GrandpaDuck
Senior

ADRIAN KLEMM 1st 3 Week Grade

Post by GrandpaDuck »

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: ADRIAN KLEMM 1st 3 Week Grade

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I hate to say this, but Mario probably deserves a lot of credit for how well the OLine is playing too. Klemm seems to coach them up a little better as they make less mistakes, but Mario got these beasts on campus (except for Connorly, but he was committed prior to Mario leaving so you could argue Mario did the work to get him here too). It’ll be interesting to see if Klemm can continue to bring high quality lineman to Oregon.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I hate to say this, but Mario probably deserves a lot of credit for how well the OLine is playing too. Klemm seems to coach them up a little better as they make less mistakes, but Mario got these beasts on campus (except for Connorly, but he was committed prior to Mario leaving so you could argue Mario did the work to get him here too). It’ll be interesting to see if Klemm can continue to bring high quality lineman to Oregon.
I'm very iffy on giving Cristobal credit. The line situation is tenuous, to say the least. Cristobal/Mirabal's recruits have worked out at a very low rate, forcing us to rely on virtually the same group of guys for 3 years now. Additionally, 40% of the starting line weren't Cristobal's guys (Forsyth committed to Greatwood/Helfrich, and Walk walked on). Lastly, Sala had his bags almost packed but Lanning/Klemm got him to stay. He likely would have stayed if Cristobal didn't leave, but I can't say for sure.

The line is playing really well right now, but the issues with depth that have developed could be a problem over a long season.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Good to know, definitely reason to be optimistic for the OLine in the future!

Just saw that Oregon is one of 3 FBS schools to not give up a single sack this season, I guarantee you the other 2 have not played Georgia!
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

On paper, it looked like a great hire by Dan. Experience at both the college and NFL levels, combined with being considered one of the top recruiters in the Pac-12 before moving on to the NFL. Hopefully he can keep the good vibes going in Pullman.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I hate to say this, but Mario probably deserves a lot of credit for how well the OLine is playing too. Klemm seems to coach them up a little better as they make less mistakes, but Mario got these beasts on campus (except for Connorly, but he was committed prior to Mario leaving so you could argue Mario did the work to get him here too). It’ll be interesting to see if Klemm can continue to bring high quality lineman to Oregon.

Klemm is 110% the reason we got Josh C. Mario never had a commitment from him, and he wasn’t interested in playing for Mario. You are thinking of the kid that went to Texas.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

StevensTechU wrote:
I'm very iffy on giving Cristobal credit. The line situation is tenuous, to say the least. Cristobal/Mirabal's recruits have worked out at a very low rate, forcing us to rely on virtually the same group of guys for 3 years now. Additionally, 40% of the starting line weren't Cristobal's guys (Forsyth committed to Greatwood/Helfrich, and Walk walked on). Lastly, Sala had his bags almost packed but Lanning/Klemm got him to stay. He likely would have stayed if Cristobal didn't leave, but I can't say for sure.

The line is playing really well right now, but the issues with depth that have developed could be a problem over a long season.
I feel like Sala has improved a ton this year. Last year he was great one game, then bad the next week. Which was pretty typical of a lot of guys last year.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

buckmarkduck wrote:

Klemm is 110% the reason we got Josh C. Mario never had a commitment from him, and he wasn’t interested in playing for Mario. You are thinking of the kid that went to Texas.
Consistent with what I have been told

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

buckmarkduck wrote: I feel like Sala has improved a ton this year. Last year he was great one game, then bad the next week. Which was pretty typical of a lot of guys last year.
Another part of the other reason I'm hesitant to give Cristobal/Mirabal too much credit for these guys playing well is that guys generally just get better with time. Steven Jones and Sala have played a lot of football - they should be better than past years. I'd say, though, Jones, Jaramillo, Harper, Laloulu and perhaps Sala (Bass has been good since day 1, Sala was closer to a ball of clay) probably speak the most to bal & bal's recruiting and coaching, as well as Randazzo, Jonah Miller, Denis, Sagapalou, Jeffers, Tauanu'u, etc.
bdkipe
Two Star Recruit

Post by bdkipe »

STU / Duck07 and members who have been players/coaches at any level -

I'd be interested to hear y'all share your thoughts on the little things you see in the differences between Klemm and 'Bal/'Bal techs and teaching. I know Klemm mentioned when he had been here a few weeks there were some things he didn't agree with. He said something like (not exact quote), "there are things the previous coaches taught that aren't my style or I think we could change for the better." Again, it wasn't an exact quote but it was something like that.

ALSO..."smooth snap" (LOL) non-withstanding, I think a lot of credit should go to Alex as a leader of the line. Here's why. His dad Steve was one of my Sales Managers in radio back from 2001 through 2006 and was literally one of THE BEST human beings and leaders you could meet. Alex used to run around our office when he was a little dude. His Dad was an INCREDIBLE teacher, a philosopher, a passionate motivator, absolutely hilarious sense of humor and could make you find the positive in anything. You could literally ask him for advice about anything business or personal related and he would give you a thoughtful answer that had you leaving the conversation always feeling like things would be okay no matter what. I guarantee that whether Alex is a vocal leader in the locker room or not (I have no idea whether he is), his dad's outlook and positive, passionate personality rubbed off on him and in turn his energy and personality is an asset to the team from a leadership standpoint.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

bdkipe wrote:STU / Duck07 and members who have been players/coaches at any level -

I'd be interested to hear y'all share your thoughts on the little things you see in the differences between Klemm and 'Bal/'Bal techs and teaching. I know Klemm mentioned when he had been here a few weeks there were some things he didn't agree with. He said something like (not exact quote), "there are things the previous coaches taught that aren't my style or I think we could change for the better." Again, it wasn't an exact quote but it was something like that.

ALSO..."smooth snap" (LOL) non-withstanding, I think a lot of credit should go to Alex as a leader of the line. Here's why. His dad Steve was one of my Sales Managers in radio back from 2001 through 2006 and was literally one of THE BEST human beings and leaders you could meet. Alex used to run around our office when he was a little dude. His Dad was an INCREDIBLE teacher, a philosopher, a passionate motivator, absolutely hilarious sense of humor and could make you find the positive in anything. You could literally ask him for advice about anything business or personal related and he would give you a thoughtful answer that had you leaving the conversation always feeling like things would be okay no matter what. I guarantee that whether Alex is a vocal leader in the locker room or not (I have no idea whether he is), his dad's outlook and positive, passionate personality rubbed off on him and in turn his energy and personality is an asset to the team from a leadership standpoint.
Hard for me to know what kind of techniques changes are different from the Bal^2 vs Klemm without trying to watch more film. Hand techniques, DL tells, anchoring are all things you'd need someone who has seen/heard the coaches. For me, one of the biggest changes was our dumb offense, where I felt like 85% of the time I knew which side we were running towards, which obviously puts your OL in a bad position if the D is keying hard on a 3/1 run. Stressing the edges where you can get a backer off a gap by half a step sometimes is the difference between sealing a lane inside or having a pile. At Miami right now though Tyler Van Dyke is having the Herbert Soph season where nobody can catch a ball but the run game has good numbers on paper. As STU has mentioned, is this just the Miami OL or is it the benefit of a run-focused offense where Defense's haven't scouted previous Oregon games?

The one player I've kind of been watching more than others on the OL this year has been RG Marcus Harper sandwiched between the 2 vets in Bass and Forsyth. We've been running behind him quite a bunch (Bass may turn out to be a decent Tackle but he still looks like a Guard to me next level) and I remember a moment with Josh Connerly playing (I think the OL went Connerly-Harper-JPJ-Iuli-Jaramillo) where it was a run left and immediately after the play Harper and Connerly were talking to each other to correct themselves on field even though it had no effect on the play. Iuli did look good as well getting set-up in pass pro but as a unit I'd say that the strength's are clearly in the run-blocking game right now.

Ryan Walk and Steven Jones are 2 vets who look like they're clearly being pushed out by Harper/JPJ. I know Jones apparently has an injury so its good to see young guys step up and look good.

That's a neat story about Alex. I think even though he's an older prospect he'd be a High-floor, Low-ceiling type Center in the NFL but he should definitely get drafted along with Bass this spring.