Lanning and the D

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

gogreen55
Senior

Re: Lanning and the D

Post by gogreen55 »

Losing Popo for the season is obviously a factor in the defense not living up to expectations. I don't know how much of it can be explained by that alone, but it is at least partly responsible for our pass defense/pressure woes. The transfers replacing him simply don't look as athletic. Here is a snippet from Popo's bio, which shows how much of a factor he was last season, and presumably would have been this season.

Enjoyed a breakout season for the Ducks in his fifth year with the program, playing in 13 of Oregon’s 14 games … Named a Pac-12 all-conference first-team selection by both the Associated Press and Pro Football Focus while earning honorable mention recognition from the league’s coaches … Finished the season with a career-high 36 total tackles, including 16 solo … Recorded 3.0 tackles for loss … Led all Pac-12 interior defensive linemen with an 81.3 overall defensive grade by PFF … Ranked second among the league’s interior defensive linemen in both pass-rush grade (82.0) and rush-defense grade (74.8) by PFF
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

SuperDuck wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
chapelhillduck wrote:We’re 3 games in, Lanning is a defense guy (and yeah, the isn’t coordinator but)….how are we feeling about the defense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not anywhere near the "Tosh is bad" style takes right now.

My only question is what is up with Noah Sewell and if he's playing with an undisclosed injury. He just hasn't looked like himself and barely been on the field.
In some ways Sewell is still learning. He has a tendency to over pursue and that's put him out of position on a few plays.
On his podcast QB11 said Sewell has an undisclosed injury that held him out of fall camp entirely. So he’s learning a new, more complex defense on the fly while injured. And same goes for Flowe; because of his injuries this is essentially his freshman season and he’s having to learn a new defense.

buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
chapelhillduck wrote:We’re 3 games in, Lanning is a defense guy (and yeah, the isn’t coordinator but)….how are we feeling about the defense?

I'm not anywhere near the "Tosh is bad" style takes right now.

My only question is what is up with Noah Sewell and if he's playing with an undisclosed injury. He just hasn't looked like himself and barely been on the field.
In some ways Sewell is still learning. He has a tendency to over pursue and that's put him out of position on a few plays.
On his podcast QB11 said Sewell has an undisclosed injury that held him out of fall camp entirely. So he’s learning a new, more complex defense on the fly while injured. And same goes for Flowe; because of his injuries this is essentially his freshman season and he’s having to learn a new defense.

I saw a video posted on twitter someone from the sideline took of the pick 6 by Mase. And at the end of it, you can see Noah being helped off the field.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Noah came over to the section of the stadium with duck fans after the game (nice guy, only 2 other players came over) and was limping pretty significantly.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

dd10snoop28 wrote:Noah came over to the section of the stadium with duck fans after the game (nice guy, only 2 other players came over) and was limping pretty significantly.
Limping is an understatement, he was hopping on one foot for half of it. Speaking of him being only one of three players to come over, that was pretty surprising to me. As much as the coaches talk about how important fans are to the team, and from previous teams/staffs coming over and celebrating with the fans I had expected to see a bit more of that. They are a new staff though, so might just be part of the learning curve.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

pudgejeff wrote:
dd10snoop28 wrote:Noah came over to the section of the stadium with duck fans after the game (nice guy, only 2 other players came over) and was limping pretty significantly.
Limping is an understatement, he was hopping on one foot for half of it. Speaking of him being only one of three players to come over, that was pretty surprising to me. As much as the coaches talk about how important fans are to the team, and from previous teams/staffs coming over and celebrating with the fans I had expected to see a bit more of that. They are a new staff though, so might just be part of the learning curve.
I agree. Was very surprised that they didn't come over to the fans afterwards. Especially after an insane comeback like that.. I could understand if it was a 40 point blowout, then there would be less of a reason to get jazzed with the fans.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I get the sense that Lanning doesn’t care all that much for the fan/media PR stuff. Similar to Chip, he just wants to coach football and seems annoyed doing any of the fan or media obligations. We’re also used to Cristobal who was a pro when it came to that stuff. Dude was always selling.