Student chants

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Re: Student chants

Post by QuackininBama »

Drunk college football fans chant dumb things...........And????? So what. Nothing to see here. If they want real ammo show up when Washington play Oregon, now that is REAL HATE SPEECH!!!!
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

pezsez1 wrote:
The recourse to saying a derogatory term to a mormon is much less than it will ever be for other protected classes, however much you might disagree with it....
I agree the recourse is less. The Mormons are the butt of a lot of jokes, but they aren't really victims of systemic racism/hate/inequities in the same way as other demographics, so it's honestly difficult for me (and others) to care too much about some students engaging in a dumb chant. Nobody likes being the butt of a chant/joke/insult/etc. -- and it's really unfortunate that UO students made Mormon visitors, players, and recruits feel anything but welcome -- but there are levels to this and I think everyone understands that.

The University apologized. Bring on WSU.
Yikes! Any racism or hatred towards any group shouldn't be valued less or greater because of certain heuristics. That’s not right.. The post above is inherently racist as it already casts a bias against a certain group. Plus Mormons had their share of issues in America trying to settle in.

Don’t forget what Missouri governor said in the mid 1800s. "the Mormons must be treated as enemies, and must be exterminated or driven from the State."

Ironically, my personal views of Mormonism isn’t very positive. However racism is racism, even if I’m not particularly fond of the group and/or their beliefs.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

pezsez1 wrote:
The recourse to saying a derogatory term to a mormon is much less than it will ever be for other protected classes, however much you might disagree with it....
I agree the recourse is less. The Mormons are the butt of a lot of jokes, but they aren't really victims of systemic racism/hate/inequities in the same way as other demographics, so it's honestly difficult for me (and others) to care too much about some students engaging in a dumb chant. Nobody likes being the butt of a chant/joke/insult/etc. -- and it's really unfortunate that UO students made Mormon visitors, players, and recruits feel anything but welcome -- but there are levels to this and I think everyone understands that.

I just find it ironic that a hoax about black/white racism @ BYU, which didn't actually happened, was likely the catalyst for these bigoted aspersions levied by the UO students.

The problem is that media/society has amplified and awarded any instances that demonstrate racial division in recent years, which has lead to innumerable amounts of black/white controversies that were headline news for multiple days, and that turned out to be hoaxes later on. Unfortunately, there is never recourse for the hoax perpetuators, but alas, we no longer live in a society that rewards truth/justice as much as we are of headlines and $$$. It didn't used to be like that.
dd10snoop28
Senior

Post by dd10snoop28 »

QuackininBama wrote:Drunk college football fans chant dumb things...........And????? So what. Nothing to see here. If they want real ammo show up when Washington play Oregon, now that is REAL HATE SPEECH!!!!
trueee
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Unfortunately, there is never recourse for the hoax perpetuators, but alas, we no longer live in a society that rewards truth/justice as much as we are of headlines and $$$. It didn't used to be like that.
Blame the rise of social media and cable news (push headlines now!) in parallel to the death of quality local journalism (get it right in a story to be published tomorrow).

I had a front-row seat and saw this coming from miles away.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

pezsez1 wrote:

Guess what the majority of our Polynesian players are?
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dd10snoop28
Senior

Post by dd10snoop28 »

pezsez1 wrote:
Unfortunately, there is never recourse for the hoax perpetuators, but alas, we no longer live in a society that rewards truth/justice as much as we are of headlines and $$$. It didn't used to be like that.
Blame the rise of social media and cable news (push headlines now!) in parallel to the death of quality local journalism (get it right in a story to be published tomorrow).

I had a front-row seat and saw this coming from miles away.
Yup. Sadly, the effects of this reporting is negative all the way around. Blacks become more resentful of police and white people, and have more incentive to lay blame to the system rather than individualism, and white people will either become (1) overly apologetic for current/past ills committed by past generations, or (2) become hardened in their views because of a media/society that says they are inherently racist for not behaving like #1.
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

I think it’s healthy to feel shame about this situation, but I believe the sincere apologies show that it was a blunder that was addressed comprehensively. Sometimes fans need to be reminded about appropriate behavior. For instance I remember how solid/loud Autzen crowd would be on every single 3rd/4th down on defense from 2007-2010. The last game I went to last year was far more lackadaisical and inconsistent. Perhaps next time BYU visits Oregon video board people should remind fans what intolerable behavior is and to be kind to our visiting fans, or at the very least, not hateful. Wouldn’t want to ever get like that Arizona game where batteries and bottles came raining down onto the field.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

