Hypothetical Playoff Chance For Oregon?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

SuperDuck
Senior

Hypothetical Playoff Chance For Oregon?

Post by SuperDuck »

It doesn't feel like the Ducks and playoffs should even be mentioned in the same breath. That is, after the beat down they took in Atlanta back in week one of the season.

That said, after looking at the Oregon schedule, we should be favored in every game, with the possible exception of Utah.

So, what if Oregon were to miraculously win out, get to 11-1, and then beat a highly ranked USC team in the Pac-12 Championship? Would a 12-1 record with good wins over USC, UW, Utah and BYU be enough?

I think if both Alabama and Georgia run the table and meet in the SEC Championship game, if it's close, they're both in.

That leaves 2 spots.

If both Michigan and Ohio State run the table, the loser might still have a chance - if it's a close game. The winner would be in, assuming they won the Big-10 Championship game, as well.

That leaves the Big-12. If Oklahoma wins out they'll be in. The same would likely happen if Texas wins out. If you're the playoff committee, who are you gonna take if it's between a 12-1 Texas, who lost by a point to Alabama, or a 12-1 Oregon, who got blown out by Georgia?

The answer to that is pretty simple.

That means that although the Ducks have ZERO margin for error, and definitely need help along the way as in a loss by Michigan, Ohio State or both, and a loss by Texas, they'd also need BYU, Utah and UW to keep winning, as well, there's still a chance. It's a very small one, but it's still there.

Thinking, hoping, wishing, dreaming out loud. :-)
John 3:36
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Re: Hypothetical Playoff Chance For Oregon?

Post by pezsez1 »

I do think we have a window and agree we'd need some help, but honestly I just want Oregon to win the Pac-12 title and re-establish itself as the crown jewel of the conference. Nothing would make me happier than to beat an overly inflated USC squad in the title game.

The playoff would be cool, but I still don't see a real contender when I look at our team. We're still short an elite offensive player to take us to the promise land.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

pezsez1 wrote:I do think we have a window and agree we'd need some help, but honestly I just want Oregon to win the Pac-12 title and re-establish itself as the crown jewel of the conference. Nothing would make me happier than to beat an overly inflated USC squad in the title game.

The playoff would be cool, but I still don't see a real contender when I look at our team. We're still short an elite offensive player to take us to the promise land.
I agree. There's just a small part of me that wants another shot at Georgia or Alabama. I can't see this team ever beating Georgia, maybe no one can, but I'd like to think we're better than 49-3. The jury is still out on how good Alabama is this year.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Best chance would be if the SEC catabolizes itself with upsets of their top teams by mid-level teams like MSU, Kentucky, A & M and Ole Miss so that after the SEC championship game (undefeated Georgia wins) no second place SEC team has less than 2 losses. Then losses by the Big-12 or ACC champ and the loss to Georgia first game is a better loss than the other conference champ have.

I am!
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

GrandpaDuck wrote:Best chance would be if the SEC canabolizes itself with upsets of their top teams by mid-level teams like MSU, Kentucky, A & M and Ole Miss so that after the SEC championship game (undefeated Georgia wins) no second place SEC team has less than 2 losses. Then losses by the Big-12 or ACC champ and the loss to Georgia first game is a better loss than the other conference champ have.

I am!
Great point! We can throw #10 Arkansas and even Florida and Tennessee into that group, as well. Alabama looked vulnerable. Georgia doesn't. An Alabama loss (Outside the championship game) would certainly change the outlook for the SEC.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Talk to me when we're about to play Utah, UW and OSU and I'll entertain this if we've only got 1 loss.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I don't think we're taking enough about a 12-0 Kansas.

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

StevensTechU wrote:I don't think we're taking enough about a 12-0 Kansas.

Or a 12-0 Duke.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

StevensTechU wrote:I don't think we're taking enough about a 12-0 Kansas.

Alabama vs Kansas tho, that would be cool if Alabama plays the same they did against Texas.

just kidding.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Well the thread was about what the most realistic hypothetical paths to the playoffs for Oregon were at this point.

The realistic paths for them not making it would take more electricity to post than mining a billion dollars in bitcoins.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

GrandpaDuck wrote:Well the thread was about what the most realistic hypothetical paths to the playoffs for Oregon were at this point.

The realistic paths for them not making it would take more electricity to post than mining a billion dollars in bitcoins.
Thank you!

My main point was that it's still not over. We've seen crazy things happen many times in college football, many of those on one single weekend of complete chaos.

The chances aren't good, but there's still a chance. I'm simply trying to engage in a conversation about it, that's all. It keeps the season more interesting knowing that all's not lost in that regard.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

Oregon was 5th ranked with loses to LSU and USC. I think some people think it's still the BCS era and perfection is needed. Georgia, Alabama and Ohio State/Michigan are taking spots. The question is can Oregon pass Clemson and Oklahoma. I don't think Oregon should be afraid Clemson at all. If Oregon beats all the Pac 12 schools with the BYU and a loss to the number 1 team they are in. The Pac 12 is no joke though even though the east coast pretends it is worse than the ACC.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Oklahoma and Texas both lost this weekend. Texas is out of it with 2 losses. OU dropped to #18 in the AP Poll.

Just sayin'. :-)
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

duck023 wrote:Oregon was 5th ranked with loses to LSU and USC. I think some people think it's still the BCS era and perfection is needed. Georgia, Alabama and Ohio State/Michigan are taking spots. The question is can Oregon pass Clemson and Oklahoma. I don't think Oregon should be afraid Clemson at all. If Oregon beats all the Pac 12 schools with the BYU and a loss to the number 1 team they are in. The Pac 12 is no joke though even though the east coast pretends it is worse than the ACC.
I agree that Oregon is better than Clemson, but an unbeaten Clemson gets in over a1 loss Oregon team. Yeah that one loss came to the number one team, but it was an ass kicking
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

College Football News is projecting us to make the College Football Playoff, with us vs Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl