big Ten expands again soon, I think Oregon will be staying in the Pac-12 for at least 5 years after the new contract starts in 2024.
Personally I think its going to be hilarious when in a decade USC wants back when the $ becomes moot.
I’m with you. If it even takes a decade.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

wlduck wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
I’m with you. If it even takes a decade.
Give ‘em the double finger salute when they do!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

The latest rumors is that the Pac-12 will be marginally above what the Big 12 is getting, topping at $35M/school/year. The Big Ten deal will pay out $60-$100M over its life. SEC deal is in the same area as the B1G deal, leaving Oregon in what is truly a second class financially. That's $50M more for coaches, recruiting, and anything else. Just an absolutely massive gap.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

StevensTechU wrote:The latest rumors is that the Pac-12 will be marginally above what the Big 12 is getting, topping at $35M/school/year. The Big Ten deal will pay out $60-$100M over its life. SEC deal is in the same area as the B1G deal, leaving Oregon in what is truly a second class financially. That's $50M more for coaches, recruiting, and anything else. Just an absolutely massive gap.

With Oregon's penchant for going after the money and staying relevant nationally
if its 35m/school/year I see them jumping to the B1G. Just a hunch i guess.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

duckfan22 wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:The latest rumors is that the Pac-12 will be marginally above what the Big 12 is getting, topping at $35M/school/year. The Big Ten deal will pay out $60-$100M over its life. SEC deal is in the same area as the B1G deal, leaving Oregon in what is truly a second class financially. That's $50M more for coaches, recruiting, and anything else. Just an absolutely massive gap.

With Oregon's penchant for going after the money and staying relevant nationally
I don’t think it’s up to Oregon, I think it’s up to the B1G.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
duckfan22 wrote:

yeah i should have stated if offered by the B1G my bad
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

duckfan22 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
duckfan22 wrote:

yeah i should have stated if offered by the B1G my bad
If the new playoff revenue is not shared equally that could be a big incentive for schools that take football seriously to stay.