Lanning and the D

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

chapelhillduck
Senior

Lanning and the D

Post by chapelhillduck »

We’re 3 games in, Lanning is a defense guy (and yeah, the isn’t coordinator but)….how are we feeling about the defense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: Lanning and the D

Post by buckmarkduck »

Improving every game. Not his fault Mario and his staff missed so badly on their evaluation of OLB and DBs. If Mario was still here, we wouldn’t even have Gonzo, so it could be far worse. I see a lot to be pleased with, and expect our D to be really good in year 2 and 3.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

Gonzalez X five would fix the pass D
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

Oregon's had some great defenses over the years but even when the defenses were at their best, they were sort of the bend but don't break style. They always had trouble covering middle of the field passes on 3rd down. However, I saw BYU complete a pass over the middle the other day on 3rd down but the guy had to leap over two guys to catch the ball. When 3rd downs are that tough to convert it is more of a "don't bend very much" defense. Not to mention that 4th and 1 in the 3rd quarter when it looked like BYU ran straight into an old LSU or Alabama type defense.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

chapelhillduck wrote:We’re 3 games in, Lanning is a defense guy (and yeah, the isn’t coordinator but)….how are we feeling about the defense?

I'm not anywhere near the "Tosh is bad" style takes right now.

My only question is what is up with Noah Sewell and if he's playing with an undisclosed injury. He just hasn't looked like himself and barely been on the field.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Duck07 wrote:
chapelhillduck wrote:We’re 3 games in, Lanning is a defense guy (and yeah, the isn’t coordinator but)….how are we feeling about the defense?

My only question is what is up with Noah Sewell and if he's playing with an undisclosed injury. He just hasn't looked like himself and barely been on the field.

Yeah. Honestly Saturday I thought Bassa, LaDuke and Brown played as well as Sewell and Flowe have this year. It might be frowned upon, but I’ll take Bassa starting over Flowe, until JF decides to play within the D and do his job.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

buckmarkduck wrote:Yeah. Honestly Saturday I thought Bassa, LaDuke and Brown played as well as Sewell and Flowe have this year. It might be frowned upon, but I’ll take Bassa starting over Flowe, until JF decides to play within the D and do his job.
I definitely have noticed those young backers take a step up so if they're processing this new defense better that's good long-term but we still need to see that electricity from Sewell and Flowe to tilt the field for the defense.

We should also note the play of our transfer DL in Jordan Riley and Casey Rogers as they've looked pretty solid at times as most of the issues in the run game seem to stem from containment/fill and not getting pushed back.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

offense > defense right now
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

dd10snoop28 wrote:offense > defense right now
ESPN's SP+ agrees with Offense 10th overall and the Defense 43rd. Good for #20 overall.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Well if you're a fan of bend don't break I guess you feel pretty good. We'll see how we feel about it after WSU throws the ball 40 times. If we don't turn it over and play the same offensive style we played against BYwhoo we'll win by 2+ scores.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

nogerO wrote:Well if you're a fan of bend don't break I guess you feel pretty good. We'll see how we feel about it after WSU throws the ball 40 times. If we don't turn it over and play the same offensive style we played against BYwhoo we'll win by 2+ scores.
Wazzu’s only thrown it 40+ times once this year (Idaho) and they ran it 44 times against Wiscy. Given our pass D struggles I imagine they’ll try to challenge us through the air but this isn’t the air-raid wazzu teams of the past.

On that note, Jaren Hall is significantly better than any QB left on our schedule, other than Penix. For example, that last touchdown BYU scored because Bridges was way out of position is a throw Ward would struggle to even make. That was a dime.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

nogerO wrote:Well if you're a fan of bend don't break I guess you feel pretty good. We'll see how we feel about it after WSU throws the ball 40 times. If we don't turn it over and play the same offensive style we played against BYwhoo we'll win by 2+ scores.
To be fair we essentially run the same system as Georgia and you are alluding that this is somehow an inferior system to run.

Which defensive scheme would you prefer us to run? A lot of Man Cover 0 to rush 6 constantly?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Yeah. Tell me you haven’t watched WSU this year, without telling me you haven’t watched them.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Duck07 wrote:

In some ways Sewell is still learning. He has a tendency to over pursue and that's put him out of position on a few plays.
John 3:36
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

I would really like to know who is calling the plays. On the scoopduck podcast Jhop was asked this question and he refused to answer as if it would hurt his relationships. This leads me to believe that it started with Tosh and may have shifted back to lanning. I do not know though. The D-Line is strong. LBs are suspect (surprisingly so) and one side of the DB room is weak.
Safety--ok, not great.