Student chants

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Student chants

Post by dd10snoop28 »

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2022/0 ... utType=amp

Dumb kids doing dumb things, However, wonder if the attention given to the BYU/Duke volleyball debacle created a feeling of comfortability for the students to say "F U, mormons".
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Re: Student chants

Post by duck023 »

It did! I blame Stephen A and the rest of the media for pushing an anti BYU/Mormon agenda for 2 weeks. It actually could have been a lot worse. I'm glad none of the Oregon players said anything like that or tried to push the hoax as a way to motivate themselves.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

duck023 wrote:It did! I blame Stephen A and the rest of the media for pushing an anti BYU/Mormon agenda for 2 weeks. It actually could have been a lot worse. I'm glad none of the Oregon players said anything like that or tried to push the hoax as a way to motivate themselves.
Stephen A is a closet racist. Sometimes he opens the door.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

I guess there was more than just “F the Mormons”. My in-laws were next to the student section and they felt like it was over the top. They didn’t give details, but said they felt bad for the BYU fans.

I was there with a buddy who was a BYU alum and he got heckled going in to the game, (fairly standard stuff) but on the way out some dude thanked him for coming to visit Oregon. It was pretty cool. I wish we (as fans) did more of that.
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Post by Zyme »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:I guess there was more than just “F the Mormons”. My in-laws were next to the student section and they felt like it was over the top. They didn’t give details, but said they felt bad for the BYU fans.

I was there with a buddy who was a BYU alum and he got heckled going in to the game, (fairly standard stuff) but on the way out some dude thanked him for coming to visit Oregon. It was pretty cool. I wish we (as fans) did more of that.
I always make a point to thank visitors for coming and offer recommend restaurants to visit.
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

QB recruit T.C. Manumaleuna left the game early as a result of the offensive things he heard duck fans yelling towards Mormons. To those that think it’s no big deal, it is, not just cause it makes recruits want to avoid Oregon, but because it truly is inappropriate and offensive, all for a stupid football game.

I remember last year when I was at the Cal game which was a Friday night, I couldn’t believe how bad it was, a duck fan was yelling at Cal fans how he was going to rape all of the Cal cheerleaders that night. Somehow someway these low life idiots (including the students) need to be banned from Autzen. Autzen security has become a joke and this is the result.

Don’t forget the videos on YouTube of duck fans getting in fist fights over stupid things.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

There's always going to be a few who make it bad for a lot of people.

My guess is the AD will ID these people and there will be some type of punishments' but as I said we may not know due to student records confidentiality.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Again, USC chanted the exact same thing a year ago. Barely anyone cared. It’s not the first tim BYU has heard this.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Was it inappropriate? Yes. Is "F the mormons" the most despicable thing I've ever heard? No. Are college aged kids stupid? Yes (as is much of society, to be honest). Could I imagine students from my generation (00s) or earlier chanting equally bad or worse things at a game? Absolutely.

Say sorry (check). Move on.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Stephen A is a closet racist. Sometimes he opens the door.
I wouldn't say he's racist, but damn he is absolutely sexist. That's one of the reasons I switched to Undisputed for my sports junk food kick.

I've never been the biggest Molly K fan, but over the years I've really admired her strength for not just slapping the **** out of him. You can always see how pissed she is whenever he says something stupid about women.

Regarding the chants:
Yes, this.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

All good points. I'd say Stephen A Smith falls moreso under the category of a race provocateur, and sadly, that provocation is demonstrated in why people feel so comfortable saying F U to mormons. The recourse to saying a derogatory term to a mormon is much less than it will ever be for other protected classes, however much you might disagree with it....

Think about it for a second: BYU has had more repercussions during the Duke/volleyball scandal for something that never happened versus the UO students who actually chanted F U mormons, which was caught on multiple cameras. I guess I sort of understand it, however.

Race baiting gets you a lot more clicks. Smith, and ESPN, got a ton of attention for his rant on the hoax more than anything else they'll talk about, whether true or not.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

StevensTechU wrote:Was it inappropriate? Yes. Is "F the mormons" the most despicable thing I've ever heard? No. Are college aged kids stupid? Yes (as is much of society, to be honest). Could I imagine students from my generation (00s) or earlier chanting equally bad or worse things at a game? Absolutely.

