#12 BYU @ #25 Oregon (Sept. 17, Sat 12:30 PM Fox)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: #12 BYU @ #25 Oregon (Sept. 17, Sat 12:30 PM Fox)

Post by buckmarkduck »

Duck07 wrote:Apparently there was a 'F the Mormons' chant coming from the Student section and now the Cougars are all offended (because Duke VB claimed someone yelled a racial slur a few weeks back).

I don’t condone it. But it was a handful of idiot students, not the entire UO fan base. Find out who they are, and ban them from sporting events at UO and move on. That’s more than SC did to their students, who chanted the same thing last year.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

lmduck wrote:The video is out there. It's not pretty. It is a bit of a double standard though after what they did at the volleyball match.
Well, BYU did an "investigation" and says Duke is lying about it so there's that.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

buckmarkduck wrote:
Duck07 wrote:Apparently there was a 'F the Mormons' chant coming from the Student section and now the Cougars are all offended (because Duke VB claimed someone yelled a racial slur a few weeks back).

I don’t condone it. But it was a handful of idiot students, not the entire UO fan base. Find out who they are, and ban them from sporting events at UO and move on. That’s more than SC did to their students, who chanted the same thing last year.
That was my thought also, a few students on camera, ID them, ban them from all sporting events at Oregon for a year, have them apologize on camera and move on.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

On the brighter sid I haven’t enjoyed or had this much excitement watching a Duck game since the Days of Chip! Ducks are back! I hope we can hold on to our coordinators and Lanning for a few years.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

Alan wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:

That was my thought also, a few students on camera, ID them, ban them from all sporting events at Oregon for a year, have them apologize on camera and move on.
Agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Duck07 wrote:
lmduck wrote:The video is out there. It's not pretty. It is a bit of a double standard though after what they did at the volleyball match.
Well, BYU did an "investigation" and says Duke is lying about it so there's that.
It wasn't just them though. While officially just BYU did an investigation, reporters for the Deseret News, Salt Lake Tribune, campus newspaper and a few Utah TV stations have reviewed the video of the entire volleyball match and couldn't hear any of the slurs that were supposedly happening whenever the alleged victim was serving. The guy that was pointed out as going after her was seen typing on his cell phone, not actually talking or yelling, a couple times when slurs were being said. I don't think you interview over 50 people (including some who work at Duke or are Duke fans) and they all said they heard nothing. It's entirely possible she misheard a word as a racial slur. BYU has its issues but the investigation was likely not one of them.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

It’s sadly become a tradition for the student section to yell the f word followed by whatever city the opponent is from, not surprised they took it to this level. The student section today is absolutely pathetic, the loudest they are all game is when they’re doing that stupid chant. Unfortunately the only way to get rid of it is to get rid of the student section all together and just have more seating available to the public. Most of those students aren’t from around Eugene and certainly know next to nothing about duck football, they do not represent the city nor the fan base.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

It’s the way they do the ticket. I’ve been a big proponent of going back to first come first serve student tickets. Get students to the game who are actually fans and willing to wait in line for a ticket
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Students always have and always will chants stupid things. They were likely drunk and just trying to say the most insulting thing they could think of. I highly doubt any of them are actual bigots.

They should publicly reprimanded them (which they basically already did) so they know they’re idiots, and everyone can move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

OregonFan4Life wrote:It’s sadly become a tradition for the student section to yell the f word followed by whatever city the opponent is from, not surprised they took it to this level. The student section today is absolutely pathetic, the loudest they are all game is when they’re doing that stupid chant. Unfortunately the only way to get rid of it is to get rid of the student section all together and just have more seating available to the public. Most of those students aren’t from around Eugene and certainly know next to nothing about duck football, they do not represent the city nor the fan base.
That's a heckuva overreaction though. Going back to a first come, first serve distribution would do wonders to weed the problem students out.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Student section chanting that is stupid. We have LDS players and recruit LDS players. Jaxon Powers-Johnson’s family tweeted about it last year after USC students chanted it, even though their QB Jaxson Dart is one as well. So it was predictable. But it’s not like they are attacking the religion itself, this is in a football context.

There are better chants to mock them if they wanted to. Caffeine, armpits, missions/age, honor code, whatever. Be creative if you’re going for that so it can’t be misinterpreted.

As for those wanting to ban the students from the games: possible, but very legally dubious. Unless the word used is a clear pejorative, which ‘Mormon’ wouldn’t pass legal muster considering the widespread colloquial usage and usage by the LDS church in their own marketing materials. If you ban the wrong student you’re on the receiving end of an expensive lawsuit. Just publicly apologize, have the student section make sure to educate incoming students, etc. If the guilty party aren’t students it’s a different matter, just specific to students.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

Thanks for derailing a great victory thread with politics that should have been another topic. Fine you guys want to talk politics instead of the great game then lets do it. Stephen A Smith and the media started that anti BYU/Morman stuff which ended up being a hoax. That girl made it up because her aunt is this anti-white person running for office. A few of our antifa types from the student section acted the fool because of that fake hoax. I'm not going to take blame. Those who went with the hoax without thinking should apologize to us Oregon fans for having to deal with their hoax in the student section.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

duck023 wrote:
Thanks for derailing a great victory thread with politics that should have been another topic. Fine you guys want to talk politics instead of the great game then lets do it. Stephen A Smith and the media started that anti BYU/Morman stuff which ended up being a hoax. That girl made it up because her aunt is this anti-white person running for office. A few of our antifa types from the student section acted the fool because of that fake hoax. I'm not going to take blame. Those who went with the hoax without thinking should apologize to us Oregon fans for having to deal with their hoax in the student section.
It's germane to the game thread and I saw the video, it was a few people doing it and it was dumb but its also not as bad as the Utah Gov. made it out to be either.

If you want to over-react to it that's fine though.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

Duck07 wrote:
duck023 wrote:
It's germane to the game thread and I saw the video, it was a few people doing it and it was dumb but its also not as bad as the Utah Gov. made it out to be either.

If you want to over-react to it that's fine though.
I'm not overreacting to it. I defended BYU during the hoax and that overreaction. I will also defend my Ducks from the other overreactions. I know you didn't mean to bring politics in a game thread so let's get back to feel great about Oregon winning.
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

I was at the BYU game in 1992 (?) and remember being creeped out by the anti-mormon stuff coming from drunk fans. Notre Dame deals with similar stuff when they go on the road. The F word gets tossed around too much, too. It is just bad manners. That, and other stuff, is why I prefer the big screen.