Sling or fubo or other?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

chapelhillduck
Senior

Sling or fubo or other?

Post by chapelhillduck »

OK, went fubo last year and it worked pretty well…but how are people streaming this season?
Duck07
All-American

Re: Sling or fubo or other?

Post by Duck07 »

For 10$/mon the Hulu/ESPN+/Disney+ package is a good value and I'm able to access Fox and NBC through another family member who hasn't cut the cord yet.

Anything I can't get through one of those clean options I just use a bootleg site and stream cast to the big TV or use another laptop. This ends up being my primary option for most NFL games as well as any PPV fights.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

I cut the cord in 2012 and went to Sling. I have been very happy with that move. I have been able to get every Oregon football & basketball game since I made the move either through Sling or an HD antenna.

My bill is 1/2 what it used to be and in the summer when there are no sports (i don't watch MLB) and I am doing family stuff, I just log into my Sling account and pause it for 3 months, so I am not paying in June, July and August.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Duck07 wrote:For 10$/mon the Hulu/ESPN+/Disney+ package is a good value and I'm able to access Fox and NBC through another family member who hasn't cut the cord yet.

Anything I can't get through one of those clean options I just use a bootleg site and stream cast to the big TV or use another laptop. This ends up being my primary option for most NFL games as well as any PPV fights.
This is what I have and I feel like every game that's worth a damn is blocked on ESPN+. I end up bootlegging most games. You had better luck?
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

^ What / why are things blocked on ESPN+?

Our Disney + account ends in November (had a 3 year membership) so we were gonna do the bundle but I didn't know that ESPN+ had things blocked.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

lukeyrid13 wrote:^ What / why are things blocked on ESPN+?

Our Disney + account ends in November (had a 3 year membership) so we were gonna do the bundle but I didn't know that ESPN+ had things blocked.
No ESPN or ESPN2, unless you want to watch in Spanish. (If that's not the case for other folks, please let me know)
lukeyrid13
All-American

Post by lukeyrid13 »

StevensTechU wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:^ What / why are things blocked on ESPN+?

No ESPN or ESPN2, unless you want to watch in Spanish. (If that's not the case for other folks, please let me know)
I assume no ESPNU or News as well then?
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

StevensTechU wrote:
Duck07 wrote:For 10$/mon the Hulu/ESPN+/Disney+ package is a good value and I'm able to access Fox and NBC through another family member who hasn't cut the cord yet.

This is what I have and I feel like every game that's worth a damn is blocked on ESPN+. I end up bootlegging most games. You had better luck?
I just go to the Watch section of ESPN and it pulls up the different games/channels. Where I've noticed issues is when a game runs long and they show it on another channel like ESPN News for the first 8 minutes.

EDIT - So just double-checked and when I click on the ESPN or ESPN2 channel through the Watch page it does redirect me to the Spectrum log-in and not through my ESPN+ which is likely why I don't have those issues.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

I suppose it might also be worth mentioning that DirecTV now has a streaming service. Looks like it's more like YouTube TV than any other streaming service in that it has the major network/local channels along with the ESPN channels, but does NOT have P12N. Seems to have a 5-day trial so that one could presumably time it to watch the Georgia game and then decide whether to keep it. That's what I plan on doing (the free trial only) since I have Sling, which doesn't have ABC.
lukeyrid13
All-American

Post by lukeyrid13 »

^ High powered antenna should get you ABC pretty much anywhere. You can buy 50-100 mile ones on Amazon.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

I use Fubo, just because you can get all the local stations, all the Blazers games and the Pac-12 Network through them. Fubo is the only streaming service that covers all of these things (last I looked at least), without having to resort to antennas and all that. They pretty much have every possible angle covered from a sports perspective, with 1 exception......they don't offer any of the Turner family of channels. That means no TNT, TBS, TruTV, CNN, etc. The vast majority of time this isn't an issue (for me at least), but I did have to find another way to view a few NBA playoff games that were on TNT.

After all local network fees, upgrading to Fubo Extra (1000 hour cloud DVR, unlimited screens, etc.) and everything else, the bottom line is my bill is $83.98 per month. Not the cheapest option out there, but still close to half of what my cable bill eventually ballooned to.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

And if having no-fuss cloud dvr recording capability is essential like it is for me, I think that would rule out the antenna business.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

For those willing to put up with a little frustration, sportsurge.net is my go-to for bootlegging games. Doesn't host the streams directly, but gives you a bunch of options for places that do. You'll learn that some are better than others.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

I use the DofuSports app. If there's a YouTube option you can select that, then go to you YouTube app on your TV and look in the history and watch the game from there. Sometimes the stream cuts out, but usually picks up a few seconds later
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

gogreen55 wrote:I use Fubo, just because you can get all the local stations, all the Blazers games and the Pac-12 Network through them. Fubo is the only streaming service that covers all of these things (last I looked at least), without having to resort to antennas and all that. They pretty much have every possible angle covered from a sports perspective, with 1 exception......they don't offer any of the Turner family of channels. That means no TNT, TBS, TruTV, CNN, etc. The vast majority of time this isn't an issue (for me at least), but I did have to find another way to view a few NBA playoff games that were on TNT.

After all local network fees, upgrading to Fubo Extra (1000 hour cloud DVR, unlimited screens, etc.) and everything else, the bottom line is my bill is $83.98 per month. Not the cheapest option out there, but still close to half of what my cable bill eventually ballooned to.
I did a trial on FUBO and liked it, but with the bundling of my hs internet and TV on Xfinity it was about the same price as FUBO with stand alone internet, so I ended up keeping xfinity for familiarity and a few more channels we watch. (boo)