This^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Seems the chant did have an impact on 2024 QB TC Manumaleuna and his family as they left the game early once they heard the chants. Oregon coaches have had to do a bit of damage control so it might be time fans think twice before starting certain chants.
North Salem High School junior quarterback TC Manumaleuna was at Autzen Stadium as a recruit when the incident happened.

“To be honest, I felt like the people saying ‘F the Mormons’ were dumb, but I didn’t associate it with the Oregon Ducks or the school,” said Manumaleuna, who is Polynesian and a member of the Church of Geez Christ of Latter-Day Saints. “I’ve always been an Oregon fan, but it’s the first time I’ve seen something like this.”

Even though he didn’t associate the chant with the Oregon program, Manumaleuna left the game at halftime.

“Definitely felt uncomfortable because I was with my parents and sisters,” he said. “You kind of don’t know what to say or how you feel about it at that time. We left at halftime. My dad said, ‘Let’s get out of here.’”

Manumaleuna received a scholarship offer from Oregon before he was in high school. He also has offers from Florida State, Miami and Louisville, and has not yet made a decision.

“I would never cross the Ducks off my list. I play football today because I was raised going to Duck games, but I’d be lying if I said it didn’t have some kind of impact on me,” Manumaleuna said. “(Oregon defensive coordinator and linebackers coach) Tosh (Lupoi) reached out to my dad yesterday after the game and I was able to talk with (Oregon director of recruiting and LDS member) JR Moala for a little bit, too. Those guys are like family, especially JR.

“Oregon has a great coaching staff and I appreciate them reaching out to check on us. That meant a lot.”
https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/ ... 502025007/
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

greenyellow wrote:Seems the chant did have an impact on 2024 QB TC Manumaleuna and his family as they left the game early once they heard the chants. Oregon coaches have had to do a bit of damage control so it might be time fans think twice before starting certain chants.
North Salem High School junior quarterback TC Manumaleuna was at Autzen Stadium as a recruit when the incident happened.

“To be honest, I felt like the people saying ‘F the Mormons’ were dumb, but I didn’t associate it with the Oregon Ducks or the school,” said Manumaleuna, who is Polynesian and a member of the Church of Geez Christ of Latter-Day Saints. “I’ve always been an Oregon fan, but it’s the first time I’ve seen something like this.”

Even though he didn’t associate the chant with the Oregon program, Manumaleuna left the game at halftime.

“Definitely felt uncomfortable because I was with my parents and sisters,” he said. “You kind of don’t know what to say or how you feel about it at that time. We left at halftime. My dad said, ‘Let’s get out of here.’”

Manumaleuna received a scholarship offer from Oregon before he was in high school. He also has offers from Florida State, Miami and Louisville, and has not yet made a decision.

“I would never cross the Ducks off my list. I play football today because I was raised going to Duck games, but I’d be lying if I said it didn’t have some kind of impact on me,” Manumaleuna said. “(Oregon defensive coordinator and linebackers coach) Tosh (Lupoi) reached out to my dad yesterday after the game and I was able to talk with (Oregon director of recruiting and LDS member) JR Moala for a little bit, too. Those guys are like family, especially JR.

“Oregon has a great coaching staff and I appreciate them reaching out to check on us. That meant a lot.”
https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/ ... 502025007/
I think that's why DL addressed it first thing in his presser last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

The recourse to saying a derogatory term to a mormon is much less than it will ever be for other protected classes, however much you might disagree with it....
I agree the recourse is less. The Mormons are the butt of a lot of jokes, but they aren't really victims of systemic racism/hate/inequities in the same way as other demographics, so it's honestly difficult for me (and others) to care too much about some students engaging in a dumb chant. Nobody likes being the butt of a chant/joke/insult/etc. -- and it's really unfortunate that UO students made Mormon visitors, players, and recruits feel anything but welcome -- but there are levels to this and I think everyone understands that.

The University apologized. Bring on WSU.
Willie Taggart is a dick.