BYU already excepted our deep apology. Time to move on.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

isn’t there a student code of conduct? If these five I could identify in the video are not student they need to be banned for a year, second offense is life. The term “drunk kids” has been used some, student does not equal kid, 18 = adult, I know that is a grey area but it is a line between childhood and adulthood……. It is like being pregnant you are or your not. These young adults chant f u Mormons how would Lon lookers feel if it was a few 50 year old men chanting? About Mormons, lots of misunderstandings about their beliefs, lots of false beliefs about their beliefs, Mormons are still being held responsible for the sins of their forefathers…… is a buy football player responsible of the church not allowing blacks in until 1972…..50 years ago? Being a older white male do I hold any responsibility for the whites owning a black human being nearly 200 years ago. Times change, people hange and adults need to be help accountable for their actions today. Okay off my soapbox and looking forward to getting some eggs, breakfast and watching Ducks whooping ass on some cougars.
dd10snoop28
Senior

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Alan wrote:isn’t there a student code of conduct? If these five I could identify in the video are not student they need to be banned for a year, second offense is life. The term “drunk kids” has been used some, student does not equal kid, 18 = adult, I know that is a grey area but it is a line between childhood and adulthood……. It is like being pregnant you are or your not. These young adults chant f u Mormons how would Lon lookers feel if it was a few 50 year old men chanting? About Mormons, lots of misunderstandings about their beliefs, lots of false beliefs about their beliefs, Mormons are still being held responsible for the sins of their forefathers…… is a buy football player responsible of the church not allowing blacks in until 1972…..50 years ago? Being a older white male do I hold any responsibility for the whites owning a black human being nearly 200 years ago. Times change, people hange and adults need to be help accountable for their actions today. Okay off my soapbox and looking forward to getting some eggs, breakfast and watching Ducks whooping ass on some cougars.
A lot of typos but I think I understand. Agree with this. Why would u hold current generations responsible for past ills committed? Only helps to create further division rather than resolving anything.

It's funny cuz @ the Wazzu game, they would have the Jumbotron have a message from different student bodies/university officials emphasizing that students take "personal responsibility" for the injustices that have/are taking place in society. Essentially trying to guilt students into doing what is right. It's bad form.
BYUTexan
One Star Recruit

Post by BYUTexan »

QuackininBama wrote:Drunk college football fans chant dumb things...........And????? So what. Nothing to see here. If they want real ammo show up when Washington play Oregon, now that is REAL HATE SPEECH!!!!
You don't think "F The Mormons" is hate speech? The problem is if that chant was directed at Muslims, Jews, etc there would be a public backlash, yet Mormons are fair game?
BYUTexan
One Star Recruit

Post by BYUTexan »

buckmarkduck wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:

Guess what the majority of our Polynesian players are?
^^^ This, Haloti Ngata, Hamani Stevens (whom I met at church once and played on the 2014 team), The Sewell Brothers Noah and Penei are all LDS and Oregon competes for many LDS/Polynesian recruits each year, each year there are a number of returned LDS missionaries on the Oregon team. Kingsley Suamataia transferred to BYU from Oregon because he didn't feel comfortable there as an LDS student athlete. Not saying this is generally what goes on at Oregon, but Polynesians in general, especially Tongans are tend to be LDS and value their faith greatly. Danny Ainge and Todd Christensen were from Eugene. Not to mention there is a solid LDS community in the Eugene/Springfield area that is near and dear to my heart because they fellowshipped my father during his formative years. You'd think the students would be more aware of this and seek to make the LDS student athletes feel more welcome? Oregon is my #2 team, I'd hate for y'all to lose solid LDS recruits because of this type of double standard.
BYUTexan
One Star Recruit

Post by BYUTexan »

Alan wrote:isn’t there a student code of conduct? If these five I could identify in the video are not student they need to be banned for a year, second offense is life. The term “drunk kids” has been used some, student does not equal kid, 18 = adult, I know that is a grey area but it is a line between childhood and adulthood……. It is like being pregnant you are or your not. These young adults chant f u Mormons how would Lon lookers feel if it was a few 50 year old men chanting? About Mormons, lots of misunderstandings about their beliefs, lots of false beliefs about their beliefs, Mormons are still being held responsible for the sins of their forefathers…… is a buy football player responsible of the church not allowing blacks in until 1972…..50 years ago? Being a older white male do I hold any responsibility for the whites owning a black human being nearly 200 years ago. Times change, people hange and adults need to be help accountable for their actions today. Okay off my soapbox and looking forward to getting some eggs, breakfast and watching Ducks whooping ass on some cougars.
Just an FYI, blacks could join the church (get baptized) the whole time, just that it was until 1978 that they weren't allowed to hold the priesthood (something many of the LDS faith and in church leadership today feel was in error/due to a misunderstanding of doctrine).
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

BYUTexan wrote:
You don't think "F The Mormons" is hate speech? The problem is if that chant was directed at Muslims, Jews, etc there would be a public backlash, yet Mormons are fair game?
Agreed^

Perhaps QuackininBama is implying that all such infractions are minor and shouldn’t be a big deal? Apologize and move on mentality.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13