#15 Oregon @ Washington State (Sept. 24, Sat 1 PM Fox)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: #15 Oregon @ Washington State (Sept. 24, Sat 1 PM Fox)

Post by Duck07 »

Condensed Game Replay

Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

The pick by Funa was beautiful. Instead of knocking down he leapt high and snagged that ball. He sure knew where the end zone was. I dont know that we have many takeaways this season.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

rockthief wrote:The pick by Funa was beautiful. Instead of knocking down he leapt high and snagged that ball. He sure knew where the end zone was. I dont know that we have many takeaways this season.
After the game he said they had scouted that play during the week, so pre-snap he knew exactly what was coming and just sat on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Alan wrote:
pdxduck2013 wrote:
duck023 wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:
pdxduck2013 wrote:Ward looked like he passed the LOS when he threw it...
I thought so, too!!!
I thought the same thing. Also, on that one long pass play I'm pretty sure that WR that caught ball ran before the snap which is why the defender was so out of position.
I think the one where the WR got the jump on the defense was actually a trick play, not a false start. Almost everyone looked to the sideline for a fake call that wasn't coming in, center snaps the ball and then QB throws to a WR who should be open on the opposite side of the field from their sideline.
No it was late in the game and the WSU QB scrambled and completed a long pass down to the half yard line. My question is his front leg clearly was over the LOS but was the ball? It should have been reviewed….. but hey this group of refs lost track of the downs and wsu ran.a play then punted and then got the ball back to try it again… “you had one job to do! Count to four.
Pretty sure the rule is the qb just has to have a foot behind the Los when he released the ball. So no flag.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
rockthief wrote:The pick by Funa was beautiful. Instead of knocking down he leapt high and snagged that ball. He sure knew where the end zone was. I dont know that we have many takeaways this season.
After the game he said they had scouted that play during the week, so pre-snap he knew exactly what was coming and just sat on it.
I think it was Spencer Tillman who made the comment that it was a good thing that the Cougs got a 4 yd rush on 1st down (as if the clock wasn't their enemy even with 2 TOs) for some reason like offensive rhythm and as soon as Funa picked that ball off and I stopped screaming I thought how that run play on 1st down meant there was ZERO chance they were going to run again on 2nd, which meant the OLB wasn't going to bite on any run action and his film review paid off.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Lanning said he was yelling for him to go down. But obviously Mase couldn’t hear him.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

buckmarkduck wrote:Pretty sure the rule is the qb just has to have a foot behind the Los when he released the ball. So no flag.
Oh the vagaries of College and NFL. I do know for sure that IS the rule in the NFL. I only think its also the rule in college.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Duck07 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:Pretty sure the rule is the qb just has to have a foot behind the Los when he released the ball. So no flag.
Oh the vagaries of College and NFL. I do know for sure that IS the rule in the NFL. I only think its also the rule in college.

Well, then we probably know more about the rules than the pac 12 refs.
spacefrog13x
Three Star Recruit

Post by spacefrog13x »

what about the play where Cam Ward faked a forward pass to a player running a jet sweep. He threw the ball up in the air a foot or two and then caught it. I was under the impression that is a forward pass. He then threw it to another player for like a 4 yard gain. shouldnt that have been an illegal forward pass? I have never seen that before.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

buckmarkduck wrote:Well, then we probably know more about the rules than the pac 12 refs.
They absolutely have to be suspended this week. Much respect to Coach Dickert for essentially doing a "gentlemans" play with the draw after the punt reversal because it did nothing but put him in an awful spot.

I know for fact though that I could do a better job than Tim Brandt does at PxP. The lack of game prep they did for knowing the basic 2 deep was bad for a national broadcast. He must do a LOT of monitor watching to sound as oblivious as he did.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

spacefrog13x wrote:what about the play where Cam Ward faked a forward pass to a player running a jet sweep. He threw the ball up in the air a foot or two and then caught it. I was under the impression that is a forward pass. He then threw it to another player for like a 4 yard gain. shouldnt that have been an illegal forward pass? I have never seen that before.
You're probably right about that as I remember the play, but can't specifically recall if it was a pitch pass or a true handoff.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

buckmarkduck wrote:
Alan wrote:
pdxduck2013 wrote:
duck023 wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:
pdxduck2013 wrote:Ward looked like he passed the LOS when he threw it...
I thought so, too!!!
I thought the same thing. Also, on that one long pass play I'm pretty sure that WR that caught ball ran before the snap which is why the defender was so out of position.
I think the one where the WR got the jump on the defense was actually a trick play, not a false start. Almost everyone looked to the sideline for a fake call that wasn't coming in, center snaps the ball and then QB throws to a WR who should be open on the opposite side of the field from their sideline.
No it was late in the game and the WSU QB scrambled and completed a long pass down to the half yard line. My question is his front leg clearly was over the LOS but was the ball? It should have been reviewed….. but hey this group of refs lost track of the downs and wsu ran.a play then punted and then got the ball back to try it again… “you had one job to do! Count to four.
Pretty sure the rule is the qb just has to have a foot behind the Los when he released the ball. So no flag.

Yep. After watching it again it was legal.
John 3:36
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I still can’t believe we won that game... Between the god-awful officiating, the morons on the commentary, and the ducks’ pile of mistakes, it had all the vexing amateurishness bizarre pac-12 road losses always do.

I don’t get that frustrated any more during duck games but I was losing it during this one. Which made that comeback all the more sweet. The type of win that reminds us why we love college football so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

Even given the circumstances of a ridiculously lucky win, and Lanning's normally positive demeanor, you could tell that he was really unhappy with the defense (he was giddy about the offense). Also, the WSU head coach in postgame mentioned that they tried three trick plays and hit on all three. How often does that happen against a well-coached team? The season started with seven TDs on seven possessions, with little improvement since then, with maybe Oregon's most talented roster ever. I wonder if Lanning is planning to get more personally involved.

But Nix and Franklin; wow!