Mutual Interest between Auburn and Dan Lanning?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Normally I wouldn’t even post about this but with our recent history I can’t help but be worried and wonder. Seen some reports Lanning is interested in the Auburn job and may depart for it soon. Probably false rumors but again, recent history makes me worried.

https://www.si.com/college/auburn/.amp/ ... aching-job

https://flywareagle.com/2022/11/04/aubu ... earch/amp/
greenyellow

Re: Mutual Interest between Auburn and Dan Lanning?

Post by greenyellow »

There are no reputable sources here except fans some Auburn fans making stuff up.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

If UGA or the chiefs become open, then illl worry. Not a team that is only the second best job in its own state, and like 6 in the sec.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Normally I wouldn’t even post about this but with our recent history I can’t help but be worried and wonder. Seen some reports Lanning is interested in the Auburn job and may depart for it soon. Probably false rumors but again, recent history makes me worried.

https://www.si.com/college/auburn/.amp/ ... aching-job

https://flywareagle.com/2022/11/04/aubu ... earch/amp/
Rule of thumb, if you ever have to ask yourself 'should I post this'? The , answer is a simple one, don't.

This also reeks of 'typical Auburn' and also one of their major problems, they think everyone is interested in that job. Everytime they have an opening, every successful, major college coach wants the job, according to every Auburn source.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I'm glad it was posted, and we would be dumb to not take the threat seriously after losing the last two coaches to other schools from the same region. Losing Lanning at this juncture would typecast Oregon as a stepping stone school. Hopefully the Oregon A.D. was smart enough to put a big buyout or some other kind of poison pill in Lanning's contract.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

This is absolutely insane to even bring this up right now.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Auburn will be looking for a coach with a long strong history of proven success. Lanning doesn't check any of their boxes at this point.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Phalanx wrote:I'm glad it was posted, and we would be dumb to not take the threat seriously after losing the last two coaches to other schools from the same region. Losing Lanning at this juncture would typecast Oregon as a stepping stone school. Hopefully the Oregon A.D. was smart enough to put a big buyout or some other kind of poison pill in Lanning's contract.
Thanks! This is a forum after all, the point of a forum is discussion. I’m not making claims or claiming to have sources, just posting this for discussion and yeah cause of how Willie and Mario left I am a little worried when I shouldn’t be.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

squintsdd wrote:Auburn will be looking for a coach with a long strong history of proven success. Lanning doesn't check any of their boxes at this point.
This may be true, but they may not find that. The real question is bigger than Auburn having an opening. Lanning has done a remarkable job in his first year. He’s going to be on some short lists very soon. This is going to come down to what Lanning wants , if not this year then next..
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

If Lanning continues on this trajectory he will eventually outgrow Oregon but this ain’t it. And out of the last 3 coaches we’ve had I think he’s the most likely to stay for a while.

You have to remember our past two coaches left for their alma mater and hometown school. It’s not like we’ve been getting ditched for the first school that came calling.

duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
Phalanx wrote:I'm glad it was posted, and we would be dumb to not take the threat seriously after losing the last two coaches to other schools from the same region. Losing Lanning at this juncture would typecast Oregon as a stepping stone school. Hopefully the Oregon A.D. was smart enough to put a big buyout or some other kind of poison pill in Lanning's contract.
Thanks! This is a forum after all, the point of a forum is discussion. I’m not making claims or claiming to have sources, just posting this for discussion and yeah cause of how Willie and Mario left I am a little worried when I shouldn’t be.
I get that discussions that might not be popular amongst the fans do need to happen. However, I'm not sure it's good to bring up distractions especially in the late part of the year when Oregon is competing for so much. I hope everyone can remain positive with that nothing to lose attitude that we all had after the Georgia game. Oregon is still the underdog with nothing to lose so keep that mentality!
Last edited by duck023 on Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

The list of coaches who have left after only 1 season is VERY short and it's not a list you want to be on.

Lanning is a smart guy, who won't jump to anything after only 1 season.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

A guy Auburn should look at is the current head coach at UCF. Gus Mahlzan.

I love what Lanning has done at Oregon so far and I hope he stays a long time. That said, I can't imagine anyone at another major school wanting him until he's had continued success for at least 2-3 years. There's no way to know how good he'll be bringing in at least a couple more recruiting classes, without a great QB, a good OL etc.

I thought that if he were looking to jump back to the SEC, TA&M might be the destination, simply because they're loaded with talent.
John 3:36