#12 BYU @ #25 Oregon (Sept. 17, Sat 12:30 PM Fox)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: #12 BYU @ #25 Oregon (Sept. 17, Sat 12:30 PM Fox)

Post by greenyellow »

gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Duck07 wrote:WTH did Hutson think he was doing?
Hutson is braindead when it comes to ball security. Just from a football IQ standpoint, I would rather have Cota back there fielding punts. Of course, I don't see practices so I don't know how reliable/consistent Cota actually is catching punts.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

GoDucksTroll wrote:There are better chants to mock them if they wanted to. Caffeine, armpits, missions/age, honor code, whatever. Be creative if you’re going for that so it can’t be misinterpreted.
Just wear some "magic underwear" (errrr, Temple garments) to the game and call it a day.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

This was an awesome game. Oregon's had trouble beating good Mountain West teams in the past, so I didn't take BYU lightly. However, saw a smash mouth team from Oregon that I haven't seen before from them. Lanning has turned Oregon into a smash mouth team, but I like how he will still use the hurry up because you might as well if you are a coach at Oregon.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Went back and watched extended highlights and some mostly obvious things that stood out:

In the last two games TFurg has 5 catches, 4 TDs and hasn’t been tackled.

Our OL was truly dominant. I don’t see a lot of teams on our schedule changing that, and should be the thing that carries us to a lot of wins this year.

Nix is really accurate. Having a QB who places the ball right where it needs to be is nice.

LBs still seem a bit lost. Maybe it’s a scheme thing but Sewell just doesn’t seem to be in on a lot of plays.

Bridges is a liability. BYU was blatantly picking on him.

Our DL is playing great and, like our OL, should be a factor that wins us games. I love that instead of just talking about it incessantly, this staff is actually producing dominance up front on both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

OregonFan4Life wrote:It’s sadly become a tradition for the student section to yell the f word followed by whatever city the opponent is from, not surprised they took it to this level. The student section today is absolutely pathetic, the loudest they are all game is when they’re doing that stupid chant. Unfortunately the only way to get rid of it is to get rid of the student section all together and just have more seating available to the public. Most of those students aren’t from around Eugene and certainly know next to nothing about duck football, they do not represent the city nor the fan base.
Those students who aren't from Eugene go to 4 years of games, become indoctrinated, and become the highest earning and largest donating fans of the university. Getting rid of the student section would be one of the worst reverse investments I can think of.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

StevensTechU wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:It’s sadly become a tradition for the student section to yell the f word followed by whatever city the opponent is from, not surprised they took it to this level. The student section today is absolutely pathetic, the loudest they are all game is when they’re doing that stupid chant. Unfortunately the only way to get rid of it is to get rid of the student section all together and just have more seating available to the public. Most of those students aren’t from around Eugene and certainly know next to nothing about duck football, they do not represent the city nor the fan base.
Those students who aren't from Eugene go to 4 years of games, become indoctrinated, and become the highest earning and largest donating fans of the university. Getting rid of the student section would be one of the worst reverse investments I can think of.
Plus, they're having a tough enough time selling out games these days as it is. There really is no reason to open up even more capacity for tickets they need to sell. Definitely can't get rid of the student section, but I do agree with the others that the route to go is the first come, first serve basis. That ensures the most passionate fans get the tickets, and the time commitment to have to wait in line also makes you more likely to attend the game. When people have to put in no effort in order to secure a ticket, they don't feel as big of an obligation to actually go. If they really want to stick to keeping digital, then perhaps have a system where if a ticket isn't scanned, then whomever received that ticket isn't able to get tickets the rest of the season.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

StevensTechU wrote:Great game. Needed that one for the soul.

Not going to get overly excited about "Good Nix" because you know "Bad Nix" is just waiting in the shadows. But he played a great game, and Thompson still has a long way to go (not because the interception was a bad pass, but the offense just seemed to turn from Ferrari to old beater when he came in).

Seeing the defense play fundamentally sound was great. Didn't need any heroes. Just guys getting off their blocks and playing sound.

Bridges is terrible and Manning is terrible but fast. Sort of amazed Dickerson or others haven't taken their snaps, which is disappointing.
Curious why you think Manning is terrible. I thought he looked pretty good Saturday. He was in perfect position on those throws in the 2nd half, just didn’t turn his head a couple times.

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:Curious why you think Manning is terrible. I thought he looked pretty good Saturday. He was in perfect position on those throws in the 2nd half, just didn’t turn his head a couple times.

If I recall correctly, one of those should have been a PI.

Overall, Manning is incredibly athletic but just not much in the way of football IQ as a DB. No idea where the route is going. Not good at breaking off his man to give help when the ball goes elsewhere. Grabs a lot. I hope he figures it out by his 5th year because he's got all the athleticism to excel at the next level, but hasn't happened yet from what I've seen.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

After 3 games, I think we will be fine this year. We played poorly against Georgia and the game should have been closer, but, to me, Georgia seems to be in class above the rest this year. Alabama had a bad game against Texas, but pulled it out. I would be surprised if that is not the NC game again this year. From what I've seen, we are definitely in the running for the PAC-12. I know there are several teams that are unbeaten, but none of them played Georgia or a BYU for that matter. BYU is really not that bad. My opinion.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

To me, From everything I’ve seen in a year and 3 games of Manning, screens safety. He’s a tremendous athlete, and after this new class of recruits show up, he should be moved. Like so many other guys we have had over the years, he could go from Luke warm CB to a really good safety. He has the size, obviously the length and range.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

buckmarkduck wrote:To me, From everything I’ve seen in a year and 3 games of Manning, screens safety. He’s a tremendous athlete, and after this new class of recruits show up, he should be moved. Like so many other guys we have had over the years, he could go from Luke warm CB to a really good safety. He has the size, obviously the length and range.
Totally agree. Bridges should also be a safety (at a MWC/Sun Belt school). I haven't seen too many quotes from this group of coaches that has given me pause, but the one that has is that they want to recruit "defensive backs" without regard to corner vs. safety. I think that's a mistake (Brady Breeze would have been an awful corner), but we'll see if that philosophy matters in practicality.

To end on a less Scrougey note, it looked like Stephens had one of his best games against BYU. If that's a sign of things to come, that's great news for this team.