#15 Oregon @ Washington State (Sept. 24, Sat 1 PM Fox)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

#15 Oregon @ Washington State (Sept. 24, Sat 1 PM Fox)

Post by greenyellow »

2-1 Oregon vs 3-0 Washington State
Duck07
All-American

Re: #15 Oregon @ Washington State (Sept. 24, Sat 1 PM Fox)

Post by Duck07 »

Glad for another game at the same time for the team, especially as they get ready for classes to start and their focus can go to crap.

I know some aren't high on Ward but I still think WSU is going to make this a tough game as they always get up for games against us and they were able to fight in the trenches at Wisconsin and win.

We win this game comfortably and I'll feel great about the schedule for the next 5 games.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Duck07 wrote:Glad for another game at the same time for the team, especially as they get ready for classes to start and their focus can go to crap.

I know some aren't high on Ward but I still think WSU is going to make this a tough game as they always get up for games against us and they were able to fight in the trenches at Wisconsin and win.

We win this game comfortably and I'll feel great about the schedule for the next 5 games.
I’m one of those but I agree. I don’t anticipate this being an easy game at all, especially if they are able to win at the line as often as they did against Wiscy.

We may learn to not doubt this team/staff but for now I’m sticking to the cautiously optimistic approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Wazzu is a difficult team to pin down. Cam Ward was a good get, I thought de Laura was also a good one so I’m not sure if it was necessarily an upgrade but I think it was. Beating Wisconsin is impressive. But doing it with Wisconsin having 150 yards of offense more and the same number of turnovers is statistically unlikely.

Here’s what they do well:
* Cause chaos. Fumbles galore. Sacks. 14 in three games, but only one against Wisconsin - 7 TFLs that game though. Even with their best DE Ron Stone not racking them up.
* Limit the run. Small sample size and competition, but no runs longer than 18 yards allowed and they’ve been stout there.
* Hit big passes. That’s an uh oh.

What they don’t do well:
* Hang on to the ball.
* Convert third down.
* Susceptible to allowing big plays in the secondary.
* Pass pro, especially holding blocks long enough.

Oregon wins comfortably if they hang on to the ball on Wazzu’s countless attempts to strip it, and have an offensive game plan where either Nix gets enough time or one where he doesn’t force pre-read throws. In other words don’t throw pointless tunnel screens and short crossers and hitches all the dang time- air it out or catch them off balance. On defense be better on first down and force Ward to make plays on third down.

They snuck by Idaho and were lucky to beat Wisconsin. Oregon by ~17 or so. 30-13 type of game.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

GoDucksTroll wrote:Wazzu is a difficult team to pin down. Cam Ward was a good get, I thought de Laura was also a good one so I’m not sure if it was necessarily an upgrade but I think it was. Beating Wisconsin is impressive. But doing it with Wisconsin having 150 yards of offense more and the same number of turnovers is statistically unlikely.

Here’s what they do well:
* Cause chaos. Fumbles galore. Sacks. 14 in three games, but only one against Wisconsin - 7 TFLs that game though. Even with their best DE Ron Stone not racking them up.
* Limit the run. Small sample size and competition, but no runs longer than 18 yards allowed and they’ve been stout there.
* Hit big passes. That’s an uh oh.

What they don’t do well:
* Hang on to the ball.
* Convert third down.
* Susceptible to allowing big plays in the secondary.
* Pass pro, especially holding blocks long enough.

Oregon wins comfortably if they hang on to the ball on Wazzu’s countless attempts to strip it, and have an offensive game plan where either Nix gets enough time or one where he doesn’t force pre-read throws. In other words don’t throw pointless tunnel screens and short crossers and hitches all the dang time- air it out or catch them off balance. On defense be better on first down and force Ward to make plays on third down.

They snuck by Idaho and were lucky to beat Wisconsin. Oregon by ~17 or so. 30-13 type of game.
Bass-Harper-Forsyth is becoming a pretty stout side to run behind so I'm hopeful that if we go straight at them we'll find our success on the ground rather than by getting laterally.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I’m glad the game is at 1:00, a night game at the Palouse always scares me.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I’m also glad we’re playing Wazzu earlier in the year. I feel like they’re a little rocky right now but will get their groove and be a dangerous team come late October.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

Day games at Pullman always remind me of Barner getting hurt on a kickoff return.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

duckfan96 wrote:Day games at Pullman always remind me of Barner getting hurt on a kickoff return.
I was at that game, I remember some fans talking about how they were upset he got up and were hoping he was paralyzed. WSU fans are a special group. Worst story of that fanbase is that or back in 2006 I think it was the students held dead ducks that were freshly killed on ropes over the players as they were entering the field and blood was dripping all over them.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Whenever WSU has a decent (or better) team, I'm always quite worried when the game is in Pullman, especially with this new coaching staff and my feeling that that this Duck team is still somewhat of an unknown commodity. I SURE hope those of you sounding pretty confident -- that WSU isn't that good, etc. -- are correct. Because I agree that IF the Ducks can come away with a W, their schedule seems to be set up well for their next several games.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Greenblood wrote:I SURE hope those of you sounding pretty confident -- that WSU isn't that good, etc. -- are correct.
Take it with a grain of salt, especially when it comes to the WSU defense. The WSU defensive front is significantly better the injury riddled BYU front the Ducks' offensive line was going against last game. The noise factor the offensive line will have to deal with this week will exacerbate it even more.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

gogreen55 wrote:
Greenblood wrote:I SURE hope those of you sounding pretty confident -- that WSU isn't that good, etc. -- are correct.
Take it with a grain of salt, especially when it comes to the WSU defense. The WSU defensive front is significantly better the injury riddled BYU front the Ducks' offensive line was going against last game. The noise factor the offensive line will have to deal with this week will exacerbate it even more.
I have no clue what’s gonna happen…but our OL also did pretty good blocking against Georgia.

dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

chapelhillduck wrote:
gogreen55 wrote:
I have no clue what’s gonna happen…but our OL also did pretty good blocking against Georgia.

Against Georgia we averaged 2.6 yards before contact, the highest of any team since 2018, and didn’t allow even a QB pressure. Wazzu is very quick but small up front.